Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-10-2018, 17:22   #1
steddyeddy

Do landlords in Ireland have it as tough as they think?

I think some landlords in Ireland have a tendency to play the poor mouth. In receipt of the biggest rents in the history of the state, yet they're very vocal about how they're mistreated by the government ect. I get that there needs to be more protection against bad tenants but anyone who has rented has encountered their own share of dodgy landlords too.

I think it grates on people that they're moaning about life during a housing crisis which ultimately benefits them and makes it harder for tenants even on a decent wage. I lived and rented in other countries and currently live in the UK and I have to say the standard of service is far higher in other places. One thing that Irish landlords never seemed to get is the fact that once they rent a property out it's someone else's residence. You don't get to turn up unannounced and walk around.

So to sum up the cool story bro I think that Irish landlords really shouldn't feel like the victims in the housing crisis. Yes some things could work better but as a group they could be doing a lot worse.

Last edited by steddyeddy; 09-10-2018 at 17:34.
Advertisement
09-10-2018, 17:27   #2
Zebra3

If landlords have a problem there’s a simple solution.

Sell up and invest your money elsewhere.

Not interested in your whinging.
09-10-2018, 17:33   #3
steddyeddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra3 View Post
If landlords have a problem there’s a simple solution.

Sell up and invest your money elsewhere.

If they have a genuine problem like bad tenants and not enough legislation then fair enough, but the type of problems they talk about on Boards and other areas involve them not being able to walk in and out of a rented house over and over again.
09-10-2018, 17:36   #4
wexie

I don't know, but from reading some of the threads lots of them are sure angry over something.
(5) thanks from:
09-10-2018, 17:36   #5
Yer Da sells Avon

Go onto the Accommodation & Property forum and you'll see people suggesting, in all seriousness, that landlords shouldn't be taxed on their income and that if you're renting a house, it isn't your home. If they have it tough at a time when they can effectively name their price, then it's not a sustainable business model and they should find a more productive way of earning a living.
Advertisement
09-10-2018, 17:41   #6
steddyeddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yer Da sells Avon View Post
Go onto the Accommodation & Property forum and you'll see people suggesting, in all seriousness, that landlords shouldn't be taxed on their income and that if you're renting a house, it isn't your home. If they have it tough at a time when they can effectively name their price, then it's not a sustainable business model and they should find a more productive way of earning a living.
This is it exactly. These sorts of LLs seem to have great pains to have to operate within a business whereby you can charge huge amounts of a person's wage, have to pay tax to the government and then actually not invade the tenants home once they're there.
09-10-2018, 17:45   #7
Pkiernan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra3 View Post
If jobdodgers have a problem there’s a simple solution.

Get a job lazybones.

Here you go
(3) thanks from:
09-10-2018, 17:48   #8
Pkiernan

Quote:
Originally Posted by steddyeddy View Post
I think some landlords in Ireland have a tendency to play the poor mouth. In receipt of the biggest rents in the history of the state, yet they're very vocal about how they're mistreated by the government ect. I get that there needs to be more protection against bad tenants but anyone who has rented has encountered their own share of dodgy landlords too.

I think it grates on people that they're moaning about life during a housing crisis which ultimately benefits them and makes it harder for tenants even on a decent wage. I lived and rented in other countries and currently live in the UK and I have to say the standard of service is far higher in other places. One thing that Irish landlords never seemed to get is the fact that once they rent a property out it's someone else's residence. You don't get to turn up unannounced and walk around.

So to sum up the cool story bro I think that Irish landlords really shouldn't feel like the victims in the housing crisis. Yes some things could work better but as a group they could be doing a lot worse.
When you leave college and save up for a property and rent it out and some rogue tenant screws you over you'll change your tune.
09-10-2018, 17:51   #9
steddyeddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkiernan View Post
When you leave college and save up for a property and rent it out and some rogue tenant screws you over you'll change your tune.
I worked all of my life in all sorts of jobs to put myself through college. Left home at 16 and paid for everything myself. I'm working and doing OK thanks. I've also encountered plenty of dodgy landlords who ripped me off when I could least afford it. So try to look at it from the tenants point of view.

I lived in a house with a nice landlord who did later fall victim to bad tenants so as I said in the OP there needs to be more protection there.
Advertisement
09-10-2018, 17:54   #10
Pkiernan

Quote:
Originally Posted by steddyeddy View Post
I worked all of my life in all sorts of jobs to put myself through college. Left home at 16 and paid for everything myself. I'm working and doing OK thanks. I've also encountered plenty of dodgy landlords who ripped me off when I could least afford it. So try to look at it from the tenants point of view.

I lived in a house with a nice landlord who did later fall victim to bad tenants so as I said in the OP there needs to be more protection there.
Roddy Doyle eat your heart out...

My last tenants point of view cost me 17000.
09-10-2018, 18:00   #11
steddyeddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkiernan View Post
Roddy Doyle eat your heart out...
It was more Irvine Welsh than Doyle you'll find.

Quote:
My last tenants point of view cost me 17000.
At least you've retained your sense of humor.
09-10-2018, 18:02   #12
mikemac2

There is a landlord on boards who proudly admits he evicts tenants every five months

It’s seems after six months something called Part IV rights kick in and the tenants are harder to evict

Doesn’t matter if you are an amazing tenant you get evicted after 5 months

Still blames the government for all the woe and strife in his property business sob sob
09-10-2018, 18:06   #13
steddyeddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemac2 View Post
There is a landlord on boards who proudly admits he evicts tenants every five months

It’s seems after six months something called Part IV rights kick in and the tenants are harder to evict

Doesn’t matter if you are an amazing tenant you get evicted after 5 months

Still blames the government for all the woe and strife in his property business sob sob
What gets me is people complaining about government regulation. They usually say "how dare people tell me what to do with my own home". No, it's not just a home, it's a business if you want to rent it. When you rent out to other people it also becomes their place of residence. So yes protection is needed.
09-10-2018, 18:09   #14
mikemac2

Ah they pine for the days of Strumpet City
09-10-2018, 18:14   #15
Sky King

I had a tenant run up thousands and thousands in rent arrears. On top of this I had to meet mortgage payments and pay my solicitor. I got on to the RTB (useless) then my local TD, the ombudsman.

Eventually the overstaying tenant vacated the property. he had wrecked the place.

Never again.

Not playing the poor mouth, the law is there to protect vulnerable tenants and I totally understand and agree with this need. But it doesn't protect landlords and it needs to. It is totally deficient in this regard.

The chickens have come home to roost because landlords are voting with their feet, and if I was still one, I would do the very same. Air BNB all the way. i don't owe anyone long term accommodation and if I choose to provide it I want to be protected by the law. As it currently stands I wouldn't be.
(75) thanks from:
10pennymixup, 3rdDegree, AlanG, alchemist33, blackwhite, Brian?, byhookorbycrook, c montgomery, Cath54, CFlat, Count Mondego, CountingCrows, Crescent, declan2693, domrush, duffysfarm, Effects, FAILSAFE 00, Fenster, Fol20, fred funk }{, Get In There, givyjoe, gozunda, Grueller, handlemaster, howamidifferent, Iamxavier, Injuryprone, James Bond Junior, jammiedodgers, jimmycrackcorm, Keepgrowing, Klonker, Laois_Man, Lollipops23, marknjb, Mitzy, mmg0305, Momento Mori, musiknonstop, n97 mini, Nekarsulm, o1s1n, pc7, Penny Tration, Persepoly, pj9999, pocketse, psinno, pwurple, Quandary, Red Sheds, Rented Mule, Ronin247, Samuel T. Cogley, Sand, ShaneC93, Shoesdayschild, Simona1986, SirChenjin, stimpson, Suckler, Sugar Free, Taylor365, Teyla Emmagan, Thatnastyboy, thefloss, the_pen_turner, tom1ie, Ursus Horribilis, veryangryman, Whispered, Yamanoto, Yeah_Right

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion