Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

13-03-2020, 07:03   #1
Cal04

Which travel insurance to go with

Due to go to Spain in June. Granted things may have changed but need to book travel insurance. Flights with Ryanair, accomadation with alpharooms. Any recommendations please
Advertisement
13-03-2020, 07:06   #2
Pkiernan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal04 View Post
Due to go to Spain in June. Granted things may have changed but need to book travel insurance. Flights with Ryanair, accomadation with alpharooms. Any recommendations please
You may struggle to purchase a policy now that will cover cancellation or interruption on a holiday to Spain.

I have VHI multitrip, but this was purchased last year.
Thanks from:
13-03-2020, 07:46   #3
Fr_Dougal

You won’t get cover relating to the current pandemic. Make sure you get cover for illness and travel curtailment. Best advice is to ring and not to just buy online.
13-03-2020, 08:07   #4

You reminded me to cancel my travel insurance renewal ðŸ˜
(2) thanks from:
13-03-2020, 08:37   #5
mariaalice

If there is a travel advisory from the government you will be most likely covered but check you policy.

If you do not go because you are concerned about the covoid 19 then you will not be covered if the country does not have a travel advisory.

A few countries have a travel advisory.
Advertisement
13-03-2020, 10:14   #6
Fr_Dougal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariaalice View Post
If there is a travel advisory from the government you will be most likely covered but check you policy.

If you do not go because you are concerned about the covoid 19 then you will not be covered if the country does not have a travel advisory.

A few countries have a travel advisory.
If the government has advised not to travel, or not to travel to a region; the insurance policy will be invalid.
13-03-2020, 10:27   #7
mariaalice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr_Dougal View Post
If the government has advised not to travel, or not to travel to a region; the insurance policy will be invalid.
I am talking about people who already have a policy I always buy a yearly policy.

The idiocy of peopel who think they can go and buy a policy now that will cover 19 you would have to wonder.
Thanks from:
13-03-2020, 10:33   #8
mariaalice

https://www.vhi.ie/downloads/Coronav...omerAdvice.pdf

Vhi will provide cover for customer’s trips to affected areas where there is advice from the DFA not
to travel, provided the policy and the trip was in place before the DFA advised against non-essential
travel.
To
13-03-2020, 10:33   #9
Mr E
Administrator

Mod: Moving to travel forum.
Advertisement
13-03-2020, 10:36   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariaalice View Post
https://www.vhi.ie/downloads/Coronav...omerAdvice.pdf

Vhi will provide cover for customer’s trips to affected areas where there is advice from the DFA not
to travel, provided the policy and the trip was in place before the DFA advised against non-essential
travel.
To
VHI also have a higher level of cover compared to multitrip.com who despite pushing the Premium & Premium Plus coverage when I was talking to them failed to mention that the level of Disruption coverage for all 3 plans is the same and considerably less than needed to cover what I have already paid.

VHI will cover up to €10K but multitrip.com is only about €2K with differing levels of excess based on the plan.
Thanks from:
13-03-2020, 10:39   #11
mariaalice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salary Negotiator View Post
VHI also have a higher level of cover compared to multitrip.com who despite pushing the Premium & Premium Plus coverage when I was talking to them failed to mention that the level of Disruption coverage for all 3 plans is the same and considerably less than needed to cover what I have already paid.

VHI will cover up to €10K but multitrip.com is only about €2K with differing levels of excess based on the plan.
2k woud be enough cover for us, so a lot depends on personal needs but yeah they should be explaining that to people.
16-03-2020, 11:48   #12
Gael23

If you have health insurance my advice would be to go with them
17-03-2020, 09:59   #13
Comhra

A word of caution re travel insurance.

in 2017 I went to Lanzarote for a week. Used a local travel agent as I wanted a specific accommodation and I also bought my travel insurance from them, using Blue Insurance.

The lady in the agency advised me to phone Blue Insurance as I had a companion with me who had some specific health needs. While speaking to them I discovered they do not offer travel cover to anyone taking blood-pressure medication.

I'm on a tiny dose of such medication as a preventative and otherwise healthy but they refused point blank to give me cover. Turned out I used Blue the previous year and had I fallen ill overseas, I'd have been on my own.

I subsequently bought insurance from my Health Insurance provider.

Always be sure to ask if the insurance company have such exclusions before buying.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion