Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

VW ID.3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭adunis

Yes full grant applies

• Registered Users Posts: 5 kelvin64

New functionality showed up as soon as the update was complete. Some functionality only started working after signing in again with my profile, some functionality only started working after installing all the App from the in car "App Store"

1 - Yep

2 - I have a only home charger, not sure I'll be able to check for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Well just off the phone to the dealer, car is ready they say.

My app still shows as not synced in nearly 3 days and the car says its at 43% even though the dealer told me an hour ago that they were putting it on charge.

Not much I can do but hope for the best, they're an hour away so they'd better not waste my time!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Done and dusted.

Bizarrely in my car apps screen, there are 2 "id software" icons.

1 says its 3.1, the other says 3.2!

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭bodgerfederer

Bit of advice please.

I need new tyres.

Various people on forums recommend Cross Climate 2s.

When I enquired about them my tyre guy came back to say that Michelin DO NOT recommend that they be fitted on electric cars.

Also they were €195 each.

Any thoughts/alternatives?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

I put Continental eco contact 6 on mine last February, replacing the 4 Bridgestone that were on it. The Bridgestones were shot at 27k kms and I'm normally very easy on tyres.

The Conti's are quieter and maybe give a bit of a softer ride. I only put 3k kms on them before I stopped using the car, so can't speak to wear rate, but they have to be better than the Bridgestones.

The full set of Continentals came to €600 fitted, balanced and tracked.

Conti's 50k front 30k rear

Bridgestone 12k rear

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Did they give a reason why Michelin wouldn’t recommend cross climates ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I'd recommend Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance. €135 inc vat fitted at my local.

I got 25k km's from them on the rear. Easier driving and you'll get more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭CoBo55

They look manky for starters 🫣, soft as fcuk too, wouldn't last pissing time on an EV.

• Advertisement

something to do with the type of rubber compound. the michelin website lists them as suitable for EVs and Hybrids so i'm left confused.

Thanks for the responses though, i'll check prices on the Continentals and Goodyears.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

The Continental EcoContact 6 only come with 6mm thread and have shocking grip in the wet and poor grip in the dry. I wouldn't recommend them at all on a heavy car like the ID.3. Can't even put the foot down in dry weather without the traction light coming on. Anything from Bridgestone or Michelin would be better. If I can drive in -2 with high performance summer tyres like the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 then you won't need all season tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Had the car in for the 3.2 software update last week and a service and as part of the service plan they fitted these. Thankfully it was the service plan that included 4 tyres before they changed it and it cost me nothing.

Took Bridgestones off and the inside edge of these as well worn, 30k, and well beyond there best.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Mr Q

You never said which size wheel/tyre you have on the car or I missed it. But €195 each would be expensive for an ID.3 in general.

Just put a summer tyre on it, plenty of options out there especially if on 18's.

Again I completely disagree with this assessment of the continentals.andbill keep the pilot sports until I have something fast.

I had them on an Octavia, the fronts were barely legal after 24K, terrible tyre, the puny 1 litre could get the light flashing 😕

It's not about something fast, it's about having a safe tyre in a wet country. I had Pilot Sport 4 on my 110hp Golf because they offer class leading wet grip. The EcoContact 6 aren't safe under heavy braking. I've had them lock up in the dry in my Born. Really bad tyre for a car that heavy. You wouldn't see them on an A6 and that's lighter than an ID.3.

Granted I like driving so tyres are important to me but I wouldn't put EcoContact 6 on my girlfriend's Golf for safety reasons, they're the worst tyre I've driven on. I'd look at anything else like the PremiumContact 7 instead.

I only mentioned the Pilot Sport 4 to prove a point, I regularly drove them in sub zero temps and they're an ultra high performance summer tyre, if that can handle our climate then all season are unnecessary. I wouldn't expect the average driver to have them but there's certainly much better tyres than the EcoContact 6 on the market.

Post edited by DaveyDave on

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bif

VW fitted a full set of Continental Eco-Contact 6s as part of a recall on the OEM Goodyears on my ID3. I have always used Goodyear tyres for years. As said above the Contis only have 6mm thread from new. It will be interesting to see how they fare. So far seems fine on noise, comfort and rolling resistance. Hasn’t been wet since fitted last week so I can’t comment on their performance in wet conditions. My service pack will have to wait a little longer to get used!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Caillte

HI All, first post here. Picked up my ID3 last week and im still getting to grips with it. Looking for some affirmation and maybe some help. I have the ID.3 Pro.

Im getting 20kwh/100km doing motorway speeds and the commute is 120km round trip a day. Does this sound about right to you?

Also I saw in a youtube video ID.3s had a remember my parking type thing where it would auto park into your own drive. Is that still available?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Mr Q

In my experience I can't get close to 20kWh/100km at motorway speeds. So I would say that is quite good.

Is the 20kWh/100km your trip average or what you are getting just on the motorway section?

• Advertisement

yep, 18's. 215/55 R18 95T. i fancied all weather, something that can handle the wet and frost on those trips to sligo. hence i was looking at the cross climate 2s.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Im getting 20kwh/100km doing motorway speeds

Sounds about right for current warm and dry conditions. In the winter and if its raining etc you'd be adding 10-20% more to that figure.

Also I saw in a youtube video ID.3s had a remember my parking type thing where it would auto park into your own drive. Is that still available?

I think you need to be on latest software (v3.x) and I could be wrong but I dont think you get that feature by default. I think you might need to have "Park Assist" which probably isn't on the entry level models so maybe check the brochure you have when you bought the car.

Could someone please explain the different models? The website is absolutely dreadful, pictures floating everywhere it actually makes me nauseous trying to navigate it. I don't want to go near a dealer as they'll plague me to death. Just a simple line up from the bottom to the top of the range would be fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,246 ✭✭✭✭fits

Is there anywhere online you can download specs? That’s usually easiest.

I'll have another look maybe on the laptop or tablet, the site on mobile is horrible. I'm considering one or a cupra born for my next car, ah there's no panic I still owe a lot on my present car.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭electricus

They don’t make it easy, still no info on the site about the DX model on offer, but you can find info on the new version here (including brochure download ) https://www.volkswagen.ie/en/new-cars/new-id3.html

Post edited by electricus on

Usually the brochure is best, as it will say XXX Trim has XYZ in addition to previous model. Makes it easier to see the key spec on the higher trims. Website always has been crap for spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

Go here for the new brochure: https://www.volkswagen.ie/idhub/content/dam/onehub_pkw/importers/ie/models/product-guides/my23/The%20new%20ID.3_Product_Guide.pdf

They've moved off the different models (e.g. Family, Style, Comfort, and even DX). Now there are only the Pro and Pro S (aka “Tour”) and various optional packages. I prefer doing it the new way, because it allows you to only pay for what you want (mostly), though it does disguise the actual price until you add it up.

Post edited by Sam the Sham on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

It's only two models, but you can construct the spec of any of the previous models/trim lines by picking the option packages that you prefer. I like that approach. For example, one of the reasons I bought the Business model last time was that I didn't want a panoramic roof. But if I'd bought any other trim/model, I would've been paying for that panoramic roof whether I wanted it or not. Now, anyone buying the car can decide whether they want it with a panoramic roof or not.

Advertisement