Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona virus and marts

• 09-03-2020 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,304 ✭✭✭✭

With the pandemic picking up pace, if Ireland sees many more cases of infection through people to people contact I can foresee large gatherings such as marts being suspended. That's the only way I can get my stock .
    So my question is ,given that if I can't stock my land and claim my entitlements this year they'll be taken off me and go back to the National Reserve!
    Will they go ahead with this given the unforeseen circumstances??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,464 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Marts in particular would be a concern due to the demographics. At the best of days it’s a massive collection of auld fellas coughing and wheezing jammed in round the ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,249 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

cjmc wrote: »
    With the pandemic picking up pace, if Ireland sees many more cases of infection through people to people contact I can foresee large gatherings such as marts being suspended. That's the only way I can get my stock .
    So my question is ,given that if I can't stock my land and claim my entitlements this year they'll be taken off me and go back to the National Reserve!

Nonsense post.
    Are we to risk the health of the nation in case you lose your entitlements?
    Surely you can buy in stock in some other way such as direct from neighbouring farm or somesuch?

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

mickdw wrote: »
    Nonsense post.
    Surely you can buy in stock in some other way such as direct from neighbouring farm or somesuch?

Most marts now days lads drop off the stock and go and the mart will ring u after there sold with the bad news would be a bigger crowd in a village shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,464 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Most marts now days lads drop off the stock and go and the mart will ring u after there sold with the bad news would be a bigger crowd in a village shop.

No way are most cattle sold like that. Any time I’m in the mart it must be 95% cattle sold by Simeon in the sellers box. There would be a few cattle sold subject each mart but very few.

Its exceptionally rare for the seller not to be in the box at our mart and the place is packed every Saturday. Can be hard to even get parking at times when you come back in with the car after dropping stock earlier. So I'd find it hard to believe you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭1373

Nonsense post.
    It’s not a nonsense post ,the op is looking out for his business and being pro active instead of reactive

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

Its exceptionally rare for the seller not to be in the box at our mart and the place is packed every Saturday. Can be hard to even get parking at times when you come back in with the car after dropping stock earlier. So I'd find it hard to believe you.

Last mart I was in was 400 plus cows going true the ring if there was 15 sellers watching on it would be about it lots of jobbers around the ring alright they get no virus !

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭st1979

If you can't buy stock why would you lose entitlements. You won't get disadvantage payment without 0.15 lu/ha for 7 consecutive months but you can still claim your bps entitlements. And considering beef prices you might be better off

• Registered Users Posts: 13,304 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Nonsense post.

Nonsense post??
    Yeah I have options.
    Drive around the country picking up 2 or 3 here and there.
    DoneDeal?
    Or go to marts where sellers and buyers meet and deals are done.!
    I am not putting the nation's health at risk, nor am I asking you to put your health or anybody else's at risk.
    I was simply asking a question that if marts and other gatherings are suspended will the current rules regarding 2020 bps rules still apply.
    Fcucking imbecile of a post

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭st1979

Nonsense post??
    Yeah I have options.
    DoneDeal?
    I am not putting the nation's health at risk, nor am I asking you to put your health or anybody else's at risk.
    I was simply asking a question that if marts and other gatherings are suspended will the current rules regarding 2020 bps rules still apply.

What rules?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Last mart I was in was 400 plus cows going true the ring if there was 15 sellers watching on it would be about it lots of jobbers around the ring alright they get no virus !

Were they mainly dairy cull cows by any chance?

st1979 wrote: »
    What rules?

That any entitlements not claimed this year will revert to the national reserve

It may not be bps , but EU money generally

• Registered Users Posts: 18,112 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

First off you do not need to stock your land to collect BPS. For ANC it 0.15 LU over 12 months with 0.3 over 6 month. 60 acre farm needs 9-10 two year old bullocks or cull cows to draw ANC and ANC is drawable on an annual basis it is not affected by national reserve

Now marts were closed during the Foot and mouth and farming survived and DD was not in existence. No marts nobody billing you on price in a farmers yard

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭tanko

Do you need to have any cattle to claim the BPS payment (single farm payment)? I think you just need to keep your land in good agricultural condition.
    Just keeping land topped will do this.

