Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

17-12-2018, 01:30   #1
WillieMason
Banned

1,000 marchers march against Gardai in Castlerea, Roscommon

Garda having a bad time in Roscommon anyone have anymore info on what happened here?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crim...arda-1.3733223
Advertisement
17-12-2018, 01:46   #2
GarIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillieMason View Post
Garda having a bad time in Roscommon anyone have anymore info on what happened here?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crim...arda-1.3733223
Two men attacked a guard when he tried to stop them to question them. The guard fought back and 700 people went out to march because Roscommon is backwards as ****.
17-12-2018, 02:05   #3
Topgear on Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarIT View Post
Two men attacked a guard when he tried to stop them to question them. The guard fought back and 700 people went out to march because Roscommon is backwards as ****.
The guards certainly have their own spin on it in the papers, id be careful believing all that is spun out to the crime reporters.

There is now way a couple of hundred people in a small town came out to support a pair of burglars.

There must be more to this story.
17-12-2018, 02:22   #4
GarIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgear on Dave View Post
The guards certainly have their own spin on it in the papers, id be careful believing all that is spun out to the crime reporters.

There is now way a couple of hundred people in a small town came out to support a pair of burglars.

I misread it at first, I don't think even the Gardaí have said they were burglars. Just that there was a burglary nearby and the gard tried to stop them to ask them about it. And they attacked the gard.

People that claim to be locals say the men were drunk.
17-12-2018, 02:29   #5
ChikiChiki

I'd take the word of a "holier than thou" relative over the Garda spin machine to be honest. Said relative would not be out marching for no reason.

Last edited by ChikiChiki; 17-12-2018 at 02:32.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
17-12-2018, 02:30   #6
Guy:Incognito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgear on Dave View Post

And there's no way 50 people would queue up in court to shake the hand of someone convicted of sexually assaulting a woman.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/irelan...nd-108061.html
17-12-2018, 02:30   #7
12gauge dave

Story ive heard is that gardai got word of a break in in a shop and these two local men were walking home from pub home as they have done a thousands of times and just happened to be walking in area of shop when garda arrived on scene, the garda started asking them what are they doing and where are they going etc and remember neither man was aware of break in and one of mens relations even owns shop, so older man walked away saying hes going home and garda striked him in head with battern and repeatedly hit him then younger man tried to pull garda off older man and they got into scuffle.
The garda is not very liked in area and is well known for being aggresive.
The men are not scangers or rough people in anyway and they were not aggresive towards garda ao i hear but again this is all heard through the grapevine and i am not a local of roscommon.
17-12-2018, 05:08   #8
kneemos

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12gauge dave View Post
i am not a local of roscommon.

Very few are.
(2) thanks from:
17-12-2018, 11:52   #9
klaaaz

1,000 dissidents march against Gardai in Castlerea, Roscommon

1,000 dissident members of the public have demonstrated showing dissent against alleged Garda brutality in their town. Their MEP Luke Ming Flanagan was in the march from the local Lidl to the Garda station.
The FFG mouthpiece the Indo and the state mouthpiece RTE have not reported on this significant event. This show of dissent has been reported in the Irish Times and the Sun above all places. https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crim...arda-1.3733223
https://www.thesun.ie/news/3523690/p...confrontation/
I do not recall such a mass demonstration against Gardai in a town in this country before, is this the beginning of the end for Garda authority and perhaps a sign that we need a new police force?
Advertisement
17-12-2018, 11:58   #10
riffmongous

I don't think I've ever heard of anything like that before
17-12-2018, 12:54   #11
klaaaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffmongous View Post
I don't think I've ever heard of anything like that before
It's quite astonishing! These were ordinary people in a small town in rural Ireland marching against the behaviour of their own police service
17-12-2018, 13:16   #12
Guy:Incognito

Another thread on this, really?

Although the numbers have gone up to 4 figure now since the march. The lore is building.
Thanks from:
17-12-2018, 13:23   #13
Franz Von Peppercorn

Seems like normal people on the march.
Thanks from:
17-12-2018, 13:24   #14
pearcider

Interesting to see the various tensions building in advance of the hard brexit. AGS a farce with incompetent and corrupt management coupled with low morale in the grass roots. Morale at rock bottom in the defense forces. Can’t even get anyone to join the navy. Blue shirt zombie government completely out of touch in Dublin and sleep walking into disaster while our unelected Taoiseach is busy tweeting on nights out with celebs. Our Republic is walking into major trouble next year in my opinion. Anyway with half a brain can see it.
17-12-2018, 13:26   #15
gctest50

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaaaz View Post

1,000 dissident members of the public have demonstrated showing dissent against alleged Garda brutality in their town.

Great they could all get the day off at such short notice

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion