Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Election TV debates

• 22-01-2020 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭

Deserving of its own thread I feel, especially with FF and FG being neck and neck.
    Michael Martin and Leo Varadkar about to debate now on TV3, it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Likely to be a score draw but if Varadkar wobbles at any point it could send the campaign south pretty quick. TV3 reporting that they have a genuine hatred for each other so they'll have to keep emotions in check.

RTE will also be holding a Martin-Varadkar debate as well as one for all the party leaders together.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

Really looking forward to this debate, my gut feeling (and probably my bias) is that MM will outperform Vradkar. I just feel he will be more measured under pressure. It'll be interesting to see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Think it lacks a lot without a live audience and a chance for them to ask a few questions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Leo doing a great job cutting through Mehole Martin's spin.

Sticking to facts and cutting through the BS.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I think they are both doing well to be fair. I think the Irish political system would benefit from FF and FG merging.

Score draw so far, very astute performance in the studio from both candidates

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,434 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

It's so annoying hearing Micheál waffle about all the problems - every single one of which had it's genesis in the collapse of the country's economy presided over by Fianna Fáil.

The man is totally disingenuous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Muahahaha wrote: »

I think the debate is benefiting from the exclusion of SF. It would be a lot less civilised if Mary Lou was in there shouting over everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,651 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

An embarrassing exhibition trying to ape American style personality politics really.

Desperately hyped by the two national broadcasters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

I think the debate is benefiting from the exclusion of SF. It would be a lot less civilised if Mary Lou was in there shouting over everyone.

And rightly so

You're being rather complimentary. Rehearsed to the nines, voting public none the wiser. Everyone loses, bar state pensions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,427 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Thank jaysus virgin media didn’t let an audience in tonight. I hate them involved in these type of debates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

2 absolute spoofers. Not an air of authenticity between them.

You're being rather complimentary. Rehearsed to the nines, voting public none the wiser. Everyone loses, bar state pensions.

Well the OAPs in this country will vote at every election so no political party are going to get sideways with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

Pat Kenny is better at challenging MM's waffle than Leo is.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    2 absolute spoofers. Not an air of authenticity between them.

Well that’s why no studio audience is a good thing then. It’s just the two of them and their words.

Pat Kenny is better at challenging MM's waffle than Leo is.

MM didn’t take kindly to pat kenny pointing out his time in health.

Martin making Leo look bad there on the missing TD Daragh Murphy

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Hippykitten

apology number?

I have Leo ahead on points so far.

I have said it before. Leo is way way more capable than Simon Coveney. MM would have knocked Coveney out by now. Simon cannot think on his feet. Never has.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I have Leo ahead on points so far.

I have said it before. Leo is way way more capable than Simon Coveney. MM would have knocked Coveney out by now. Simon cannot think on his feet. Never has.
    Leo was always expected to do well on this stuff. It's the on the spot and off the cuff stuff where he gets caught out.

• Advertisement

Agree, go after the casual cocaine user. Sniffer dogs in pubs and clubs etc.

*Edit - Leo is finished after that question.

That drugs question was unfair. I wouldn't trust someone that said they never smoked weed.

What was that pause from Leo about ? It wasn’t the third secret of Fatima if he said it in an interview years ago.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    What was that pause from Leo about ? It wasn’t the third secret of Fatima if he said it in an interview years ago.

I think given the madness of the last couple of weeks to have it dragged up again and refreshed in people's minds so close to an election it will be very damaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,434 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Varadkar before politics

tumblr_n39mziI4gW1sv7laoo1_500.gif

Itssoeasy wrote: »

It was like he was trying to remember what lie he told about him using drugs

No I think he thought the question was inappropriate. I think it was. It has no impact on his capability or politics. Marijuana should have been legalised years ago.

I mean yes the interview says he did but it was the reaction to the question that I found odd not what his answer to the question.

No I think he thought the question was inappropriate. I think it was. It has no impact on his capability or politics. Marijuana should have been legalised years ago.

Regardless of the question being inappropriate Leo stumbled like he lied about using drugs but couldnt remember the lie. And marijuana is enough for the Medical Council to take interest, doctors taking drugs is enough to get you struck off under their fitness to practice rules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Leo threw in the misogyny card, complete dog whistle to his twitter left fanbase.

Advertisement