Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

01-11-2018, 10:21   #1
benny79

Boards Golf Society 2019

Ladies & Gentlemen, Boys & girls.

It gives me great pleasure to announce the list of venues for the forthcoming year for the Boards golf society for 2019.

Portmarnock Links GC - February 23th - 12.00pm

Athy GC - March 16th - 11.00am

The European GC - April 20th - 11.00am

Esker Hills GC - May 18th - 11.30am

Thurles GC - June 15th - 11.00am

Castleknock GC - July 20th - 11.00am

Carlow GC - August 17th - 11.00am

DOOKS GC - CAPTAINS PRIZE - September 21st - 2.00pm

We normally play the 3rd Saturday of each month "Feb - Sept"

*But please note the first outing "Portmarnock Links" is on the "4th" Sat of the month*

Membership is €30 for the year. As you can see there is 8 outings. Your best 5 outings count towards making the Ryder Jug team. At each outing you will get points depending on where you finished. Top 10 automatically qualify for the Ryder Jug team & the Captain (Me) has 2 picks We also have a Golfer of the year award. So even if you dont win an outing you have something to play for all year. The Ryder Jug team plays against another Society "The Reps" normally around the 3rd Saturday in October venue tba.

New members most welcome! You just need to have a love of the game

Hopefully the venues will entice some of the old members back! And a lot of new members to join. I hope there tempted at least.

This year I tried my best to put a real emphasis on the quality of Courses & to get them as cheap as possible which with rates going up is no easy task! I like to thank the committee for all the help & the people that done me favours! There was a lot of work & haggling involved behind the scenes that really goes unnoticed.

Many thanks to Post Punk the outgoing Captain I personally had a great year! Got my first Boards win, nearly had a second only for Tigerwood1 to beat me by a point on the 18th but a great round & great memories.. And gave the Golfer of the year a real run..

So thats it! Enjoy the break & hopefully 2019 is a golfing year to remember.

Your Captain for 2019

benny79
Advertisement
01-11-2018, 10:37   #2
benny79

Just a bit about my own Boards golf experience. I was a member of the Golf forum for a number of years always reading threads starting some and generally getting involved but never had the courage to join the Boards Golf society. I was tempted each year but meeting a bunch of people of the internet was a bit weird imo

Then about 3 or 4 years ago some of the venues were to hard to resist and I took the plunge & I wished I had of done it sooner! After all we play with strangers most weeks at our clubs thats what makes golf a unique sport in a way.

So I rocked into The Heritage golf club on my own with a bunch of lads & some women staring at me or so I taught! The first person I spoke to was doublecross & lucky enough it was his first outing too! Boards virgins and its safe to say its one of the best decisions I every made!

I have made some great friends! even the Cork lads have grown on me (who would of thought ) played some great courses & being to some of the most beautiful parts this Country of ours has to offer! So much so I look forward to the Boards outings more than my Clubs!! If only the boards was every week.

So if you were once like me please feel free to come along man or women & get involved. I can guarantee, it will be one of the best decisions you make. Of course some venues there's a bit of travel involved but life is short & trust me its totally worth it!

Last edited by benny79; 01-11-2018 at 11:11.
01-11-2018, 10:47   #3
Mantis Toboggan

Some quality tracks there in fairness, best of luck for the year.
(2) thanks from:
01-11-2018, 10:48   #4
charlieIRL

Mod: Golf, ZTest
Best of luck this year captain. Can’t wait to get going again.
Thanks from:
01-11-2018, 11:01   #5
RoadRunner

Cracking line up Benny! I'll write down those days and try get in booking requests!
Thanks from:
Advertisement
01-11-2018, 11:12   #6
doublecross

Great looking line up, can't wait
Thanks from:
01-11-2018, 12:59   #7
ronnoco13

great looking line up, hoping to actually join society this year played a few years back as guest
Thanks from:
01-11-2018, 15:08   #8
newindublin

Looks like a very interesting lineup! Is Portmarnock the hotel course or the Portmarnock Golf Club?
Thanks from:
01-11-2018, 15:33   #9
benny79

Quote:
Originally Posted by newindublin View Post
Looks like a very interesting lineup! Is Portmarnock the hotel course or the Portmarnock Golf Club?
Its the hotel course.
Advertisement
01-11-2018, 18:01   #10
spacecoyote

Great list there Benny, a class mix of courses.

Have never played the European & it's really high on my list.

Carlos was a cracker of a course a few years ago, looking forward to getting back there.

Good luck for the year, will be aiming to retain the captains prize
Thanks from:
01-11-2018, 21:17   #11
Break80

]I have made some great friends! even the Cork lads have grown on me (who would of thought )
01-11-2018, 21:28   #12
Break80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Break80 View Post
]I have made some great friends! even the Cork lads have grown on me (who would of thought )

Best of luck for the year Captain.
I am welling up here after that compliment.

I will use this quote for the full year of tour captaincy just to remind you
Thanks from:
02-11-2018, 09:02   #13
benny79

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecoyote View Post

Have never played the European & it's really high on my list.
Your in for a treat! I have played it once a few years ago over the Christmas to get the winter rate as the summer rate is mad money and without doubt its by far the best course I ever played and we have it in April! I'm most excited about this one.

Oh and Tiger Woods has the course record I think its a 69 if I'm not mistaking. His card is in the club house.
Thanks from:
02-11-2018, 10:12   #14
kennethrhcp

looks good Benny!!! I'll join up this year... had a great laugh at Castlemartyr last year.

I will need to be a bum for the majority of trips up the country as myself & my wife share a car (apologies in advance but I'll be generous with petrol money )
Thanks from:
02-11-2018, 10:17   #15
benny79

No Hassle Kenneth good to have you on board. Im sure one of the many Cork lads can sort you out. I hope to start a car pooling thread alongside each outing as I noticed a lot do travel more or less from the same direction plus would help some with petrol money which is always a bonus.
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion