Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

15-10-2018, 12:02   #1
Rhineshark

Brexit discussion thread V - No Pic/GIF dumps please

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuro68k View Post
The British government is going to take it right to the cliff edge and hope that someone else compromises. Of course they have their excuses already lined up if no-one does, only real question is who they will blame.
1. The EU
2. Remainers
3. Ireland
4. Corbyn
Advertisement
15-10-2018, 12:05   #2
lawred2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurrache View Post
May supposed to be having a press conference on Brexit today. Commentators over there saying it's unusual as they're usually not given outside of the afters of meetings etc. Press photographers also saying that her team have been blocking the media, using cars, from taking any photos of her on her way into Number 10, taking her in through a side/back door.
A deal? She's going to walk? Call a snap GE?

Or another see through "lady is not for turning" speech for the tabloids?
(3) thanks from:
15-10-2018, 12:06   #3
Itssoeasy

Quote:
May supposed to be having a press conference on Brexit today. Commentators over there saying it's unusual as they're usually not given outside of the afters of meetings etc. Press photographers also saying that her team have been blocking the media, using cars, from taking any photos of her on her way into Number 10, taking her in through a side/back door.
Has she changed appearance drastically or something ? What a strange thing to be doing.
15-10-2018, 12:07   #4
kuro68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatty View Post
I think that even if corbyn votes against a deal, and whips the vote, it will damage him little. The more fervent in the press want a hard brexit in any case, and corbyn has been consistent in arguing for a softish brexit, and can continually point to this. The tories are carrying the parcel here. They will be foursquare landed with the backlash.
I've said before that in years to come, the drivers of the bus in the public eye, May, fox, Davis, bojo and Jrm will not be able to safely walk down a public street.
The Tory press doesn't know how to deal with Corbyn. Everything they say about him comes over as either ridiculously extreme (e.g. it's a communist/terrorist/Russian agent) or ridiculously trivial.

And right now they don't know what to do to get their suicidal brexit fantasies because they need the Tory party to deliver but aren't sure that May will be able to do it. If they force May out they might get Corbyn or brexit cancelled entirely, but if they don't they might end up with the dreaded "bad deal".
Thanks from:
15-10-2018, 12:12   #5
Leroy42

Why are charlatans like Johnson and Davies given any credibility over in the UK.

Johnson came out recently and said the reason he backed the backstop originally was that he was lied to. Is he implying that the PM lied to the cabinet? And that Davies went along with this lie? On why didn't Raab explain that when he found out on becoming the Minister.

It is a pretty serious charge to lay against the PM, not to even begin to think of it being the leader of his own party.

And now Davies is claiming that TM has to go if she continues on. TM, remember, is the democratically elected leader of the Tory party. They knew want they were getting when they voted for her. Isn't that how they think democracy works?

But why are the these, and others like them such as DIS, still allowed to give their opinions when at every stage they have been shown to have no answer and no ideas.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
15-10-2018, 12:13   #6
Hurrache

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawred2 View Post

I suspect the later, outlining how reasonable they have been throughout the whole process, and all that stuff.
15-10-2018, 12:14   #7
First Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy42
But why are the these, and others like them such as DIS, still allowed to give their opinions when at every stage they have been shown to have no answer and no ideas.

They are free to give their opinions. It is up to others to listen to them - or elect them.

A country gets the politicians it elects, and therefore deserves. I have no sympathy for them and neither does anyone who matters in the EU.
15-10-2018, 12:20   #8
Panrich

Quote:
Coveney saying that the agreement on the backstop Britain made had no time limit, and someone posts a pic of the agreement backing what he says up in the thread below.
https://twitter.com/tconnellyRTE/sta...60868512452608
I'm not sure that leaking of this sort is useful at this stage. By all means when the deal is finally off but not at this is a critical time.

Leaks via RTE almost scuppered the agreement last December and we should not risk publicising the content of putative deals that remain unsigned.
(2) thanks from:
15-10-2018, 12:31   #9
ancapailldorcha
Order! Order!

Brexit discussion thread V

Mod: As the old thread is nearing 10,000 posts, it's time for a new thread.

The old thread is here:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...#post108354990
Advertisement
15-10-2018, 12:34   #10
Hurrache

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panrich
I'm not sure that leaking of this sort is useful at this stage. By all means when the deal is finally off but not at this is a critical time.

Leaks via RTE almost scuppered the agreement last December and we should not risk publicising the content of putative deals that remain unsigned.

Nothing has been leaked? This is old news going back to December, made public in official EU documents, presumably signed off by the May's government.
Thanks from:
15-10-2018, 12:38   #11
ancapailldorcha
Order! Order!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuro68k View Post
The Tory press doesn't know how to deal with Corbyn. Everything they say about him comes over as either ridiculously extreme (e.g. it's a communist/terrorist/Russian agent) or ridiculously trivial.

And right now they don't know what to do to get their suicidal brexit fantasies because they need the Tory party to deliver but aren't sure that May will be able to do it. If they force May out they might get Corbyn or brexit cancelled entirely, but if they don't they might end up with the dreaded "bad deal".
They can't because they've been legitimizing anti-intellectual debating tactics for a long time now. We can now see that some Corbyn supporters are now, not entirely unreasonable dismissing much of the Tory press as being "fake news". I mean, when you look at some of the utter nonsense that's been hurled at the man like his being a Czech spy or the nonsense about how he dresses I can somewhat sympathize and that's before you look a the business of Brexit.
(3) thanks from:
15-10-2018, 12:42   #12
Call me Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panrich View Post

He's referring to their written assurances last Dec and March.
(2) thanks from:
15-10-2018, 12:45   #13
Zubeneschamali

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panrich View Post
I'm not sure that leaking of this sort is useful at this stage.
Is 2017 classified now, and pointing to a public position taken by the UK back then is now leaking a secret?
(2) thanks from:
15-10-2018, 13:28   #14
flatty

Quote:
Quote:

I'd go with option 3
15-10-2018, 13:29   #15
LuckyLloyd
The Voice of Reason

Quote:

You know exactly what it will be!
Thread Closed