Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

10-04-2019, 22:04   #1
VonLuck

Buying in area with high crime rates

I am just looking for some thoughts on buying in areas known to have a reputation for crime.

Due to my limited budget, I've been looking at some houses in areas that some may consider less desirable. This is mainly due to some higher profile news articles that appear from time to time.

Generally these crimes are related to gangs whereby there are either drug seizures or violent crimes between gang members. My thinking is that these guys are keeping to themselves and I've nothing to worry about, but everyone I speak to is telling me to avoid these areas altogether and that I'm foolish for thinking of buying there.

I've actually checked the crime rate in these areas per capita based on the crime figures from a few years ago and the crime rate isn't that much higher than a more affluent area, but violent and gang related crime are significantly higher.

Has anyone any experience in purchasing properties in these kind of areas, or any advice into research I should be doing?
Advertisement
10-04-2019, 22:07   #2
HeidiHeidi

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonLuck View Post
I am just looking for some thoughts on buying in areas known to have a reputation for crime.

Due to my limited budget, I've been looking at some houses in areas that some may consider less desirable. This is mainly due to some higher profile news articles that appear from time to time.

Generally these crimes are related to gangs whereby there are either drug seizures or violent crimes between gang members. My thinking is that these guys are keeping to themselves and I've nothing to worry about, but everyone I speak to is telling me to avoid these areas altogether and that I'm foolish for thinking of buying there.

I've actually checked the crime rate in these areas per capita based on the crime figures from a few years ago and the crime rate isn't that much higher than a more affluent area, but violent and gang related crime are significantly higher.

Has anyone any experience in purchasing properties in these kind of areas, or any advice into research I should be doing?
The big headline crimes aren't what I'd be worrying about (much).

It's the low level anti social behaviour that's usually endemic in those areas that would put me off. I'd be trying to suss out what it's like on a day to day basis on the ground.
10-04-2019, 22:08   #3
hmmm

I don't believe the official crime figures, and I wouldn't use them to make any decisions. If you're not from there and know the area I would stay well away.

Is a smaller property or a doer-upper in a slightly better area an option?
Thanks from:
10-04-2019, 22:19   #4
Lumen

The exact location (street/estate) rather than the area is what's important.

I used to live about 200m from where there were shootings and was happy leaving the kids to play outside all day.

Burglary-wise, it's the nice looking houses in expensive areas that tend to get targetted. Or maybe I was just lucky.
Thanks from:
10-04-2019, 22:22   #5
Eric Cartman

the problem is the anti social behaviour from younger teenagers , the drug addicts that inevitably surround drug dealers, if they go rouge ala that estate in moyross and run everyone else out of the area etc...

you say you cant afford a better area, living in an area like that, your house and car insurance can be double the money , some tradespeople / takeaway delivery people won't come to your house, busses often cancelled on halloween or during other busy times that schools are off. Paying more for locks, security systems, possibly window bars or other security tools.

There are extra costs that get in the way of a cheaper house.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
10-04-2019, 22:23   #6
Atlantic Dawn

You get insurance you have your house secure, nothing more you can do. A career burglar would be far more likely to target a house in Foxrock than Finglas.
10-04-2019, 22:27   #7
KKV

Send a message via MSN to KKV
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeidiHeidi View Post

It's the low level anti social behaviour that's usually endemic in those areas that would put me off. I'd be trying to suss out what it's like on a day to day basis on the ground.

This is pretty much the issue you're dealing with OP. You'll never get anyone burning your car out, shooting up your house or threatening to kill you unless you invite such people to your doorstep.

What you will get is scumbags that live in the area that never worked a day in their lives, having late night parties, riding around on scrambler bikes, congregating near houses making loads of noise, burning wheelie bins at halloween etc.

However, as has also been suggested above, even bad areas have nice sections within them. I live in a rough estate, and my street has quietened a fair bit as time has moved on (and people have grown up) but i still see hassle passing by as the new generation of knackers are congregating somewhere else in the same estate.

