Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mandatory closure, but have to come to work

Options
  • 13-03-2020 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

So a friend works in a creche which is obviously under a closure order.

They've been told to come to work as normal, full time each day during the closure, in order to deep clean everything every day.

Is this legal? No hazchem training has been done.

I'm encouraging them to go for it because it means they'll still be paid, which makes sense to me, but unsure as to if they're meant to stay home or not!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Why would a place which is closed need to be deep cleaned each day?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

is it legal to go work is your question?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭han2000

I'd scrub the toilets with my toothbrush if it meant I'd still get my wages :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,386 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I think it’s sensible to keep people working but you’d imagine they’d run out of work after a few days unless they’re going to redecorate which would probably be beyond their brief

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

They are keeping the staff on and paying them rather than temporarily laying them off without pay, which is preferable to you op?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Most preschools would be sterilisating ,some do it during midterms or on close Days ,
    I'd rather be doing something and getting paid than being laid off

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

Dav010 wrote: »
    They are keeping the staff on and paying them rather than temporarily laying them off without pay, which is preferable to you op?

As I very clearly said in my OP, I'm on the employer's side! Seems totally sensible to me!

Gatling wrote: »
    Most preschools would be sterilisating ,some do it during midterms or on close Days ,
    I'd rather be doing something and getting paid than being laid off

That's how I'm phrasing it to them myself. Makes far more sense to go in and find work to do and get paid

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭racersedge

We did this ourselves today. A proper deep clean of the place and means we got paid for today. Potentially, depending on circumstances, we will be in again to finish setting up the areas ahead of a potential return and ensuring all our paperwork and planning is up to date during this time as well (so we early years educators aren’t just off and on holidays as I’ve read in some of the other threads that we don’t do any work during this time).

Personally felt it made a lot of sense to do it today as getting motivation to do it after a few days away would be a pain. We got clearance for insurance etc that it was grand for us to be there. I’d be in each day if it mean the wages were constant instead of needing to head down to the social welfare now come next week to see what the story is..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Schools etc are closed to get the kids home.
    The workers are at no greater risk than any of us that have to work in offices etc any day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭ted1

PmMeUrDogs wrote: »
    So a friend works in a creche which is obviously under a closure order.

They've been told to come to work as normal, full time each day during the closure, in order to deep clean everything every day.

Is this legal? No hazchem training has been done.

I'm encouraging them to go for it because it means they'll still be paid, which makes sense to me, but unsure as to if they're meant to stay home or not!

Why would it not be legal ?

More importantly, are they qualified to perform this deep clean and is it in their remit?

I can clean my house, but health and safety prevents me from cleaning my workplace using chemicals. It's also not my job, there's people employed to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

It's also not my job, there's people employed to do it.

This would be an idiotic comment at the best of times.

Welcome to extraordinary times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

More importantly, are they qualified to perform this deep clean and is it in their remit?

I can clean my house, but health and safety prevents me from cleaning my workplace using chemicals. It's also not my job, there's people employed to do it.

If you were on the Titanic and you were told to operate the bucket to empty water, you would argue it was beneath you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

..........but health and safety prevents me from cleaning my workplace using chemicals.

Clue: Do not breath in chemicals, aim nozzle away from face, do not consume cleaning agents. Just a guess!

If I was in your work place at the airport I would be swabbing everything down with Isopropyl Alcohol. We are all in this together, pull together.

No hazchem training obviously but to be fair, it's not difficult to use cleaning chemicals properly. Don't breathe in bleach, sorted.

I've convinced her to take the offer because at least her employer is trying to keep her employed and paid, which is good!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Anyone who is not competent to read and follow the instructions printed on cleaning products should NOT be working as a teacher, for children of any age group.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭paddythere

My mother is on a CE scheme working in a museum which will be closed. They have been told they have to come in anyway. As she is nearly 60, she will be leaving as it is not worth it for the extra 20 quid they give u for it. Perfectly understandable as she has to travel by public transport to get to and from the place

Advertisement