Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

02-03-2020, 15:28   #1
fitzparker

Thailand

A few friends will be in thailand for the summer (phuket)

I can get cheap flights (1 stopover with cathay Airlines if anyone has any info) and I was thinking of heading over to meet them for a few days.

Do you think its worth it?

I Fly over on a monday and fly back following sunday (5 nights there in total)

im trying to justify it as I have done west coast of america for similar amount of stay and flight time overall is only 2 or 3 hours in the difference.

We will just be drinking, hitting the beach etc not much sightseeing (which I dont mind)
Advertisement
02-03-2020, 19:57   #2
edeldonlon

I would say go for it! Enjoy the trip. I once went for 7 days and enjoyed every minute
02-03-2020, 20:50   #3
XMG

If it’s only Phuket you’ll be grand, it’s not that big a place. Long ould flight though but if you party right you’ll sleep all the way home! Bring your own sunscreen, you can get the Thai anti-mozzie stuff there, take a couple pairs of shorts, a few t-shirts, flip flops, that’s it
02-03-2020, 20:55   #4
JohnCleary

You're crazy to fly that long for such little time.

Also, Phuket is the cesspit of Thailand (IMO).

TBH, if someone did this trip, i'd feel that they'd come back hating Thailand and thinking "What's the big deal".

If you're going to fly that far, take a month and visit the whole country.

Also, Thailand isin't the bargain destination it used to be (esp. Phuket). You'll spend more than in many parts of Europe (granted, the EUR has strengthened against the THB in recent weeks)
02-03-2020, 22:14   #5
XMG

Jaysus, he’s going on the lash for 5 days, not exploring the ethnic differences between the various hill tribes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCleary View Post

TBH, if someone did this trip, i'd feel that they'd come back hating Thailand and thinking "What's the big deal".

Also, Thailand isin't the bargain destination it used to be (esp. Phuket). You'll spend more than in many parts of Europe (granted, the EUR has strengthened against the THB in recent weeks)
Advertisement
02-03-2020, 22:24   #6
JohnCleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMG View Post
Jaysus, he’s going on the lash for 5 days, not exploring the ethnic differences between the various hill tribes!
That's my whole point. Travelling that far (could be anything up to 20 hours inc. lay-over each way) for '5 days on the lash' is crazy.
(5) thanks from:
03-03-2020, 08:59   #7
fitzparker

Thanks all, My point is iv done Vegas 4 times for 5 nights (travel time between 14-17 hours (1 stop over)

This is a week but 5 nights in total in phuket, (travel time between 17-19 hours (1 stop over) so not too much different, this is sort of why im trying to justify it.

I wont really be sightseeing, basically just being on the piss. and can't do longer with other commitments, but when I saw I can get the trip for the same price as a week in Spain.... this is why im asking the question
03-03-2020, 09:08   #8
Tipperary animal lover

If I was younger and had the money I would, older now the fecking jetlag would take me a week to get over, it's a mad place go for it lad ya Yolo.... when yr in a nursing home many years to come ya can pull the I was in phuket story impress all the grannies... go for it
05-03-2020, 23:41   #9
4Ad

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCleary View Post

Pattaya is the cesspit of Thailand..
Phuket has beautiful places, Bangla Road is awful though..
(5) thanks from:
Advertisement
07-03-2020, 22:19   #10
MarkY91

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Ad View Post
Pattaya is the cesspit of Thailand..
Phuket has beautiful places, Bangla Road is awful though..
I'll be in Phuket next month for a week.

Any suggestions? I'll have a scooter to ride..into in white beaches, snorkeling, temples, nature and generally rising a scooter in an exotic place.

The odd bit of partying on Bangla road of course but certainly not the biggest part of it.
09-03-2020, 13:17   #11
killbillvol2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkY91 View Post
I'll be in Phuket next month for a week.

Any suggestions? I'll have a scooter to ride..into in white beaches, snorkeling, temples, nature and generally rising a scooter in an exotic place.

The odd bit of partying on Bangla road of course but certainly not the biggest part of it.
Just follow the coast road. There are still some relatively unspoilt beaches and coves. From Patong head towards Karon and continue from there.
(2) thanks from:
09-03-2020, 13:42   #12
fitzparker

So I bit the bullet and booked, going for a little longer, Fly out Monday head home Tuesday (7 nights in phuket in total).

got flight and hotel for €650 (mid august) cheaper than a week in Spain!
Thanks from:
13-03-2020, 15:11   #13
larchielads

Is it still business as usual over in Thailand lads or whats the story. Due to be goin at end of the month with herself?
13-03-2020, 15:37   #14
MarkY91

Quote:
Originally Posted by larchielads View Post
Is it still business as usual over in Thailand lads or whats the story. Due to be goin at end of the month with herself?
So far yes but I cannot see it being the same in 2 weeks.

Philippines basically shut itself down to tourist's yesterday. Thailand will be soon following.

My trip is over now too. Was going early April..
13-03-2020, 16:31   #15
larchielads

Ah i dont know what to do, whether to still go or not. Itll hardly go into lock down like italy. Dont think itll be that bad or will it?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion