Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

16-08-2019, 11:17   #1
Noteworthy
Verified representative

Read the Noteworthy stories pitched by Boards.ie members

Noteworthy, a new investigative journalism platform from TheJournal.ie, launched in April of this year.

The platform is designed to find, fund, and tell the stories that matter to the public.

Since our launch, we’ve been able to publish almost twenty stories.

These include exclusives on the “intolerable safety crisis” at one of the country’s busiest maternity hospitals, an in-depth look at the poorly regulated slot machine industry, and how families are being forced to wait up to four years for early intervention appointments for their children.

We’ve also taken a case to have details of pensions paid to former presidents, Taoisigh, and ministers put back into the public domain where they belong.

If you would like to read more of Noteworthy's completed work to date, you can find it at: https://www.noteworthy.ie/river. Many of these ideas were sourced directly from Boards.ie back in January.

Noteworthy's goal is to undertake in-depth journalism on topics that you want to see tackled. You can submit an idea for a story here.

Investigative journalism requires a sufficient investment of both time and money. Noteworthy is a collaboration between the public and reporters.

Not only can you submit ideas, but you can also fund proposals that you would like to see investigated. You can browse the proposals that are actively seeking funding here.

The Noteworthy website is currently in beta and you can email website suggestions to beta@noteworthy.ie. More information about Noteworthy can be found on the About Us page.
Attached Images
File Type: png logo-lg.png (12.9 KB, 2160 views)
Advertisement
16-08-2019, 11:44   #2
Gloomtastic!
Do Not Be Afraid.....

Good work journos. Lots done, lots more to do!

Browsing over the Noteworthy site Stories to be funded page. What determines the cost of a story? I understand FOI requests cost money and writers need to be paid but why does one story require €3000 and another €100?

As a sister site to Boards, should there not be direct links to these stories from Boards? If there is, I haven't seen them. The interaction from the general public would be invaluable to raise each stories' profile. The Journal's Comment section isn't up to the same level.
(4) thanks from:
16-08-2019, 12:05   #3
Noteworthy
Verified representative

Thanks for your question, Gloomtastic!

Each project has been priced out in detail according to how much work we think will be involved. Some, we hope, will be relatively straightforward and some we know will be much more complicated. Included in our funding target is not just the work of the reporters and editors, but some investigations can also involve design, video, software development, photography, legal advice, and so on.
Thanks from:
17-08-2019, 22:47   #4
The One Doctor

Why not just report on the cases instead of begging us for money to do it? The Journal is not exactly imporverished. Anyway, what am I saying? I hate the media. Scum inveigling their sordid opinions into everyday life to try to influence us into their mindset. Disgusting, and hardly human.
(2) thanks from:
18-08-2019, 16:03   #5
Suckit

Quote:
Originally Posted by The One Doctor View Post
Why not just report on the cases instead of begging us for money to do it? The Journal is not exactly imporverished. Anyway, what am I saying? I hate the media. Scum inveigling their sordid opinions into everyday life to try to influence us into their mindset. Disgusting, and hardly human.

But isn't what they are attempting to do, helping remove that type of image that some people may have?
By asking the general public what type of stories they would like to see investigated and reported on, rather than telling us that Kim Kardashian got new ass implants.
I think it is a great idea.

I don't understand the anger with asking for donations though. You don't have to donate. Hopefully this leads to a some good news stories.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
18-08-2019, 16:11   #6
tatranska

So to synopsise...you get your ideas from us (not sure where the investigative part of that is) and the money from us.

What accountability is there for the money given? How do we know it's being used efficiently and not just going into distilled media's pockets?
(5) thanks from:
18-08-2019, 21:27   #7
Time

Since distilled media doesn't seem to publish its editorial policies or objectives anywhere in the name of transparency, unlike the Irish Times for example. How can funders know that the investigative work undertaken will not be influenced or biased? Especially given what is a very obvious bias on certain subjects from certain journalists you already employ.
(3) thanks from:
18-08-2019, 22:26   #8
Pelvis Parsley

I'm sorry to be less than supportive of new ideas, but this is akin to the Guardian-beating their chests with breathless arrogance on the one hand, but holding out the other "since you're here" as the tagline goes.

Similar bias as well. In this case, it seems to be the very height of laziness-tell us what to do, and pay us to do it.
(2) thanks from:
18-08-2019, 22:48   #9
Blueshoe

You tell us the news and give us a few quid for it.
Up selling the news. Media for hire.

This isn't going to work out
Thanks from:
Advertisement
19-08-2019, 16:05   #10
Noteworthy
Verified representative

Hi,

Thanks for the questions.

It’s not unusual for members of the public to ask the media to investigate issues that they would like to see reported on.

We are trying to give an opportunity for people to bring forward problems in their local area or nationally that they think need a deeper look.

We are not asking anybody to do the journalism for us as can be seen from the projects we have done to date.

For instance, we were asked us to look into waiting lists for early intervention services around Ireland.

This lead to this article, which was the result of a significant amount of research, including extensive use of information access laws, and speaking to families about their experiences.

Similarly, we were asked to take a look at slot machines, their prevalence and the lack of regulation surrounding them.

This resulted in these two articles, which you can read here and here.

Through our general fund, we have also been able to fund several other investigative reports including this article on the “intolerable safety crisis” at the Rotunda Hospital and our appeal to the Information Commissioner to release details of ministerial pensions.

We have been able to do twenty investigative reports that might not otherwise have been possible.

Our contributors have directly funded eight of these projects, and we provide them directly with updates on where we are with the stories, who is going to be working on them, and what they will involve.

The level of research that has gone into each article speaks for itself, and any contribution made is completely voluntary.

Many people have come back again to contribute to stories so that can only mean they are happy with what we have done so far.

It is entirely up to you whether you want to fund articles. And we are open to suggestions for investigations from anybody, not just those in position to contribute.

Our editorial standards are clear to anybody who regularly reads TheJournal.ie; nobody is forced to contribute and the content is all made available without a paywall and to other media – both national and local – if they wish to use it.
(3) thanks from:
19-08-2019, 22:19   #11
Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noteworthy View Post
Our editorial standards are clear to anybody who regularly reads TheJournal.ie; nobody is forced to contribute and the content is all made available without a paywall and to other media – both national and local – if they wish to use it.
This is absolutely untrue, your editorial standards are concealed behind a veil of secrecy, Readers regularly point out the inconsistencies in your standards, and i have yet to see one single example of this being addressed.

However since you are saying that they are clear, perhaps you could point me to a single article or page on your site that outlines them, or even a response to one of the many many comments left that have challenged you on this very issue.
(4) thanks from:
23-08-2019, 00:38   #12
Steve
Life is hard, deal with it.

We've been doing boards a long time now, it mostly works. Those that get flicked from here seem to end up on the journal comments section... I wouldn't wish them on my worst enemy..

That said, I think the journalism is not bad, I read it every day, there is room for improvement alright but you're getting there!
24-08-2019, 20:05   #13
One eyed Jack

Why are words just highlighted at random? I’m looking at the site on mobile and it’s as though it was designed by a student who was given a pack of highlighter pens.

It’s all a bit Andy Warhol -

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 0500971C-D929-4028-9ED8-B46FCAD7B599.jpeg (32.5 KB, 479 views)
(3) thanks from:
25-08-2019, 17:06   #14
99problems1
Banned

Where is the breakdown of how much goes to journo, distilled etc?
Thread Closed