What is Walrus?
Walrus is a game where you select music and other people judge your choices. Walrus has a host/s who selects all the categories and then people submit songs and the host/s judges all the songs in each category. This Walrus will be judged by the wonder couple, me (Mollyb) and Mr Molly, otherwise known as AnLachaCorca. We'll both score songs individually and combine the scores to get a final running list.
Why are we doing this?
Molly – I love finding new music but the last few years or so I’ve just been lazy and haven’t bothered going to listen to new things. Usually I’ll just listen to whatever music ALC puts on. I used to listen to music constantly when I finished college and started working. I remember the excitement of finding a new band and I would happily listen to the same album till my ears bled (case in point: Arcade Fire’s Funeral) and I miss that.
ALC – Sounds like fun. No other reason really.
What sort of music are we into?
Molly – I hate saying everything but I’m pretty open minded. It might be easier to say what I don’t like. I’m not a fan of reggae, trad music, hard dance/trance/house type stuff, jazz, super heavy metal, or musical wanking (I don’t want a 15 minute song that includes 10 minutes of the musicians just wanking over how amazing their guitar playing is or an 8 minute drum solo [see also: jazz]). I love classical music and go to see the orchestra perform quite often (don’t try to make me explain how that doesn’t count as musical wanking). Probably my favourite bands of all time are Muse, Foo Fighters, Elbow, The Beatles, Backstreet Boys (not even a little ashamed), Arcade Fire, and The Decemberists.
ALC - I’m into a lot of rock/alternative/indie - think the Beatles, Nirvana, REM and Arcade Fire. I’ll probably lean towards those kind of tunes, but I always have a soft spot for something totally off the wall. I’d love to hear some new stuff so I’ll probably score a decent song that I haven’t heard before higher than a banger that’s been top of the charts.
1. Song released before 1950 – Give us a proper old school song. Something classic that evokes pencil skirts and beehives and blue chevys and glamorous Hollywood.
2. Song from a genre you usually wouldn’t listen to – there’s probably one song you don’t want to love but can’t help yourself. For me there’s a few jazz tunes that I actually like
3. Song to fall asleep to – Something soothing and calm, to de-stress you and make you relax before bed.
4. Song to wake up to – something to get you out of bed and ready for the day.
5. Your Festival song – we’re heading to EP this year so what’s your song of choice to listen to whilst drinking a bag of cans in a field in the rain?
PM your choices (with a link to a video or Spotify) to me before Wednesday the 4th of September. I'll share them with ALC and we’ll spend about 2 weeks listening to the songs. We'd hope to have a reveal thread in mid September.