Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which travel insurance to go with

• 13-03-2020 7:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭

Due to go to Spain in June. Granted things may have changed but need to book travel insurance. Flights with Ryanair, accomadation with alpharooms. Any recommendations please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Cal04 wrote: »
    Due to go to Spain in June. Granted things may have changed but need to book travel insurance. Flights with Ryanair, accomadation with alpharooms. Any recommendations please

You may struggle to purchase a policy now that will cover cancellation or interruption on a holiday to Spain.

I have VHI multitrip, but this was purchased last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

You won’t get cover relating to the current pandemic. Make sure you get cover for illness and travel curtailment. Best advice is to ring and not to just buy online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

You reminded me to cancel my travel insurance renewal ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 12,325 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

If there is a travel advisory from the government you will be most likely covered but check you policy.

If you do not go because you are concerned about the covoid 19 then you will not be covered if the country does not have a travel advisory.

A few countries have a travel advisory.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

mariaalice wrote: »
    If there is a travel advisory from the government you will be most likely covered but check you policy.

If you do not go because you are concerned about the covoid 19 then you will not be covered if the country does not have a travel advisory.

A few countries have a travel advisory.

If the government has advised not to travel, or not to travel to a region; the insurance policy will be invalid.

• Advertisement

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    If the government has advised not to travel, or not to travel to a region; the insurance policy will be invalid.

I am talking about people who already have a policy I always buy a yearly policy.

The idiocy of peopel who think they can go and buy a policy now that will cover 19 you would have to wonder.

https://www.vhi.ie/downloads/CoronavirusCustomerAdvice.pdf

Vhi will provide cover for customer’s trips to affected areas where there is advice from the DFA not
    to travel, provided the policy and the trip was in place before the DFA advised against non-essential
    travel.
    To

• Registered Users Posts: 55,433 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Mod: Moving to travel forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

mariaalice wrote: »
    https://www.vhi.ie/downloads/CoronavirusCustomerAdvice.pdf

Vhi will provide cover for customer’s trips to affected areas where there is advice from the DFA not
    to travel, provided the policy and the trip was in place before the DFA advised against non-essential
    travel.
    To

VHI also have a higher level of cover compared to multitrip.com who despite pushing the Premium & Premium Plus coverage when I was talking to them failed to mention that the level of Disruption coverage for all 3 plans is the same and considerably less than needed to cover what I have already paid.

VHI will cover up to €10K but multitrip.com is only about €2K with differing levels of excess based on the plan.

VHI also have a higher level of cover compared to multitrip.com who despite pushing the Premium & Premium Plus coverage when I was talking to them failed to mention that the level of Disruption coverage for all 3 plans is the same and considerably less than needed to cover what I have already paid.

VHI will cover up to €10K but multitrip.com is only about €2K with differing levels of excess based on the plan.

2k woud be enough cover for us, so a lot depends on personal needs but yeah they should be explaining that to people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,076 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

If you have health insurance my advice would be to go with them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭Comhrá

A word of caution re travel insurance.

in 2017 I went to Lanzarote for a week. Used a local travel agent as I wanted a specific accommodation and I also bought my travel insurance from them, using Blue Insurance.

The lady in the agency advised me to phone Blue Insurance as I had a companion with me who had some specific health needs. While speaking to them I discovered they do not offer travel cover to anyone taking blood-pressure medication.

I'm on a tiny dose of such medication as a preventative and otherwise healthy but they refused point blank to give me cover. Turned out I used Blue the previous year and had I fallen ill overseas, I'd have been on my own.

I subsequently bought insurance from my Health Insurance provider.

Always be sure to ask if the insurance company have such exclusions before buying.

Advertisement