As for the ANC payment, the stocking rate is very low, it shouldn't be too hard to pick up a few cattle to fulfil this.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

The success of that sale would have a lot to do with the fact that it's held on a Saturday imo. It's the same reason that many marts have moved to Saturday or night sales from day sales during the week. It gives the part-timer's (which most younger lad's are nowadays especially in beef/sheep) the opportunity to attend the sale without clashing with off farm employment.

If you attended a similar day sale midweek you'd probably see a very different demographic. I was working at such a sale last week and by my reckoning the average age of the buyer's, seller's and spectators was 70+ year's of age. In most cases lad's that are away working will send there father to the mart to do the business or employ a neighbor/haulier.

As Brian noted above the mart is a social gathering for older men as there the only one's with enough free time in many cases to attend. I'm told that those over 60 are the most likely to become fatalities from the virus so it would be of concern to many mart regulars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

Why do you need to go to the mart to put in your bps application??

I'm with Mick on this one. You did say in the OP that the mart is "the only way I can get my stock" when that is patently false.

Nonsense post??
    Yeah I have options.
    DoneDeal?

There are 80 year old single men all over the country managing to stock their land to a level that mantains farm payments yet you are looking to get a relaxation to the stocking requirement. Id suggest if you cannot maintain such a stock then you need to look at your whole set up and see if you are really farming at all

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

_Brian wrote: »
    Marts in particular would be a concern due to the demographics. At the best of days it’s a massive collection of auld fellas coughing and wheezing jammed in round the ring.

The most vunreble ones would The the usual dealers at the ring literally hanging off each other. You know the type. That level of close proximity is a danger

There are 80 year old single men all over the country managing to stock their land to a level that mantains farm payments yet you are looking to get a relaxation to the stocking requirement. Id suggest if you cannot maintain such a stock then you need to look at your whole set up and see if you are really farming at all

I'm not "looking for a relaxation" in anything !!
    I asked a QUESTION that IF this virus becomes an epidemic in Ireland and IF gatherings such as a mart are closed how will I get the stock I am looking for. Listening to Convey on TV it's a possibility depending on the spread of COVID19
    And WILL there, possibility be provision made for that.?
    That's all I asked so pipe down and go sit in your Jeep to cool down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

I asked a QUESTION that IF this virus becomes an epidemic in Ireland and IF gatherings such as a mart are closed how will I get the stock I am looking for. Listening to Convey on TV it's a possibility depending on the spread of COVID19

Anybody that’s farming and drawing down BPS know the rules plain and simple, if the virus takes off ( god forbid) it will a nation emergency and everything will be out the window and saving lives. So maybe leaving the trolling lie for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭older by the day

We're the marts closed for foot and mouth. I can't remember. There are plenty of dealers and cattle haulers that would supply you with cattle. I suppose it will only be for a month if it is closed. Our descendants survived famines and rationing and civil war. Blast it don't be getting excited

Jeep? I dont know what you are getting at but that wouldnt be my style.

Anybody that’s farming and drawing down BPS know the rules plain and simple, if the virus takes off ( god forbid) it will a nation emergency and everything will be out the window and saving lives. So maybe leaving the trolling lie for now.

What trolling?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭older by the day

What trolling?

I suppose it's rolling with a t in front of it.

I suppose it's rolling with a t in front of it.

I didn't ask what IS trolling.:)
    I asked why I am being accused of trolling

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Lads.
    Reign it in a bit please. Particularly the accusations of trolling. Back on topic. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭tanko

We're the marts closed for foot and mouth. I can't remember. There are plenty of dealers and cattle haulers that would supply you with cattle. I suppose it will only be for a month if it is closed. Our descendants survived famines and rationing and civil war. Blast it don't be getting excited

Marts were closed from February 28th to June 18th 2001.
    I didn't think it was so long. How did dairy farmers manage with their calves??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

tanko wrote: »
    Marts were closed from February 28th to June 18th 2001.
    I didn't think it was so long. How did dairy farmers manage with their calves??

Back then we had quotas so alot kept their calves anyway.we went back to our SAS training and we "adapted and survived ".personally i think this whole thing is getting out of hand.people in at risk groups should.take precautions and isolate but now you have swathes of people being knocked out of the system even though it would only mean a dose of the flu to most.that said ill probably moan plenty when i get it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,672 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Can't believe it's that long since Foot & Mouth.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

Advertisement