Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

MG ZS BEV, 44kWh

• 05-05-2019 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,152 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

https://www.drivingelectric.com/mg/zs

Nice looking car, similar to the e-Niro and Kona, but is rumoured to be hitting the UK at around a £25k price point.

God only knows what availability will be like of course, although I've heard 700 for the UK in the first allocation.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Looks identical to a CX-5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Who owns MG these days? didn't it go bust a few years back?

I always liked the little hatch they had out a good few years ago. Showing my age.

They always had a nice exterior look about this, could be interesting option if they can supply.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Shefwedfan wrote:
    Who owns MG these days? didn't it go bust a few years back?

SAIC Motor Corporation
    (China, state owned)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

that's pretty decent for a 25k sterling starting point

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭mr chips

Goes on sale in September in the UK. If it really does come in around the £24k mark and the range really is around 170 miles (as per above article) it should be a game changer - more spacious than a Kona/Soul/Zoe, not far behind the range of the 39 kWh variants of the Kona/Niro but substantially cheaper. AFAIR the new Ioniq will have similar range but for a lot more money. If I were in the market for a new car at the moment, I'd be looking at this before pretty much any other EV.

https://insideevs.com/news/356936/mg-dealer-network-uk-handle-electric-vehicles/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

The build quality of the Chinese made MGs has been very poor. I wouldn’t spend my hard earned cash on one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

tweet :https://twitter.com/MichielBarendse/status/1147191008914022400

MG spotted charging at Fastned. 85kWh CCS, 270km WLTP. Around €30k in Holland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Nice car

Pity not coming here, price looks competitive

• Registered Users Posts: 64,548 ✭✭✭✭unkel

€30k is a very good Dutch base price, as there are no subsidies on EVs over there. VAT is 21%, so this car should be under €26k here, which would make it the best value EV in this country. That is also fairly consistent with the UK price of about GBP24k in the link in the OP

Car looks good from the front. Not so much from the side. This one was also spotted in the Netherlands:

D-0ObX_WwAACQM5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Niro sized?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

ewj1978 wrote: »
    Niro sized?

To me it seems to be a virtual clone of a hyundai ix35 from about 2012 so probably similar in size also. Liquid cooled battery and the charging rates sound excellent especially when considering the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭fastrac

If I was testing an electric car I'd look for somewhere more challenging than Holland.

Will be £21,500 for the first 1000 customers

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/electric/fully-electric-mg-zs-will-only-cost-ps21500

Seriously good offer

How much is vrt/vat etc if we were to buy it?

Would it come out at less than €30,000 all in?

Sterling is a 90 cent now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Mike9832 wrote: »
    Will be £21,500 for the first 1000 customers

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/electric/fully-electric-mg-zs-will-only-cost-ps21500

Seriously good offer

How much is vrt/vat etc if we were to buy it?

Would it come out at less than €30,000 all in?

Sterling is a 90 cent now

No VRT. 23% VAT unless it's <6 months AND 6000km on the clock.

EDIT: €29,403 on transferwise.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

You should be able to claim back the UK 19% VAT after registration to Ireland if you pay the VAT here.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Matqo

I presume these won't be sold here in Ireland, what would be the best way for one to get a new ZS EV to Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭icom

A quick review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXEtN17xy7s

Very impressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Matqo wrote: »
    I presume these won't be sold here in Ireland, what would be the best way for one to get a new ZS EV to Ireland?

Buy it in UK and drive it over

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭zoom_cool

Or go to Northern Ireland there is MG dealers in the North

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭icom

zoom_cool wrote: »
    Or go to Northern Ireland there is MG dealers in the North

One dealer in Tyrone and 3 others in the Belfast area.

https://www.gregmitchellmotors.com/mg/new-cars/zs-ev/1033/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

A review from Whatcar

• Registered Users Posts: 12,152 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Back seat seems huge. Or maybe that's just because I have an i3.

When your own is so small everyone else's seems massive.

*cough...

GBP21k and a free home charger. 262km WLTP range. Similar in size to eNiro and also in the same mid size ever so popular crossover segment as the Niro and Qashqai. That's surely an attractive proposition to many people in the UK. Boring looking to me if I'm honest, but most cars in that segment are and they have never appealed to me :p

Wonder what pricing will be like over here.

unkel wrote: »

Wonder what pricing will be like over here.

Is it coming here?

Good question. I was presuming it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭mr chips

GBP £21.5k is a much more aggressive starting point for pricing than I had hoped for, and the reviews above seen to be quite positive in terms of both the driving experience and the build quality. While I've never been a fan of the SUV/crossover format, as a route into usable EV ownership this one looks very promising and I could see myself in a used example a year or two from now. The only caveat is that the steering wheel adjusts for rake but not reach, which is a weird omission these days and could make or break it for me in terms of living with the car. The position of the steering wheel would have to be just right - otherwise I'd end up with backache if I had to stretch to it or else cramped legs from sliding the seat far enough forwards to avoid stretching. Daft to leave out such a basic feature. Otherwise, the only other thing I'd be interested in is a longer range version (200+ miles), but I haven't seen anything to indicate such an option will be on the cards.

That price is only for the first 1000 customers though. But they will be getting a good deal, that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Matqo

icom wrote: »
    One dealer in Tyrone and 3 others in the Belfast area.

https://www.gregmitchellmotors.com/mg/new-cars/zs-ev/1033/

That sounds like the most logical way to do it, I have however asked and was told I'd need to be a UK Resident in order to reserve (mainly due to the grant situation)

Has anyone been in this situation before? If so I'd love to hear what one could do to in regards to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I see MG are extending the offer for an additional 1000 units, no free charger with the next batch but still looks great value.

• Advertisement

Kate reviews it

Summary: a very decent, great value, very practical family EV. Top of the range model just GBP23k. Charging disappointingly only at 55kW on Ionity - it is supposed to be 85kW. Bigger boot than eNiro. 0-60 2s quicker than the official figure of 8.5s, so bit of a pocket rocket

James and Kate are selling their Tesla Model S and they are replacing it with the MG!

Advertisement