Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Reberetta's Walrus (Music Prize On Offer!)

Options
  • 12-02-2020 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭

What is Walrus?
    Walrus is a game where you select music and other people judge your choices. Walrus has a host who selects all the categories and then people submit songs and the host judges all the songs in each category. This Walrus will be judged by Reberetta.

Why am I doing this?
    To discover some good new songs hopefully! Also, sado-masochism.

What sort of music am I into?
    I like all types of music, but my favourite groups will remain a guarded secret so that none of you will be able to suck up to me in the hopes of emerging victorious like the sycophantic, grovelling weasels that you all are!  There is one genre which I absolutely deplore with all my heart, one genre which makes me want to vomit until I get its sonic sickening slime out of my system like the plague upon humanity that it is! One genre which will result in last place every single time. That genre? I'm not telling. 

First of all some new rules for my Walrus:

1. I am going to score the songs out of ten, instead of scores based on placement; there will still be placings of course.

2. From the four first-placed songs from each of the four categories,  I will select the very best song submitted and an extra 5 POINTS will be added to that player's total as a reward.
    This will be unveiled at the end of the reveal thread to up the suspense and hopefully cause blood cholesterol levels to shoot up resulting in near-death.

3. From the four last-placed songs from each of the four categories, I will select the very worst song submitted and deduct 5 POINTS from that player's total as cruel and unnecessary punishment.
    This will also be unveiled at the end of the reveal thread to up the suspense and hopefully result in actual death.

4. There will be a prize for first place which I will post to an Irish/N. Irish address free of charge! 
    What is that prize? Could it be a holiday for two in the Seychelles? Could it be a speedboat which you won't ever have any practical use for as seen on eighties cult classic gameshow Bullseye? Could it be a date with the reanimated corpse of Marilyn Monroe? Who knows! You'll just have to wait and find out! (It's not a holiday or speedboat or Marilyn Monroe don't get your hopes up).

In all seriousness, the prize will be a bunch of music CDS ! Can you contain your excitement yet!? :pac:

5. Guess my favourite artist/band
    As an aside game, if you can guess my favourite band/artist, you will win an extra 5 points! Include your guess in the PM.

Categories:

1. The Weirdest Music/Song Ever

What's the most bizarre song or piece of music you have ever heard? Because I want to hear it too.

2. Great Vocal Performance

Give me a song where the singer(s) excels!

3. Song To Play At A Funeral

There's nothing I love more than a good funeral, so give me your choice for a rainy day of mourning at the cemetery!

4. Great Non-Album Song or Great Live Performance Of A Song

Give me a great song that never appeared on an official studio album; it's ok if it might have appeared on a Greatest Hits, soundtrack or a compilation at some stage. So I'm basically looking for B-sides, throwaways and/or once-off singles. If you can't think of one, then give me a great live performance of a song. Any song.

Sign-ups will be closed once I have enough entrants; everyone else will miss out and be sent a completely insincere letter of condolence which I will write with uncontrollable glee!

PM me your 4 category entries and also separately try to guess my fave band/artist for a chance to win an extra 5 points!  Remember it could be the difference between winning the collection of crap CDS or not!

Send me Youtube links of your songs, thanks.

-Reb

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I'll send you an entry later when I have a think :D

Interesting categories, have ideas for #1 and #4 but need to think about the rest.
    Does #2 "great vocal performance" need to be a studio recording or can it be a live performance?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I'm IN

WOOO :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Entries submitted. Really love the categories for this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

Interesting categories, have ideas for #1 and #4 but need to think about the rest.
    Does #2 "great vocal performance" need to be a studio recording or can it be a live performance?

It can be studio or live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Plan to in. I like the categories

A little amendment to announce for the rules: Replace the phrase five points above in the OP with 3.5 points.

I figure since I'm scoring songs out of ten and there's only 4 categories I don't want to be too hasty with bonus/minus points: The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away. The Lord, in this case, is me, so deal with it.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

In and looking for Minus 12 points :D

7 entries so far. 14 or more would be a good number. I haven't listened to them yet and I won't be showing favouritism as I made a list and I've forgotten who submitted what already! Still a couple of weeks left to enter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

I'll get a submission in over the weekend :)

• Advertisement

Stalled a bit on entries. You don't need to accept the prize if you win, but don't miss out on the chance of a lifetime boardsies!

stl_mus_20150123_brokencd_flickr_brianteutsch.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I'll enter later in the week if its not too late. Work is too manic to even think about it. But will thankfully ease from Wednesday onwards

tusk wrote: »
    Plan to in. I like the categories

Up to nine entries. Still waiting for yours tusk, don't miss out on the chance to win a prize cut from my collection.

7c809ef9cf4478aafc9ae26e31e63c6d.jpg

Rikand wrote: »
    I'll enter later in the week if its not too late. Work is too manic to even think about it. But will thankfully ease from Wednesday onwards

Still waiting Rikand! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Reberetta wrote: »
    Still waiting Rikand! :p

Its tough because 3 out of the 4 categories are not natural selections for me :)

I think I have eleven entries now. Another three would be a perfect number. Don't forget there is a prize on offer for an outright winner. It could be rubbish, but it could be simply awesome. Only one way to find out.

worst-album-covers-taste-of.jpg

12 submissions! Two more would be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,676 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

12 submissions! Two more would be grand.

I'll have an entry in to you later today, I have three songs I'm definite on and I think I'm happy with the fourth...

Right, I'm in!

As per usual I've either underthought or overthought it, I'm not sure which :p

I will leave the sign-ups open for a while. Sullivlo hasn't even started his/her Walrus reveal yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I will leave the sign-ups open for a while. Sullivlo hasn't even started his/her Walrus reveal yet!

giphy.gif

;)

I just might remember you correcting my grammar when I get down to giving the scores Burton.;)

14 entrants now, so I've reached my target.

Still if anyone else wants to enter, feel free.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

May I enter... Later?

Probably be Friday before I can get to do it though so don't let me hold up proceedings.

How do you feel about Orion by Metallica?

This'll be open for at least another 10 days. As for Metallica, I'm not telling. ;)

Here are the 14 entrants so far.

ShaneU
    Electric Nitwit
    Gru
    Spook_ie
    beakerjoe
    $hifty
    lassykk
    Homer J. Fong
    Also Starring LeVar Burton
    Necro
    Rikand
    tusk
    phatkev
    Pretzill

Shout out to beakerjoe who still needs to give me a song for category 4.

I haven't started listening yet...

fixXxer wrote: »
    May I enter... Later?

Probably be Friday before I can get to do it though so don't let me hold up proceedings.

I'll be closing this in a week so get your entry in!

ENTRY DELIVERED

Danke FixXxer. You forgot to take a guess at my fave band/artist so have a go if you want for extra points.

UPDATE SENT!

EXCITING!

• Advertisement

I won't change my entry now but I've not stopped thinking about my entry for "weird"

I wanted something genuinely good, but that kind of excluded what I thought of as really weird stuff

Looking back over past walruses though, two of my favourite comments have been First listen I was like.... "What have I just listened to????" and This is just noise, really, really bad noise. And yet here we are, the more I listened the better it became

I'm starting to think my usual music world have qualified :p

Advertisement