Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
13-03-2020, 19:14   #1
PmMeUrDogs
Registered User
 
PmMeUrDogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 117
Mandatory closure, but have to come to work

So a friend works in a creche which is obviously under a closure order.

They've been told to come to work as normal, full time each day during the closure, in order to deep clean everything every day.


Is this legal? No hazchem training has been done.


I'm encouraging them to go for it because it means they'll still be paid, which makes sense to me, but unsure as to if they're meant to stay home or not!
PmMeUrDogs is offline  
Advertisement
13-03-2020, 19:16   #2
Rubberchikken
Registered User
 
Rubberchikken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 3,901
Why would a place which is closed need to be deep cleaned each day?
Rubberchikken is offline  
Thanks from:
13-03-2020, 19:16   #3
EverythingGood
Registered User
 
EverythingGood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,721
is it legal to go work is your question?
EverythingGood is offline  
Thanks from:
13-03-2020, 19:19   #4
han2000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 66
I'd scrub the toilets with my toothbrush if it meant I'd still get my wages
han2000 is offline  
13-03-2020, 19:19   #5
road_high
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 13,960
I think it’s sensible to keep people working but you’d imagine they’d run out of work after a few days unless they’re going to redecorate which would probably be beyond their brief
road_high is offline  
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
13-03-2020, 19:29   #6
Dav010
Registered User
 
Dav010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 2,777
They are keeping the staff on and paying them rather than temporarily laying them off without pay, which is preferable to you op?
Dav010 is offline  
13-03-2020, 19:32   #7
Gatling
Registered User
 
Gatling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 22,916
Most preschools would be sterilisating ,some do it during midterms or on close Days ,
I'd rather be doing something and getting paid than being laid off
Gatling is offline  
(3) thanks from:
13-03-2020, 19:38   #8
PmMeUrDogs
Registered User
 
PmMeUrDogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav010 View Post
They are keeping the staff on and paying them rather than temporarily laying them off without pay, which is preferable to you op?
As I very clearly said in my OP, I'm on the employer's side! Seems totally sensible to me!
PmMeUrDogs is offline  
13-03-2020, 19:38   #9
PmMeUrDogs
Registered User
 
PmMeUrDogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatling View Post
Most preschools would be sterilisating ,some do it during midterms or on close Days ,
I'd rather be doing something and getting paid than being laid off
That's how I'm phrasing it to them myself. Makes far more sense to go in and find work to do and get paid
PmMeUrDogs is offline  
Advertisement
13-03-2020, 19:43   #10
racersedge
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 298
We did this ourselves today. A proper deep clean of the place and means we got paid for today. Potentially, depending on circumstances, we will be in again to finish setting up the areas ahead of a potential return and ensuring all our paperwork and planning is up to date during this time as well (so we early years educators aren’t just off and on holidays as I’ve read in some of the other threads that we don’t do any work during this time).

Personally felt it made a lot of sense to do it today as getting motivation to do it after a few days away would be a pain. We got clearance for insurance etc that it was grand for us to be there. I’d be in each day if it mean the wages were constant instead of needing to head down to the social welfare now come next week to see what the story is..
racersedge is offline  
(2) thanks from:
14-03-2020, 14:45   #11
_Brian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 14,617
Schools etc are closed to get the kids home.
The workers are at no greater risk than any of us that have to work in offices etc any day.
_Brian is offline  
14-03-2020, 14:46   #12
ted1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 17,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by PmMeUrDogs View Post
So a friend works in a creche which is obviously under a closure order.

They've been told to come to work as normal, full time each day during the closure, in order to deep clean everything every day.


Is this legal? No hazchem training has been done.


I'm encouraging them to go for it because it means they'll still be paid, which makes sense to me, but unsure as to if they're meant to stay home or not!
Why would it not be legal ?
ted1 is offline  
15-03-2020, 07:46   #13
Niner leprauchan
Registered User
 
Niner leprauchan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 875
More importantly, are they qualified to perform this deep clean and is it in their remit?

I can clean my house, but health and safety prevents me from cleaning my workplace using chemicals. It's also not my job, there's people employed to do it.
Niner leprauchan is offline  
15-03-2020, 07:49   #14
The Bishop Basher
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niner leprauchan View Post
It's also not my job, there's people employed to do it.
This would be an idiotic comment at the best of times.

Welcome to extraordinary times.
The Bishop Basher is offline  
15-03-2020, 10:06   #15
skooterblue2
Registered User
 
skooterblue2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niner leprauchan View Post
More importantly, are they qualified to perform this deep clean and is it in their remit?

I can clean my house, but health and safety prevents me from cleaning my workplace using chemicals. It's also not my job, there's people employed to do it.
If you were on the Titanic and you were told to operate the bucket to empty water, you would argue it was beneath you.
skooterblue2 is offline  
Thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet