Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-10-2018, 07:16   #1
dancinpants

Issue with new bike

Hi folks,

I bought a new road bike about seven weeks ago and have been enjoying my cycling. I noticed a rattle on the bike about three weeks ago but assumed it was down to me putting a bracket and pump on the frame.

The rattle (like a loose stone) stayed for the next two spins and then on Sunday morning I was bombing down a hill when I noticed the back wheel starting to wobble badly to the point where I nearly came off the bike. I hopped off and one of the spokes was broken and the back wheel was badly buckled. The rattle must have been the little screw that connects the spoke to the rim hopping around in the rim. Anyway, I had to stop and get my wife to collect me.

I haven't had time to get to the bike shop yet, but would I be right in saying that they should replace the wheel for me? I think I cycled the bike about four to five times and did not have any incidents that caused the spoke to break or the screw to come loose. Any advice appreciated before I get on to the bike shop.

Regards,
Brian.
Advertisement
11-10-2018, 07:22   #2
RossieMan

I honestly don't see why they should. You noticed an issue, ignored it, then breaks, now you want a new one for free?

It's your error, not theirs.
All new bikes can become loose when first riden, they generally will be looked at after a couple of weeks.
11-10-2018, 07:27   #3
dusty207

Bring it back, the bike wasn't assembled properly and should have been checked before you got it.
(4) thanks from:
11-10-2018, 07:33   #4
uncle-mofo

They should change the spoke and true it for free, I wouldn't expect a new wheel. Cannondale by any chance?
Thanks from:
11-10-2018, 08:24   #5
irishrover99

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle-mofo View Post
They should change the spoke and true it for free, I wouldn't expect a new wheel. Cannondale by any chance?
Why would it be a Cannondale.
Firstly, they are great bikes and secondly, do they even make wheels
Advertisement
11-10-2018, 08:30   #6
uncle-mofo

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishrover99 View Post
Why would it be a Cannondale.
Firstly, they are great bikes and secondly, do they even make wheels
Their own brand Maddux wheels seem to break spokes a lot, something with the rim/nipples where the nipple doesn't sit in line with the spoke, and the spoke leaves the nipple at an angle causing extra stress on the spoke.

Curious as my the back wheel on my Cannondale is flying through spokes and Cannondale are popular at the moment.

Last edited by uncle-mofo; 11-10-2018 at 08:38.
11-10-2018, 08:53   #7
beauf

Most people who cycle get buckles and break spokes and have to have wheels straightened.

Only if it's happening a lot would you be worried.
11-10-2018, 08:58   #8
Macy0161

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty207 View Post
Bring it back, the bike wasn't assembled properly and should have been checked before you got it.
I don't see how you can say that tbh. Spokes are an item that break, particularly if you ignore the first signs, or if you hit something. They may fix it free of charge, but I wouldn't be counting on it.

Assuming it was offered (it should've been), it could've at least been identified at the 6 week check, rather than break at week 7.
11-10-2018, 09:14   #9
dusty207

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macy0161 View Post
I don't see how you can say that tbh. Spokes are an item that break, particularly if you ignore the first signs, or if you hit something. They may fix it free of charge, but I wouldn't be counting on it.

Assuming it was offered (it should've been), it could've at least been identified at the 6 week check, rather than break at week 7.
The OP has a certain mechanical knowledge in that he heard something rattling, maybe he is partially at fault here but loads of people buy bikes and couldn't identify a rattle and could have the same thing happen. It's a grey area I suppose but I think the onus would be on the shop. Fit for purpose and all that.
Advertisement
11-10-2018, 09:22   #10
magicbastarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macy0161 View Post
I don't see how you can say that tbh. Spokes are an item that break
not after five cycles on a new bike, though?
(2) thanks from:
11-10-2018, 09:24   #11
beauf

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbastarder View Post
If it want set up right and you hit a pothole would it matter how many cycles.
11-10-2018, 09:51   #12
Macy0161

Quote:
You'd be hoping there wouldn't be an issue with LBS, I'm just saying they may not necessarily see it as their issue. It could've been a number of things other than poor quality from the start, or a poor build. Pothole, damaged/ hit where ever it's stored, that the bike has fallen on something...
11-10-2018, 10:22   #13
Cee-Jay-Cee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossieMan View Post
I honestly don't see why they should. You noticed an issue, ignored it, then breaks, now you want a new one for free?

It's your error, not theirs.
All new bikes can become loose when first riden, they generally will be looked at after a couple of weeks.
Calm down...The bike is more or less brand new and the bike shop should repair the spoke free of charge. Its only a spoke, Its not like he's asking for a new replacement bike.
11-10-2018, 10:33   #14
ford2600

Most manufacturers are guilty of putting crap wheels on off the shelf bikes.

A spoke coming loose after a few spins is strongly suggestive of a poorly built wheel. Well built wheels don't just have spokes come loose.

The strength and reliability of bicycle wheel is dependent on it being a properly built prestressed structure. When not properly tensioned and stressed spokes come loose. If the spoke is just replaced this wheel will probably continue to cause problems
Thanks from:
11-10-2018, 10:56   #15
dense

Quote:

And anyway, it only started happening yesterday, didn't it??

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion