Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
02-01-2019, 13:16   #1
Loughc
Moderator
 
Loughc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 13,862
2018 A Christmas Forum Year In Review

So another busy year is done and dusted here in the Christmas forum. And a busy day in work for me means I've recycling a lot of last years thread on this but everything I said last year still rings through this year. Spoiler: Ye are all amazing!

This has been our busiest year EVER for the Christmas forum completely smashing our previous busiest year 2015 by 1,431 posts. We also broke the 8,000 posts mark for the first time ever and we weren't too far off hitting 9k, maybe this year haha

This level of posting is a testament to all of our wonderful elves who post here both at Christmas time and all year round and the wonderful community feel ye have made here. Ye guys truly make this forum what it is and without ye Boards would be a much gloomier place. And a massive thank you to my wonderful Co-Mod Posy who keeps this place in tip top condition all year around and is a pleasure to mod with.

Looking ahead to 2019 we will be continue to build on a more community feel during the off-season so hopefully ye guys will stick around even if ye are all Christmas out at the moment.

Old favorites will return, the Countdown, Out of Season, etc and I'll be creating more threads like Christmas funnies/memes, the exercise/weight loss thread, that give us more of a chance to chat about things not just Christmas.

And of course our chat thread is there for everything and anything and of course we are always here for whenever you have a bad day or need an ear to listen or a place to vent, our Christmas lights are always on no matter the time of the day or night.

So what were your highlights from 2018 either in or out of the forum?
Loughc is offline  
Advertisement
02-01-2019, 13:19   #2
Loughc
Moderator
 
Loughc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 13,862
A highlight this year on the Forum had to be the excitement we had when ChristmasFM came back for one day only during the snow storm.

The excitement was brilliant and it felt so festive!!
Loughc is offline  
03-01-2019, 13:48   #3
DvB
Registered User
 
DvB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,200
Best decision I ever made on Boards was to hang around this forum for the whole year, as I have said on many an occasion its easily the friendliest & most welcoming section on boards & I loved being around for the full year & seeing the increase in posts & posters after the summer had ended. Can see no reason as to why I'd change that so here's to the next 12 months on the Christmas forum!!

Thanks again to LoughC & Posy for their excellent modding, the atmosphere in here is hugely down to you two & I for one am extremely grateful that we have this little haven of joy to come to when we're not feeling our best or most positive or even if we simply fancy checking in.
Well done guys!

I just hope January doesnt drag its heels as much as last year.... compared to the other 11 months it seemed so much longer!!

My personal highlight was the adverts thread, I love when that starts up on Nov.1st, dont think i added many of the 2018 crop to my playlist but its always great to see what new & wonderful ideas of Christmas are presented to us, good or bad.
DvB is offline  
03-01-2019, 17:27   #4
Loughc
Moderator
 
Loughc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 13,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by DvB View Post
Best decision I ever made on Boards was to hang around this forum for the whole year, as I have said on many an occasion its easily the friendliest & most welcoming section on boards & I loved being around for the full year & seeing the increase in posts & posters after the summer had ended. Can see no reason as to why I'd change that so here's to the next 12 months on the Christmas forum!!

Thanks again to LoughC & Posy for their excellent modding, the atmosphere in here is hugely down to you two & I for one am extremely grateful that we have this little haven of joy to come to when we're not feeling our best or most positive or even if we simply fancy checking in.
Well done guys!

I just hope January doesnt drag its heels as much as last year.... compared to the other 11 months it seemed so much longer!!

My personal highlight was the adverts thread, I love when that starts up on Nov.1st, dont think i added many of the 2018 crop to my playlist but its always great to see what new & wonderful ideas of Christmas are presented to us, good or bad.
Thank you for hanging around, it really was the best decision

OMG January last year felt like 3 months rolled into one, I'm hoping this one will be quicker and I'm feeling positive it will be.

January is the Monday of the year for me...
Feb-May is Tuesday...
Jun-Aug is Wednesday...
Sept-Oct is Thursday...
November - Dec 23rd is Friday...
Christmas Eve is Saturday...
Christmas Day - NYE is Sunday...

And just like a working week once you get through Wednesday the rest of the week flies in as does the year from Sept on!
Loughc is offline  
(4) thanks from:
03-01-2019, 17:33   #5
Loughc
Moderator
 
Loughc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 13,862
On a personal note, 2018 was an extremely busy year for me, from buying a house for the first time, getting all the paperwork done to moving in to the house in November that I really didn't get much time to appreciate the build up of the last 2 months which is usually the best part.

This year I'll be more settled thankfully so I'll defo will make the most of the build up this year.

I love the concept of Rudolph day, but when it falls during the week it's hard to squeeze in Christmas time.

This year I'm going to use my Sundays to do something Christmassy if only for a moment or two. Sundays to me remind me of the period from Christmas to New Years, it's relaxing and a great time to reflect. So this year I'll be using my Sundays for Christmassy stuff and the beauty is there's 52 of them
Loughc is offline  
(6) thanks from:
Advertisement
07-01-2019, 09:34   #6
CheerLouth
Registered User
 
CheerLouth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 1,231
Like DvB, sticking around all year was the best idea for me! Love this forum - it's the best place on Boards imo!

For me, the highlights were Christmas in March & the Christmas Ads thread! Love a good ad I do!
CheerLouth is offline  
(5) thanks from:
07-01-2019, 13:56   #7
chuckles30
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,365
I think I was around more this year than previous years and I was definitely here more outside of December than in December due to work issues

Thank you to all the elves who keep this forum going throughout the year. I'll be around again in 2019 to keep my Christmas spirit alive
chuckles30 is offline  
(3) thanks from:
08-01-2019, 06:51   #8
Jude13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,279
Ditto I was around this year a lot more than previously. It was a crutch when traveling to keep the spirits up. Christmas reminds me of home. I love the no BS aspect of the place. Thanks to all the elves for making it so special.

I am already thinking of ways to make our trip to Ireland in Dec 19 special, it will be the first Christmas in Ireland for our coming baby.

Last edited by Jude13; 08-01-2019 at 10:48. Reason: Because I wasnt a crutch, 'it' was
Jude13 is online now  
08-01-2019, 10:26   #9
DvB
Registered User
 
DvB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude13 View Post
I am already thinking of ways to make our trip to Ireland in Dec 19 special, it will be the first christmas in Ireland for our coming baby.
I'm already looking forward to reading your posts about this Jude, your excitement around coming home for christmas is infectious at the best of times & with a baby added to the mix I can only imagine the new levels of excitment
DvB is offline  
(5) thanks from:
Advertisement
08-01-2019, 10:51   #10
Jude13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by DvB View Post
I'm already looking forward to reading your posts about this Jude, your excitement around coming home for christmas is infectious at the best of times & with a baby added to the mix I can only imagine the new levels of excitment
Cheers, I will try and keep everyone updated. I am sure it will be a mess but a lovely one. Traveling with a new born again on an 8.5 hour flight should be great craic.

I just need to be walking down Grafton Street on the 23rd for it to feel like Christmas. That and some snow would be nice.

We need an elf on the toy show this year.
Jude13 is online now  
(2) thanks from:
08-01-2019, 11:22   #11
Loughc
Moderator
 
Loughc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 13,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude13 View Post
I just need to be walking down Grafton Street on the 23rd for it to feel like Christmas. That and some snow would be nice.

We need an elf on the toy show this year.
Seems to be no sign of snow at all this winter over here

I was hoping for another snow event like last Feb/Mar, it was so magical and definitely brought a bit of Christmas out of season for most folks. Popped over to the weather forum and the outlook is not good for the same this year.

I have no idea how we can get someone onto the Toy Show from here again... I have no shame when applying and I even mentioned boards.ie Christmas forum in my application last year but it made no difference.
Loughc is offline  
08-01-2019, 17:42   #12
Sundew
Registered User
 
Sundew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude13 View Post
Cheers, I will try and keep everyone updated. I am sure it will be a mess but a lovely one. Traveling with a new born again on an 8.5 hour flight should be great craic.

I just need to be walking down Grafton Street on the 23rd for it to feel like Christmas. That and some snow would be nice.

We need an elf on the toy show this year.
Just make sure to bring a travel size bottle of calpol with you and you’ll be grand!
Sundew is offline  
(2) thanks from:
08-01-2019, 18:06   #13
otnomart
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,871
I was definitely around more this year, expecially since I bought the flight home (used to be around Sept, but it is getting earlier and earlier).
Christmas means Home for me, I still get homesick after years of "expatting" and this Forum is like a fluffy cuddly blanket
Expecially enjoyed the ads and movies threads and also the seminal debates about trees, lights, songs.
Thanks Mods (Head Elves ?) and Elves !
I plan to stick around expecially for the Winter !
otnomart is offline  
(4) thanks from:
08-01-2019, 20:29   #14
Caranica
Registered User
 
Caranica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 1,855
I've loved this forum. Started following it when I opened a new account (long story but all within the rules) and ditched almost all the fora I'd previously followed.

Such a lovely sense of community in here. I'm not a fan of chat threads but there's been plenty going on around the forum that I love dipping in.
Caranica is offline  
(7) thanks from:
21-01-2019, 16:22   #15
Loughc
Moderator
 
Loughc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 13,862
Is there anything as posters ye guys would like to see in 2019?

As the Christmas hangover slowly fades we tend to go into the Abyss in terms of post count, etc, so I would love to know what else we can do to keep ye guys coming back in the off-season.
Loughc is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet