Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wind Warning Sat 26 PM to Sun 27 AM Jan 2019

• 25-01-2019 9:17pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭

nR092b9.png

oaUnUMC.png

DJddOBG.png

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Dublin, Louth, Wexford, Wicklow, Donegal, Galway, Leitrim, Mayo, Sligo, Clare, Cork, Kerry and Waterford
    A period of strong and blustery northwest winds will develop later Saturday, starting along the Atlantic Seaboard and extending to other coastal counties overnight. High seas expected also.
    Northwest winds, mean speeds 55 to 65 km/h, giving gusts between 90 and 110 km/h. The strongest of the winds will be in exposed coastal locations, where winds may temporarily exceed these values.

Issued: Friday 25 January 2019 11:00

Updated: Friday 25 January 2019 11:00

Valid from Saturday 26 January 2019 20:00 to Sunday 27 January 2019 09:00

Models showing fairly high winds on the coasts tomorrow night into Sun up to 110km/h in general, think it warrants a thread. EURO 4 showing some gusts straying into the Orange level at times, possibly up around 120 km/h, in the NW and N . Looks like a high end yellow along the coasts.

Windy across the whole country tomorrow night into Sun.

0fhfrtS.gif

anim_dqa5.gif

anim_gjv4.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭holliehobbie

So is the Meath coastline special or something?? It's not included in the yellow wind warning!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Frontal rain crossing the country from the W to the E from early morning . Winds initially from the SW will veer to the NW. Windy in the SW from early morning.Most of the rainfall accumulations along Atlantic coastal counties. Heavy showers from the afternoon, hail and thunder possible , probably more so in the NW .

qjKwh4o.jpg

MHHexTP.png

FuNdF8t.png

anim_ppo5.gif

arpegeuk-25-41-0_snn1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

So is the Meath coastline special or something?? It's not included in the yellow wind warning!
    Im going swimming in bettystown at midnight tomorrow!!!! I'll let you know how special the waves are. :D

I think everyone is like, "why can't this be a snow storm".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

I was just looking at that, the wind must stop between drogheda to mornington and pick up again somewhere between gormanstown and balbriggan, lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

I was just looking at that, the wind must stop between drogheda to mornington and pick up again somewhere between gormanstown and balbriggan, lol

Ile of Man shadow lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Posted this in the general thread y'day.. Wind already fierce out here and let us say that any of my cats who fail to come in by the time the direction changes to NW will sleep in the shed!

That is the dangerous direction here as we get a wind tunnel effect and it all but takes the door off. Last year I got dragged across the concrete...
    so no door opening!

So another long night of hiding under the bedclothes ( divan!) lol

Please take care everyone.. got a bad feeling re this one.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

ARPEGEE showing a bit stronger winds this morning especially for Kerry. ECM still more or less the same. EURO similar with a few gusts possibly up to 120 km/h in coastal areas especially the SW, W , NW and N

anim_bce6.gif

arpegeuk-52-28-0_itt8.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

ARPEGEE showing a bit stronger winds this morning especially for Kerry. ECM still more or less the same. EURO similar with a few gusts possibly up to 120 km/h in coastal areas especially the SW, W , NW and N
    [/IMG]
    Can confirm that Kerry is blowing a gale.:(

Can confirm that Kerry is blowing a gale.:(

Much the same out here; west mayo offshore ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,094 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Wind warnings updated:
    NATIONAL WARNINGS
    no warning
    Status Yellow - Wind warning for Donegal, Leitrim, Mayo, Sligo, Clare and Kerry
    This evening and overnight, very strong north to northwest winds will reach mean speeds of 60 to 65 km/hr with gusts of 100 to 110 km/hr. Wind speeds may exceed these values at times in exposed coastal areas. There will also be very high seas.

Issued: Saturday 26 January 2019 10:00

Updated: Saturday 26 January 2019 10:00

Valid from Saturday 26 January 2019 19:00 to Sunday 27 January 2019 07:00

no warning
    Status Yellow - Wind warning for Leinster, Cavan, Monaghan, Roscommon, Cork, Limerick, Tipperary and Waterford
    Early tonight and overnight, north to northwest winds will reach mean speeds of 50 to 65 km/hr with gusts of 90 to 100 km/hr.

Issued: Saturday 26 January 2019 10:00

Updated: Saturday 26 January 2019 10:00

Valid from Saturday 26 January 2019 20:00 to Sunday 27 January 2019 09:00

Galway seems left out.

• Advertisement

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Wind warnings updated:

Galway seems left out.

Surely a clerical error?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,094 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Graces7 wrote: »
    Surely a clerical error?

Added into the former warning now.

They seem to do this alot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Posted this in the general thread y'day.. Wind already fierce out here and let us say that any of my cats who fail to come in by the time the direction changes to NW will sleep in the shed!

That is the dangerous direction here as we get a wind tunnel effect and it all but takes the door off. Last year I got dragged across the concrete...
    so no door opening!

So another long night of hiding under the bedclothes ( divan!) lol

Please take care everyone.. got a bad feeling re this one.

Can I ask where you live with the fierce winds and the doors blowing off? It sounds very melodramatic your feeling of it been very bad scares me. Almost of wanting to leave this country for the next few days to escape this behemoth. Hopefully everyone lives through this especially your cats there the ones I'm most worried about.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    Can I ask where you live with the fierce winds and the doors blowing off? It sounds very melodramatic your feeling of it been very bad scares me. Almost of wanting to leave this country for the next few days to escape this behemoth. Hopefully everyone lives through this especially your cats there the ones I'm most worried about.

She’s on an Island off Mayo so when a gale inland it’s a storm out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

She’s on an Island off Mayo so when a gale inland it’s a storm out there.

Thought all the islands were unpopulated { Mod Snip }.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Added into the former warning now.

They seem to do this alot!

Only human. There was one time years ago when a message came on "there is no weather today."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    Thought all the islands were unpopulated now your skin will be like leather.

Mayo has 7 inhabited islands.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,722 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭KingBobby

Sorry for the "will it be windy in my backyard" question but I'm just trying to decide on an outdoor event tomorrow morning. The met eireann wind warning ends at 9am tomorrow but BBC weather shows it to be 70km until 12 in Dublin.

Any ideas what time the wind should die down tomorrow in Dublin?

Darkness falling now and rain beating the windows.

My good neighbour the ferryman came with my extra turf order ( six bags of beautiful dry turf, hand cut) and spoke of a "very bad wind coming in; from the North" he emphasized.. He was born here and has lived and sailed here all his life, so he knows whereof he speaks.

North is the worst direction, slamming in off the ocean,

So we hunker down now. All safely stowed away, ready to be battered.. ;)

the sound is the worst. Something utterly primitive and primeval in these storms, as there is in the great ocean itself, something unchanging we have no control over.... soothing even when terrifying

stay safe.

• Advertisement

KingBobby wrote: »
    Sorry for the "will it be windy in my backyard" question but I'm just trying to decide on an outdoor event tomorrow morning. The met eireann wind warning ends at 9am tomorrow but BBC weather shows it to be 70km until 12 in Dublin.

I think you just answered your own question ;)

I think you just answered your own question ;)

Aside from the crucial 3 hour time difference! BBC shows it to be windier at 11am tomorrow than at 4am hence the confusion. I have an outdoor event at 10am and would need to cancel it now if met eireann got their timings wrong

Aside from the crucial 3 hour time difference! BBC shows it to be windier at 11am tomorrow than at 4am hence the confusion. I have an outdoor event at 10am and would need to cancel it now if met eireann got their timings wrong

Probably gusting around 60 to 70 km/h I would think. Easing off later in in the afternoon.

eiT2G7P.png

3cKH8QA.png

qhMj2cB.png

5707_qqn4.png

Probably gusting around 60 to 70 km/h I would think. Easing off later in in the afternoon.

Thanks a million

Getting quite gusty now in Castlebar, early days but touching 70 km/hr already.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Dublin Airport's TAF for tomorrow morning is as follows:

Generally gusting to around 35 knots (65 kph) up to midday, weakening slightly to 30 knots (56 kph) after that.

TAF EIDW 261700Z 2618/2718 24012KT 9999 SCT015 BKN030
    TEMPO 2618/2624 -SHRA SCT018CB
    PROB40 TEMPO 2618/2624 4000 SHRA
    BECMG 2619/2621 31017G29KT
    PROB30 TEMPO 2620/2623 BKN012
    BECMG 2622/2624 33030G45KT
    BECMG 2701/2704 32025G40KT
    TEMPO 2704/2709 32022G35KT
    BECMG 2709/2712 31021G35KT
    BECMG 2712/2715 31018G30KT

BECMG 2716/2718 29015G25KT

Malin Head gusting 107 km/hr already, Belmullet 102 km/hr.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Fitzo123

Big wind in Sligo town. Think this could surprise a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭pauldry

58 knots in Malin just shy of top wind of Winter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭davemc6832

Wind fairly loud in Letterkenny. Came on quick. Was out walking about 5 was really calm.

Advertisement