Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

27-12-2018, 20:38   #1
StereoSound

22 syrian families arrive in ireland, then what?

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018...yria-refugees/

I have some questions about how this whole system works....

>What happens after they arrive here? It says they will be put into permanent
housing, and I assume given social welfare payments and various benefits ?

>Will they be given job training and college courses ?

>Are refugees prioritized over Irish citizens for housing and other state
benefits since they are looked at as sort of an emergency case ?

>Are refugees given a guaranteed citizenship when they are accepted here ?

>What is expected of refugees in Ireland in the long term? Are they expected
to get jobs and pay tax contributions straight away or is that waved for "x"
amount of years while they settle themselves into a new society ?

I don't understand enough about how refugees in Ireland are settled and probably many others don't know either. Explain to those not in the know how exactly how this works in 2018'.
Advertisement
27-12-2018, 20:41   #2
Alrigghtythen

Once the war in their own country is over, these doctors and lawyers will be hotfooting it back there to help restablish their society
27-12-2018, 20:42   #3
Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

22 Irish families are taken off the council list and given a forever home in Syria. Exchange programme.
(116) thanks from:
Advanced Gh0st, aidan24326, Andrew00, Aska, Atoms for Peace, banie01, Big Joe Nevin, Big Pussy Bonpensiero, biko, Blazer, chalkitdown1, chrismon, Chud, coathanger, colm_mcm, CucaFace, Cyclonius, CYHSN, Dónal, Daithi_115, Dalomanakora, danslevent, Deadlift kid, deadlineday, deceit, denismc, Dillosk412, dotsman, Doylers, duffysfarm, easygoing39, ebbsy, EKRIUQ, El_Bee, enricoh, For Forks Sake, frag420, Fr_Dougal, Gannicus, gavindublin, GM228, gmisk, golondrinas, golondrinas1, gordongekko, Hande hoche!, Herb Powell, heroics, IanOBo, Jarren1, JayZeus, jimmycrackcorm, jmayo, jones, josephsoap, jpfahy, jt69er, Juanito13, juice1304, kingchess, Kivaro, KKV, lexi-lexi, Martina1991, massdebater, Meeoow, Merlion, mieletech, missmelo, MonkieSocks, muddypaws, mun1, Neyite, notharrypotter, o1s1n, Odyssey 2005, og2k7, old_aussie, Orwellmerchant, PaddyBomb, pawrick, peekachoo, Pretzill, Purple Mountain, Rawr, Reati, robinwing, Ronan|Raven, Rubberchikken, Sadb, saintsaltynuts, Samsgirl, SeaFields, Sharknose, SirChenjin, skooterblue2, SuperS54, Tabnabs, TCM, TeaBagMania, Terri26, Teyla Emmagan, Thargor, The Fav, TheBeach, TheBody, Toxicity, Turbohymac, Uboat, Ursus Horribilis, UsBus, vectorvictor, vintac34, Vowel Movement, westernfrenzy, whiskeyman
27-12-2018, 20:59   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by StereoSound View Post
https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018...yria-refugees/

I don't understand enough about how refugees in Ireland are settled and probably many others don't know either. Explain to those not in the know how exactly how this works in 2018'.

These are people in desperate need of help. I welcome my government for letting them in. Forget about the politics of this situation and think about the human need. Their country has been devastated by war and its these people , the innocent that is suffering. It wasnt that to long ago us Irish needed help from the international community.
(129) thanks from:
00sully, 17larsson, Achasanai, Ahwell, Airyfairy12, alchemist33, ancapailldorcha, Arbie, AtomicHorror, Augme, Auguste Comte, Ave Sodalis, batgoat, BBFAN, belfe, Big Pussy Bonpensiero, Brendan Filone, Brian?, brightspark, bubblypop, byhookorbycrook, Can I come too..., Canard, Candie, Captain Red Beard, captbarnacles, cashback, CatInABox, certifiedcrepe, Church on Tuesday, circadian, Cork Lass, Cyclonius, CYHSN, DaCor, Daithi_115, Dalomanakora, danslevent, Darkglasses, Dillosk412, Discodog, DoctorStrange, Dr Sunshine, dublincelt, Duck Soup, Easy Rod, eviltwin, facehugger99, Flying Fox, For Forks Sake, GalwayGrrrrrl, Gbear, GerardKeating, GingerLily, Gloomtastic!, gman2k, Goodshape, gordongekko, Graces7, Grayson, G_R, handlemaster, Heraldoffreeent, Herb Powell, Hesh's Umpire, highly1111, IanOBo, Icemancometh, J Cheever Loophole, JamesL85, Joeytheparrot, Johnnyhpipe, joxer1988, jt69er, JupiterKid, Kalyke, kingchess, kippy, LeinsterDub, longgonesilver, Martina1991, Maryanne84, massdebater, McGiver, MightyMandarin, Mr Johnson, Mrs OBumble, muddypaws, mun1, musiknonstop, myshirt, needwater, Neyite, Odhinn, omega man, ondafly, PaddyBomb, Pappa Dolla, pawrick, peekachoo, PMC999, quickbeam, RayCun, relax carry on, RikkFlair, robindch, rsl1976, Samuel Vimes, SantaClaw, seamus, Silverfish, Sleeper12, smokingman, Solomon Pleasant, Spencer Winterbotham, Srameen, starbaby2003, Sundew, TenLeftFingers, Teyla Emmagan, thefasteriwalk, Timberrrrrrrr, Tipsy McSwagger, Tzardine, Water John, westernfrenzy, what?, WoolyJumper, yermandan
27-12-2018, 21:00   #5
engiweirdo

What about the lads fleeing from war torn France? Won't anyone think of them?
Advertisement
27-12-2018, 21:01   #6
Uboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aint Eazy Being Cheezy View Post
22 Irish families are taken off the council list and given a forever home in Syria. Exchange programme.
Send them back. The war is almost over in Syria.
27-12-2018, 21:03   #8
enricoh

After a brief stint in mosney, some quango will compete with working couples renting or buying the few houses available locally. Only one winner there!
27-12-2018, 21:05   #9
_Kaiser_

I've no problem temporarily supporting genuine refugees (spot the key words there), but once it's safe for them to return home they should do so, or apply for residency through established methods.

Bollox to this idea of shortcuts to permanent residency and citizenship though. It's very obvious in recent times that our State broadcaster is heavily pushing this agenda with all these pro-migrant "news"/advertising features and even a prime-time TV show.
Advertisement
27-12-2018, 21:09   #10
_Kaiser_

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2019 View Post
These are people in desperate need of help. I welcome my government for letting them in. Forget about the politics of this situation and think about the human need. Their country has been devastated by war and its these people , the innocent that is suffering. It wasnt that to long ago us Irish needed help from the international community.
The financial crisis you mean? The most expensive favour in Irish history. Don't let all the good news Recovery stories fool you - this country is still up to its neck in debt and right on course to repeat the same mistakes of a decade ago.

As I said above, providing a temporary sanctuary for genuine cases I have no problem with so long as it's within our real ability to provide .. but that's as far as it goes
27-12-2018, 21:10   #11
Wompa1

then what?

They live happily ever after, I hope!
27-12-2018, 21:11   #12
Arthur Daley

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Kaiser_ View Post
I've no problem temporarily supporting genuine refugees (spot the key words there), but once it's safe for them to return home they should do so, or apply for residency through established methods.

Bollox to this idea of shortcuts to permanent residency and citizenship though. It's very obvious in recent times that our State broadcaster is heavily pushing this agenda with all these pro-migrant "news"/advertising features and even a prime-time TV show.
Syria needs rebuilding, so once these folks get back on their feet, they should be aiming to assist in the rebuilding of their country that has been turned into a demolition site in the course of this decade.
Thanks from:
27-12-2018, 21:21   #13
toyotafan

I dont like muslim and most of them are. Rape, killed would be a problem when they came. I could see from Germany. Dont know what to do if this happened in our lovely country. Many Irish people dont have house but these people will have "permanent housing" as a funny sound. I met a family in Galway, I think from Syria. They were living in a hotel and got money from Irish govermemt for one year while waiting for their papers. The man said, they would have a Stamp 4 residence permit.
27-12-2018, 21:22   #14
Sadb

There are several different categories of refugees/asylum seekers, benefits vary depending on which category you fall into.

once your refugee status is granted you are given an 8 week language and training course to help get you into the work force.

No

No, citizenship is an entirely different process

Once their refugee status has been granted they are expected to work like everyone else

27-12-2018, 21:27   #15
Ultimanemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by StereoSound View Post
then what ?.
Then they will bring their relatives to join them
Thread Closed