Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NI vs ROI dealers

Options
  • 07-10-2019 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭

With the impending duuun dunnn duun BREXIT ! will it change how you shop for your bike ?

My preference has always been to go north of the boarder for servicing, parts and sometimes a decent second hand machine. For the simple reason, customer service up there across the board is far far superior.

A quick example and I wont start naming shops, while some are bad at one thing they excel in other ways. I spoke to a dealer recently about changing the bars on my bike. I was given a figure that was literally pulled out of the air. They didn't even bother checking what cables needed replacing etc so I'm not sure how they came up with the figure. On the flip side I asked a dealer of the same brand in the north for a price on installing a new cam, I got a price breakdown to include parts and labour.

I found this is across the board, doesn't matter which brand BMW ,Kawasaki, Yamaha, HD, Ducati etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

I'm hoping brexit makes no difference as I'm hopefully looking to buy another bike there next year.

I trust UK dealers more than Irish dealers. I'd quicker buy a bike in the UK that I haven't seen than buy one in Ireland I've sat on.

Also I find Irish dealers take the piss with their prices. Understand overhead costs etc but still think it's mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I'm hoping brexit makes no difference as I'm hopefully looking to buy another bike there next year.

There will be a difference as there's going to be VAT and duty on any imports from the UK, the question is will the difference be good or bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I trust UK dealers more than Irish dealers. I'd quicker buy a bike in the UK that I haven't seen than buy one in Ireland I've sat on.

Also I find Irish dealers take the piss with their prices. Understand overhead costs etc but still think it's mad.

Oh there is going to be a difference, it will be the same as bringing in a Jap import. VAT, VRT, Excise, Customs fees.

Mightn't be as big a deal - Jap imports happen all the time - but it's bound to be reflected in the prices people end up paying.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 12,101 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Apparently before any Brexit happens they are upping the vrt to try and get people to buy vehicles in Ireland.
    Probably going to get screwed in the budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭bladespin

blade1 wrote: »
    Apparently before any Brexit happens they are upping the vrt to try and get people to buy vehicles in Ireland.

Not sure how it'll work for bikes Too small to make any real difference) but they have a crosshair target on the diesel cars being imported. Hopefully bikes will be just too much of a head ache and they'll just leave alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

bladespin wrote: »
    Not sure how it'll work for bikes Too small to make any real difference) but they have a crosshair target on the diesel cars being imported. Hopefully bikes will be just too much of a head ache and they'll just leave alone.

To be fair we're a dumping ground for the unwanted diesels now.

I'd like to have the option of shopping in the UK without getting shafted, all my gear is from the UK and my last 2 bikes were imported from there. Who has a clue what will happen though, I feel like I'm in groundhog day everytime someone mentions brexit now.

blade1 wrote: »

It's a tax on NOx emissions and bikes emit very little. Even with the higher charge for buying an older vehicle with high NOx emissions you'll still be saving buying from the UK.

The VAT and duty is what'll make UK imports expensive, the amount Sterling falls will see by how much.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Don't forget that Ireland is part of the EU, we don't revolve in an orbit around the UK any longer.
    Anything that can be bought in the UK can be bought in the EU as well.
    No exchange rate fluctuations either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Don't forget that Ireland is part of the EU, we don't revolve in an orbit around the UK any longer.
    Anything that can be bought in the UK can be bought in the EU as well.
    No exchange rate fluctuations either.

Very true. I saved €190 over retail by buying some slip-on cans from Sweden recently :D

The crux of the matter is we're physically attached to NI (for the moment) so for those of us who like the old fashioned way this is a good option for now.

D3V!L wrote: »
    Very true. I saved €190 over retail by buying some slip-on cans from Sweden recently :D

The crux of the matter is we're physically attached to NI (for the moment) so for those of us who like the old fashioned way this is a good option for now.

I've bought many bikes from Germany, without leaving the couch:

492582.png

492583.png

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

galwaytt wrote: »
    I've bought many bikes from Germany, without leaving the couch:

492582.png

492583.png

That's great and all but we need a pic of you on the couch to verify this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭emo72

How securely was that bike fastened to the pallet? Just used pallet wrap? Hard to believe it held but you know for certain how good it was secured? That's brilliant mate, been looking at an old BMW r80 vintage or something similar. Germany has them in bucket loads.

emo72 wrote: »
    How securely was that bike fastened to the pallet? Just used pallet wrap? Hard to believe it held but you know for certain how good it was secured? That's brilliant mate, been looking at an old BMW r80 vintage or something similar. Germany has them in bucket loads.

There's 3 ratchet straps holding the visible side, so we have to assume there's 3 on the other side, that's enough strapping to hold a few tonnes a bike won't budge.

Del2005 wrote: »
    There's 3 ratchet straps holding the visible side, so we have to assume there's 3 on the other side, that's enough strapping to hold a few tonnes a bike won't budge.

You're right - those white straps are what hold new BMW's and that pallet is what a new one arrives on into the dealer. The straps are polypropylene I think and are basically disposable. it's not as if anyone will post them back to the factory! !

That bike came from Bavaria to Galway like that.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 33,878 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

They put the bike on the pallet the wrong way round :)

Much more reinforcement under where the front wheel is, little under the rear and it's showing the strain!

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

Is this the look you're going for :D

apes.jpg

Advertisement