You really have to know an area properly.
Thanks from:
10-04-2019, 22:28   #8
Teepinaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeidiHeidi View Post

This is very accurate. Do as advised and also visit the area of a weekend night, to get a good sense of it. Especially when the weather is fair - you'll get an idea about who's hanging around, if anyone is.
10-04-2019, 22:35   #9
voluntary

Well, it's definitely better to buy in a bad area than to buy in a OK area which then turns bad. At least you buy cheap and there's a good chance Ireland will sort out many of these issues in the years to come. Many people have bought into reasonably good estates paying big buck and these estates then turned bad after years.
Advertisement
10-04-2019, 22:38   #10
whiskeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumen View Post
Burglary-wise, it's the nice looking houses in expensive areas that tend to get targetted. Or maybe I was just lucky.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantic Dawn View Post
. A career burglar would be far more likely to target a house in Foxrock than Finglas.
Is there any stat evidence of this?
I always felt from reading through papers it was the opposite. So many reports I've seen the burglar lived very near in an area with a higher crime rate.
I'm sure CSO figures tell the story.

I'd feel much more secure in a house in a nice area than a 'bad' area.
10-04-2019, 22:43   #11
Eric Cartman

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyman View Post
Is there any stat evidence of this?
I always felt from reading through papers it was the opposite. So many reports I've seen the burglar lived very near in an area with a higher crime rate.
I'm sure CSO figures tell the story.

I'd feel much more secure in a house in a nice area than a 'bad' area.
+1

you tend to get 3 types of burglars

1) opportunists / addicts - always sh*t on their own doorstep because they don't have the funds to go anywhere else, will gladly rob your house for a few quid for heroin or cans.

2) Professional burglars - cars stolen to order, high end jewellery etc, doesn't matter where your gaf is, if they want the thing you have, theyre coming for it.

3) Our 'nomadic' community - mostly target rural ireland , but do urban estates too, usually steal things made of metal, tools, etc... will often go to an area and go door to door posing as offering some sort of service for a few days, do a spate of robberies in one area and leave then. No way to predict / stop / mitigate, but they probably wouldnt chance a really poor area.
10-04-2019, 22:47   #12
John_Rambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantic Dawn View Post
You get insurance you have your house secure, nothing more you can do. A career burglar would be far more likely to target a house in Foxrock than Finglas.
They're a rare and organised criminal that will target the homes of business owners with cash or people with desirable cars for foreign resale. Your common, opportunistic scumbag will stick to the comfort zone of familiar surroundings.

OP, I'd avoid unless there's solid evidence of gentrification. There's always the chance that you'll end up rearing kids in the area as so many people have learnt over the last fifteen years. Best of luck.
10-04-2019, 23:37   #13
the_syco

Quote:
If you intend to have kids, be aware that they'll become friends with people whose idea of fun is stealing from a store. As they may have no aspirations of life, they won't care if they spend some time in jail.

Quote:
Less desirable to raise kids, less desirable to park your car, or less desirable to buy?

If you're a nice person, don't buy in a bad area. If you've lived in a rough area, you may be okay, but do you want your kids dealt the same hand that you got?

As said, some less desirable areas won't get food delivered to your house and lack transportation. Lack of public transportation may make your car a viable joyriding target.
10-04-2019, 23:46   #14
Ken Tucky

Comments on low level crime and anti social behaviour are spot on.
I lived somewhere like that to get a deposit up. It was two years of hell. I must have been one of the few to go to work everyday. I dreaded summer. I prayed for rain to keep the fu*kers indoors. It was hell for me. Some of the stuff I witnessed, the waste of life(as in trying to do something worthwhile) was shocking.
The residents seemed to have a great time though. Don't know where they got the money for drink...
Don't do it without a get out plan. I had one but it very nearly broke me as I was close to losing it with some of the teenagers by the time I got out.
Bad bad memories
10-04-2019, 23:58   #15
Sleeper12

In parts of Dublin there have been shootings for nearly two years. If you are in these areas there is a chance of getting shot. They do hit the wrong person every now and then. They opened fire outside a school last week.

The real issue is anti social behaviour. This you will deal with day in & day out. Even quiet areas can have trouble. There are several gangs travelling the DART at weekends. Young teenagers but 30 or 40 of them. They get off in random areas & cause havoc. Killester, Clontarf, Raheny, Kilbarrack, Bayside, portmarnock, Malahide, etc. They leave behind smashed car windows, wing mirrors. They mug other teenagers. They have beaten some so badly they had a few days in hospital. These are young teenagers. They will be a bigger thorn in your side than the "real criminal's"

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion