Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RSA ad on unaccompanied L drivers

• 05-01-2019 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Anyone see the latest RSA ad? Man from north cork who’s wife and daughter died a few years ago in a horrible accident- the ad is quite pointed and sharp I think. I know his family were killed and it’s very tragic but the poor girl didn’t deliberately set out to kill them and could have happened any driver or accompanied driver. I think it’s in poor taste/tone

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Do you know the full details of the incident? AFAIK her being an unqualified inexperienced driver contributed to the incident

• Registered Users Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭road_high

lbc2019 wrote: »
    Do you know the full details of the incident? AFAIK her being an unqualified inexperienced driver contributed to the incident

Yes in so much as was in the media. An accident can happen even the most experienced of drivers, pretty hard to pin blame solely on that aspect.

road_high wrote: »
    Yes in so much as was in the media. An accident can happen even the most experienced of drivers, pretty hard to pin blame solely on that aspect.

Thats the point of the investigation

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Needles73

I think the ad is very inappropriate. I have nothing but sympathy for this man who lost his wife and daughter.
    But I also have sympathy for the unaccompanied driver who was unsupervised and made a terrible mistake. They have to live with this. That’s punishment enough without an ill thought out type of advert.

Thats the point of the investigation

There’s usually a lot of factors involved. That come together. Had they’re been no flood for example they wouldn’t have died as they unfortunately drowned in surface water after all the rainfall that winter

• Advertisement

Needles73 wrote: »
    I think the ad is very inappropriate. I have nothing but sympathy for this man who lost his wife and daughter.
    But I also have sympathy for the unaccompanied driver who was unsupervised and made a terrible mistake. They have to live with this. That’s punishment enough without an ill thought out type of advert.

That’s exactly my point. I cringe when it comes on

It will teach others not to drive alone unless fully qualified

There’s usually a lot of factors involved. That come togrtger. Had they’re been no flood for example they wouldn’t have died as they unfortunately drowned in surface water after all the rainfall that winter

So she was inexperienced and driving in a flood?

Accidents dont just ‘happen’ I worked in Motor insurance claims - there is always an underlying cause

So she was inexperienced and driving in a flood?

She wasn’t driving “in a flood”. Fields and dykes beside the road were flooded

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

These ads will not put people off.

Most young people hell even older don't even watch TV anymore and use many other methods.

What should be also looked at is these ditches, drains, blind bends/corners.... Etc. They should be covered or moved further from the road.

I myself was very lucky to walk away from a crash where I hit black ice and went off road directly into a tree right beside a swollen river.

The car was destroyed and I had to get out the passenger side but the river had not one barrier or any protection and a huge drop off from the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Plenty of "learner" drivers driving unaccompanied for sometimes up to 10 years as they haven't been bothered even sitting a test. Just because someone is a learner driver doesn't necessarily mean their inexpierenced there's plenty of people on a learner permits driving longer than people on full licences.

Accidents dont just ‘happen’ I worked in Motor insurance claims - there is always an underlying cause

That's why they are called road traffic collisions.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Plenty of "learner" drivers driving unaccompanied for sometimes up to 10 years as they haven't been bothered even sitting a test. Just because someone is a learner driver doesn't necessarily mean their inexpierenced there's plenty of people on a learner permits driving longer than people on full licences.

Well they should do a test. Learner permit drivers are not allowed drive unaccompanied with good reason

But they are still not experienced enough to be honest.

It's ridiculous what's actually allowed go on out there.

Driving styles are horrendous.

These ads will not put people off.

Most young people hell even older don't even watch TV anymore and use many other methods.

What should be also looked at is these ditches, drains, blind bends/corners.... Etc. They should be covered or moved further from the road.

I myself was very lucky to walk away from a crash where I hit black ice and went off road directly into a tree right beside a swollen river.

The car was destroyed and I had to get out the passenger side but the river had not one barrier or any protection and a huge drop off from the road.

We’re you driving at a suitable speed for the conditions? Were there signs indicating the unprotected banks?

She wasn’t driving “in a flood”. Fields and dykes beside the road were flooded

So there was flooding and If I remember the weather was poor

That's why they are called road traffic collisions.

We referred to them as road traffic incidents

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I think it like the drunk driver ad are very appropriate tbh.

I'd like to see that learner driver charged appropriately

Well they should do a test. Learner permit drivers are not allowed drive unaccompanied with good reason

Yes but that doesn't mean many still do. I know people who commute to and from work everyday by car driving on the motorway from down the country to Dublin and they've been driving for the guts of four or five years.

• Advertisement

Yes but that doesn't mean many still do. I know people who commute to and from work everyday by car driving on the motorway from down the country to Dublin and they've been driving for the guts of four or five years.

So not only are they breaking one law, they are breaking two?

But they are still not experienced enough to be honest.

It's ridiculous what's actually allowed go on out there.

Driving styles are horrendous.

I'd agree with you there but it's not just learner drivers plenty of bad drivers out there with full licences too. They should have to have at least sat a test before renewing a licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Needles73

It will teach others not to drive alone unless fully qualified

I hope it does but at what cost. A single incident which clearly points blame at one person should not be the basis of a national road safety campaign at Christmas.
    For years unaccompanied drivers drove because the law wasn’t enforced. Now we have a new unnecessary law and maybe it will be enforced. Maybe not. The RSA ( and our law makers) are great with road safety once it costs very little. We test our cars but who tests the roads ? We have laws coming out our ears but yet everyday I see people driving and on the phone for example. Do the guards not see what i see ?
    We want to bring in more laws to protect cyclists but we don’t want to actually build proper cycle lanes. We bring in even tighter drink laws but we never actually enforced the old ones.....We don’t teach road safety in schools, we don’t teach first aid. We investigate every fatal road accident but why don’t we publish the findings minus names and sensitive details ? Where’s the learning ?

Surely we could have done better than single out one accident and remind one person that they cost two life’s at Christmas. In my opinion very poor and lazy by RSA.

So there was flooding and If I remember the weather was poor

Yes as is often the case in Ireland! Should we all just stop driving every time the weather conditions are not 100% perfect?

So not only are they breaking one law, they are breaking two?

That appears to happen due a lack of enforcement.

Yes as is often the case in Ireland! Should we all just stop driving every time the weather conditions are not 100% perfect?

Inexperienced drivers shouldn’t drive in poor weather

I hope it does but at what cost. A single incident which clearly points blame at one person should not be the basis of a national road safety campaign at Christmas.
    For years unaccompanied drivers drove because the law wasn’t enforced. Now we have a new unnecessary law and maybe it will be enforced. Maybe not. The RSA ( and our law makers) are great with road safety once it costs very little. We test our cars but who tests the roads ? We have laws coming out our ears but yet everyday I see people driving and on the phone for example. Do the guards not see what i see ?
    We want to bring in more laws to protect cyclists but we don’t want to actually build proper cycle lanes. We bring in even tighter drink laws but we never actually enforced the old ones.....We don’t teach road safety in schools, we don’t teach first aid. We investigate every fatal road accident but why don’t we publish the findings minus names and sensitive details ? Where’s the learning ?

Surely we could have done better than single out one accident and remind one person that they cost two life’s at Christmas. In my opinion very poor and lazy by RSA.

The courts found her at fault

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Anyone see the latest RSA ad? Man from north cork who’s wife and daughter died a few years ago in a horrible accident- the ad is quite pointed and sharp I think. I know his family were killed and it’s very tragic but the poor girl didn’t deliberately set out to kill them and could have happened any driver or accompanied driver. I think it’s in poor taste/tone

I agree and my mother and I were just talking about it on the phone. Anyone would think that she and her parents were psychotic. I totally get that his life is destroyed but this ad smacks of state sponsored vengeance and I hope that this doesn’t backfire on them.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Stheno wrote: »
    I think it like the drunk driver ad are very appropriate tbh.

I'd like to see that learner driver charged appropriately

I just discovered she was banned for 15 years

Seems fair

It seems the RSA only do these ads after court

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think it’s in poor taste/tone
    Killing someone's family is also in poor taste/tone.

I did a 3-day first aid course and was taught the basics of first aid. If I try to do CPR on someone, but they die anyway, I won't be held accountable. However, if I try to do brain surgery, which I'm not trained for and they die, well, I was acting far beyond my training and would be negligent to have tried brain surgery at all. I would be held accountable.

Similarly, learner drivers are required to be accompanied by trained drivers. If they aren't accompanied, they are acting beyond their training and need to be held accountable.

Advertisement