Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

02-04-2019, 12:52   #6031
Ads by Google

I'd honestly be reconsidering my SF vote up north. I don't know the dynamics all that well but I'd want my voice heard.

I don't want SF to go to the Commons. Just talking future.
Advertisement
02-04-2019, 13:03   #6032
Shelga

If they leave with no deal, are there any circumstances in which Leavers would recognise that the ensuing economic catastrophe is a direct result of crashing out? Or will they somehow find other ways to explain everything away? This is, after all, mass cognitive dissonance on a scale I've never seen before.

Would it just be like "diesel diesel diesel" for every supermarket shortage, for every lorry queue?
Thanks from:
02-04-2019, 13:05   #6033

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelga View Post
If they leave with no deal, are there any circumstances in which Leavers would recognise that the ensuing economic catastrophe is a direct result of crashing out? Or will they somehow find other ways to explain everything away? This is, after all, mass cognitive dissonance on a scale I've never seen before.

Would it just be like "diesel diesel diesel" for every supermarket shortage, for every lorry queue?

They're already blaming the EU for punishing them in the negotiations for leaving.
(3) thanks from:
02-04-2019, 13:07   #6034
BobbyBobberson

https://twitter.com/SebastianEPayne/...37778407829505

My god.
(2) thanks from:
02-04-2019, 13:07   #6035
funkey_monkey

https://twitter.com/instituteforgov/...36458329640960

Why did SNP abstain on the CU option last night?

Interestingly, there seems to be a core number of around 40 Tories who abstained on all votes. Do we know if that number was made up of a consistent core of MPs or if it was various names dropping in and out?
Advertisement
02-04-2019, 13:09   #6036
briany

Quote:

I don't think Comical Ali would have anything on Nigel Farage, Mark Francois or JRM in terms of bare-faced denial in the event wherever a no-deal Brexit is a disaster, and their followers will likely go along with that.

To be fairly also, if a no-deal Brexit somehow tuebed into a rousing success, I think the levels of denial on the other side would be similar.
(2) thanks from:
02-04-2019, 13:13   #6037
robinph

Send a message via ICQ to robinph Send a message via AIM to robinph Send a message via MSN to robinph Send a message via Yahoo to robinph Send a message via Skype™ to robinph
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkey_monkey View Post
https://twitter.com/instituteforgov/...36458329640960

Why did SNP abstain on the CU option last night?

Interestingly, there seems to be a core number of around 40 Tories who abstained on all votes. Do we know if that number was made up of a consistent core of MPs or if it was various names dropping in and out?
That would be the cabinet who were told not to participate.
(2) thanks from:
02-04-2019, 13:17   #6038
funkey_monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinph View Post
That would be the cabinet who were told not to participate.
Yes - forgot about that.

https://www.gov.uk/government/ministers

That would total 23 ministers, plus 6 hangers-on = 29. So, about 10 regular Tory MPs abstained.
02-04-2019, 13:17   #6039
17-pdr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Moriarty View Post
Oliver Letwin now "90% certain" there will be a No Deal exit. Has given up on any more indicative votes. He's either scaremongering or accepting what he sees as the inevitable.

Yep, Beth Rigby reporting this. Mood is 'grim' apparently.

https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status...33361373782021
Thanks from:
Advertisement
02-04-2019, 13:17   #6040
marno21

Quote:

They will blame the EU and a whole host of others and the violent rhetoric and division will get worse. Given the volume of people who support a no deal Brexit it seems these people will believe anything

It really has been an exercise in mass disinformation and brainwashing. The damage is already done at this point. It's sad that we are so caught up in it. If it was on the other side of the world we'd be laughing
(4) thanks from:
02-04-2019, 13:18   #6041
PropJoe10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyBobberson View Post

Of course she would. She sees it as her binding moral duty to deliver Brexit, no matter what the cost. There is no good solution to any of this shambles.
(3) thanks from:
02-04-2019, 13:24   #6042
joe40

Quote:
Originally Posted by gormdubhgorm View Post
Extraordinary times call for extraordinary measures.
It would only be a 'propaganda coup' for a while real business would be able to begin then.
Sinn Fein should at least consider going to the commons. They might lose some core vote but gain new voters.
That would be real leadership. Sinn Fein are as much to blame for Brexit as the Conservatives May/Cameron/Rees-Mogg et al - Labour - Corbyn and his wishy washy half hearted remain campaign. The DUP -Arelene etc.

But Sinn Fein much perfer being the hurlers in the ditch in the dail/stormont/HOC. They are only opoosition in one and are not in the other two at the moment.
Sinn Fein are as much to blame as the others for Brexit as they hide behind a 'mandate' and do nothing.
The only way that SinnFein would be able to influence the HoC to support any deal would be for them to publicly and vociferously back a "no deal" so that they could then say they will pursue a border poll.
(obviously half joking here)
But the idea that Sinn Fein could go to Westminster and support a deal...
Could you imagine what the DUP and ERG could do with that. Everyone else who supports the same deal would not only be labelled as traitors (already happened to Domininc Grieve) but also IRA sympatheisers.
02-04-2019, 13:24   #6043
looksee
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeinsterDub View Post
This says more about you than the SF person. Numerous people for across the entire political spectrum have indicated that a hard border could become dangerous to those who'd have to enforce it.
And why would that be?
Thanks from:
02-04-2019, 13:27   #6044
Leroy42

Quote:
Originally Posted by PropJoe10 View Post
Of course she would. She sees it as her binding moral duty to deliver Brexit, no matter what the cost. There is no good solution to any of this shambles.
TBF, it is on the only legacy she can possibly achieve at this stage. Her time as PM will be remembered as totally ineffective, save for Brexit.

So does she leave with the Brexit question put back onto the converoy belt of take the risk that a No Deal won't be as bad as expected. She will be saved from any negative effects regardless, so it is probably worth the risk and she will at least have achieved something.
02-04-2019, 13:27   #6045
joe40

Quote:
Originally Posted by looksee View Post
And why would that be?
Dissident republicans. Was that a serious question?
(2) thanks from:
Thread Closed