Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Covid19 FPL Implications

• 13-03-2020 10:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭

Meeting to take place this morning.

As bad and all as it sounds, I'll be gutted if the season doesn't finish as my team was just starting to make progress.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Gw 31 wont be happening and when it does it wont be a blank. Loads of prior decisions have been made based on GW 31. I know its a game of chance but this season if it ever gets finished has turned into pure lottery.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭jaykay74

If there are no games this weekend will it count as a gameweek and you would have 2 transfers next week instead of 1 (whenever the next actual gameweek would be!).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

What will you do with your money leagues if everything gets called off?

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭The Megaphone

Will someone please think of the children cash leagues!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

callaway92 wrote: »
    What will you do with your money leagues if everything gets called off?

Whatever FPL do
    If they award prizes based on current standings then that’s what mini leagues should do

If they scrap the whole season then sadly that’s what mini leagues should do

Personally I think the euros will be moved and leagues finished
    Lack of a wildcard could be catastrophic then !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Gary Neville Retweeted
    Matt Hughes
    @MattHughesDM
    5m
    Announcement that Prem Lge and EFL to be suspended until weekend of 4 April expected around 11am.

Feck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

I've no doubt (at the moment!) that leagues will be finished. There is too much at stake as regards European places, relegation, promotion etc.

The Euros will be postponed a year and leagues will restart whenever. Next season might have a delayed start and I wouldnt be surprised if the FA Cup gets scrapped for this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

jaykay74 wrote: »
    If there are no games this weekend will it count as a gameweek and you would have 2 transfers next week instead of 1 (whenever the next actual gameweek would be!).

There was a time when they said that the gw dates are fixed and any changes will just slide into whatever gw they go into. This is obviously a very unique situation so I would imagine they'll be a little more sensible. They could say gw30 is whenever the next round of games is then put each further gameweek as normal after that. Would make sense and hard for anyone to see it as unfair. To be honest I'd be cool with whatever they wanted to do.

Benimar wrote: »
    I've no doubt (at the moment!) that leagues will be finished. There is too much at stake as regards European places, relegation, promotion etc.

The Euros will be postponed a year and leagues will restart whenever. Next season might have a delayed start and I wouldnt be surprised if the FA Cup gets scrapped for this season.

It would make sense if leagues across Europe do the same thing so teams in one country don't see it as unfair if a team in another country got something that would have benefitted them. I would imagine this will be something discussed in UEFAs Tuesday meeting along with the Euros. I think it will bet played out too the whole situation just gets so complicated if it's not and theres so much money involved it would no doubt drag on for years. Speculation relegation and promotion might it happen seems mad the clubs not being promoted would rightly be livid!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

I held off on making any of my 2FT this week despite price changes ........I expect that anyone who did make a transfer has lost it
    Otherwise everyone will have to be given another ...........

Whatever game week is played next will become gw 31. This will most likely be gw 33
    I’m afraid to check my teams fixtures for that one !

Omg
    Pool away to city
    Bad bad bad
    Wildcards are invaluable now :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,351 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Euros will be Summer 2021 so season will be extended, I assume

• Registered Users Posts: 32,768 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Low in the list of real world worries at the moment, but from an FPL perspective, you wouldnt want to be one of the people who made an early transfer at the start of this gameweek!!!

Agree. I can see a situation of this season being completed and possibly sacrificing the 20/21 season. Too much at stake to just void 19/20.

Suspended until April 4th

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

So gameweek's 30 and 31 are gone.

GetWithIt wrote: »
    So gameweek's 30 and 31 are gone.

Or gameweek 30 deadline becomes April 4th? I'd imagine we'll hear soon so it's easier for people outside the UK to get updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,638 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

jimmii wrote: »
    It would make sense if leagues across Europe do the same thing so teams in one country don't see it as unfair if a team in another country got something that would have benefitted them. I would imagine this will be something discussed in UEFAs Tuesday meeting along with the Euros. I think it will bet played out too the whole situation just gets so complicated if it's not and theres so much money involved it would no doubt drag on for years. Speculation relegation and promotion might it happen seems mad the clubs not being promoted would rightly be livid!

I was saying to a mate yesterday that easiest way around that would be - no PL team gets relegated and top 2 in EFL go up straight away - and the. Maybe have a playoff between the teams 3-6 in the league. Obv issue with that is uneven number of teams but it would be fairer - alternatively only allow two teams up if want to keep it even.

Then next season 6 teams would go down and balance out like that.

Ace2007 wrote: »
    I was saying to a mate yesterday that easiest way around that would be - no PL team gets relegated and top 2 in EFL go up straight away - and the. Maybe have a playoff between the teams 3-6 in the league. Obv issue with that is uneven number of teams but it would be fairer - alternatively only allow two teams up if want to keep it even.

Its actually not. That creates 44 matches next season, as well as huge issues around other leagues. There is promotion/relegation from those too!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

First world problems for sure, but can't say I'm not gutted that this is happening this year when I'm having a good crack at top 1k. Rest of the season will be a lottery now if it even happens.

Looking at the fixtures on the FPL site, they have GW32 on April 4th. I'm assuming they're just guessing like everyone else.

• Advertisement

Ace2007 wrote: »

That's madness. But also totally awesome! Doubt they'll do anything quite that interesting but would be impressive if they did!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

km79 wrote: »
    Whatever FPL do
    If they award prizes based on current standings then that’s what mini leagues should do

If they scrap the whole season then sadly that’s what mini leagues should do

Personally I think the euros will be moved and leagues finished
    Lack of a wildcard could be catastrophic then !

They could give out an extra wildcard. Precedent a few years ago when the site crashed before opening day. They probably wont as it would be quite unfair but its a possibility

Lundstram wrote: »
    Looking at the fixtures on the FPL site, they have GW32 on April 4th. I'm assuming they're just guessing like everyone else.

Yeah looks quite messy on the fixtures section on player info! Going to be fairly up in the air for a while presumably. Hard for them to do much until they know what UEFA intend to do.

They could give out an extra wildcard. Precedent a few years ago when the site crashed before opening day. They probably wont as it would be quite unfair but its a possibility

That only happened because not everyone was affected. This time everyone is in the same boat so would be strange to be able to select a new team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭nullObjects

Wonder if they will freeze price changes for now as well
    Can't be dealing with the stress of checking the price changes every day without even knowing who's playing next!

• Registered Users Posts: 42,079 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Wonder if they will freeze price changes for now as well
    Can't be dealing with the stress of checking the price changes every day without even knowing who's playing next!

I’d say they will with no fixtures for three weeks.

• Site Banned Posts: 33 Doctor Shipman

I’d say they will with no fixtures for three weeks.

I'd say 3 months. The situation in the UK will be worse in 3 weeks time than it is now.

I'd say 3 months. The situation in the UK will be worse in 3 weeks time than it is now.

Yeah seems pretty optimistic to think it'll be up and running as normal then given the government advice is we're a couple of months off the peak. Probably just an attempt to keep it close enough that people don't get too bored too quickly. Seems unlikely football will be back up and running if we have 100k cases in the UK come April.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SkySter

I think it's possible the league could run into late June with the new season starting September. Possible cancellation of other comps like league Cup and FA cup may happen to get the season calendar realigned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,638 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

https://www.forbes.com/sites/manuelveth/2020/03/12/coronavirus-bundesliga-responds-with-ghost-games-and-prepares-for-the-worst/#4b81db44393a
    jimmii wrote: »
    That's madness. But also totally awesome! Doubt they'll do anything quite that interesting but would be impressive if they did!

In Germany they have basically said this will be an option if the league gets cancelled
    There are also plans in place should the league be canceled. In that case, there will be no champion at the end of the season. The teams in the European places after matchday 26 would qualify for the Champions League and Europa League. No teams would be relegated, instead, four teams from Bundesliga 2 would be promoted and the 2021/22 season would be played with 22 teams.

At the end of the 2021/22 season, four teams would be directly relegated, and the fifth last team would play a relegation playoff against the third team from Bundesliga 2. The Bundesliga would then follow the model of other major European leagues and play with 20 teams going forward.

Its actually not. That creates 44 matches next season, as well as huge issues around other leagues. There is promotion/relegation from those too!

Could just work backwards, and have less teams in some leagues and more in others - at the end of the day - legal action by some championship/league one teams would be better than a cluster of Premier league teams..

Advertisement