Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

04-02-2019, 21:22   #1
mr_cochise

Council Inspection for HAP

Hi all,
the following is from the council's report of our rented property inspection... "Sitting room has a heat producing appliance. Change vent cover from open/close to one which is permanently fixed in an open position."

The room in question has an open fire place. There is no wall vent but there are vents in the windows. House built in 2008.
I cannot find the specific requirements in the regulations.

Any thoughts?
Advertisement
04-02-2019, 22:28   #2
kceire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cochise View Post
Hi all,
the following is from the council's report of our rented property inspection... "Sitting room has a heat producing appliance. Change vent cover from open/close to one which is permanently fixed in an open position."

The room in question has an open fire place. There is no wall vent but there are vents in the windows. House built in 2008.

Any thoughts?
Technical Guidance Document Part J and Part F.
(3) thanks from:
05-02-2019, 14:41   #3
Askthe EA

Quote:
Hi all,

Any thoughts?

Need to get a vent hole bored through the wall.
(2) thanks from:
05-02-2019, 14:49   #4
Rows Grower

Quote:
Hi all,

Any thoughts?
Contact the person that signed the letter and they will gladly explain exactly what it is you have to do. They no more want to be calling back and forth to your rented property than you do.
(2) thanks from:
05-02-2019, 14:49   #5
TheBoyConor

There is already a vent hole bored. It is just the internal cover needs to be changed for one that isn't closable. Shoudl cost about a tenner.

However, in my experience the closable vent covers as usually so flimsy and wobbly that they might as well be fully open while in the "closed" position.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
05-02-2019, 14:55   #6
emeldc

Quote:
Hi all,

Any thoughts?
Yea, sounds like the vent just has to be one that's open all the time.
I had an inspection about 15 months ago and was issued with a list of nonsense that was going to cost well over €1k. I ignored it and haven't heard from them since.
Thanks from:
05-02-2019, 14:58   #7
Aye Bosun

I had something similar not with the HAP scheme but with SEAI grant scheme when i got external insulation installed..the SEAI inspector said that vent in the sitting was not ok because it could be closed. All that it needed to pass was for a screw to be fitted to keep the vent from being closed. I did it myself right in front of the inspector and he passed it there and then..easy fix!
Thanks from:
05-02-2019, 20:07   #8
mr_cochise

Thank you all of your input.
The tenant is not too keen on a new vent hole. She has seen one in a neighbour's house and it lets in a lot of noise from the estate outside.
05-02-2019, 20:09   #9
punisher5112

Quote:
The tenant is not too keen on a new vent hole. She has seen one in a neighbour's house and it lets in a lot of noise from the estate outside.
You can get inserts that help prevent wind noise and other sounds.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
05-02-2019, 20:10   #10
emeldc

Quote:
Unfortunately that’s not your problem. Tell the tenant to take it up with the council.
(2) thanks from:
05-02-2019, 20:13   #11
mr_cochise

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeldc
Yea, sounds like the vent just has to be one that's open all the time. I had an inspection about 15 months ago and was issued with a list of nonsense that was going to cost well over €1k. I ignored it and haven't heard from them since.
A colleague of mine said he also ignored it about 2 years ago and there was no further noise about it.

There are a few other minor items on the report that I don't mind doing, ie, window restrictors and putting the fire blanket in a more prominent place. These are clearly spelled out in the regs.
It was just that the regs are not so specific on the ventilation.
05-02-2019, 20:24   #12
emeldc

Quote:
A colleague of mine said he also ignored it about 2 years ago and there was no further noise about it.

There are a few other minor items on the report that I don't mind doing, ie, window restrictors and putting the fire blanket in a more prominent place. These are clearly spelled out in the regs.
It was just that the regs are not so specific on the ventilation.
In my case one of the things needed was a expelair fan in the kitchen. The problem is it’s not on an outside wall so the vent would need to go through the bathroom and one of the bedrooms. This requirement is not in the regs for a private tenant, just a hap tenant because the freeloaders are special. I’ve a pain in me hoop with the system and hopefully by next year I’ll be in a position to sell up and be shut of the whole fiasco. Sorry for the rant
05-02-2019, 20:35   #13
mr_cochise

Quote:
Originally Posted by punisher5112
You can get inserts that help prevent wind noise and other sounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeldc
In my case one of the things needed was a expelair fan in the kitchen. The problem is it’s not on an outside wall so the vent would need to go through the bathroom and one of the bedrooms. This requirement is not in the regs for a private tenant, just a hap tenant because the freeloaders are special. I’ve a pain in me hoop with the system and hopefully by next year I’ll be in a position to sell up and be shut of the whole fiasco. Sorry for the rant

I totally understand where you're coming from. I look after that house and any issues have always been dealt with in a timely manner. The ventilation in the living room was fine for me for 5 years when I lived there.
I should be ready to bail out in about 3 years myself.
Thanks from:
06-02-2019, 09:38   #14
L1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeldc View Post
the freeloaders are special.
This language is unacceptable and against the forum charter
(4) thanks from:
10-02-2019, 08:17   #15
ImARebel

I'm beginning to **** myself. We've a tenant, he asked would we accept HAP as he's now entitled to it. We said OK not knowing we can get landed with a list a mile long of "improvements"

Apartment is in great condition, maintained annually and tenant never wants for anything repair wise or anything.

I'm seriously worried as we don't have the cash for all of this

What happens if you don't do the repairs. Is it as simple as not being eligible for HAP?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion