Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Unmapped Motorcycle

• 12-10-2019 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭

Lads what is the craic with riding around on a bike that is unmapped. I got a wings exhaust and currently have a baffle in, on the website it states that if no baffle is used a remap is required.

Is it really bad for the bike to ride it unmapped short term/long term or is it just bad for fuel economy etc...

Could it invalidate my warranty?

Would have to buy a power commander to get it mapped and don't fancy paying 400 euro for it tbh.

Just a taught.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

Do wings not do an ecu/mapper as an option for your bike?

Would follow their advice tbh, bike can run lean without a map and without baffle.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

colm_c wrote: »
    Do wings not do an ecu/mapper as an option for your bike?

Would follow their advice tbh, bike can run lean without a map and without baffle.

No not that I know off, seen a right few boyo's just whip out a baffle and give it large and tbh if I had my old bikes I would do the same lol.

But with the new bike don't want to be taking chances. The difference with the baffle out is insane and it's popping and rumbling like mad so I'd say I should leave the baffle in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Must be a fairly chunky baffle to make that much difference to the back pressure.

I'd keep it in if it was me. As its not healthy to be popping that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Your sparkplugs will tell you what's going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

blade1 wrote: »
    Your sparkplugs will tell you what's going on.
    Brown coffee good, black coffee bad, white coffee very bad...

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Bring it to a dyno for a run. Will quickly tell you if shes running lean.

H_Lime wrote: »
    Bring it to a dyno for a run. Will quickly tell you if shes running lean.

Yeah might do that, thanx for all replies lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

What bike is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭MSVforever

Depends on the bike I guess. I recently bought a cbf 1000 and got Black Widow cans fitted yesterday.
    It's significantly noisier than stock (nice deep rumble ) but no backfiring.
    No difference in power either so all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

MSVforever wrote: »
    Depends on the bike I guess. I recently bought a cbf 1000 and got Black Widow cans fitted yesterday.
    It's significantly noisier than stock (nice deep rumble ) but no backfiring.
    No difference in power either so all good.

I had the exact same setup which I sold earlier this year, I found them absolutely obnoxious without a baffle, I'd always remove the baffles but the BW cans on a CBF were just too much. I felt the fuelling wasn't as good as when the standard cans were fitted but then the CBF1000 fuelling is pretty much perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Theres a lad passes my house every day on a V Strom 1000 with Black Widow exhausts and the baffles removed.
    They sound fantastic!

corkgsxr wrote: »
    What bike is it?

Brand new KTM 1290 Super Adventure S.

Gonna get it on a DYNO and see how its running, as I said I aint paying silly money for Power Commanders etc....if it runs okay without the baffle then happy days if not then I will leave all as is.

There is a huge difference without the baffle all the same not just in noise....its the Rice Krispies Effect....Snap Crackle and POPS!

[URL="[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hvyfeZ][img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48904870707_96ecf12b56_k.jpg[/img][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/2hvyfeZ]IMG_20190923_174959[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/wonda3oy/]Gary[/url], on Flickr"][/url]48904870707_96ecf12b56_k.jpgIMG_20190923_174959 by Gary, on Flickr

Advertisement