Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traveling from Heuston Station October bank holiday Sunday

• 08-10-2018 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

I am intending on traveling to Heuston on the 28/10. This is also the day of the DCM. What are the possible ways to get from Heuston to merrion square that morning?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭hasdanta

a-b.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

145 to Nassau Street and walk from there would probably be your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,894 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Stephen15 wrote: »
    145 to Nassau Street and walk from there would probably be your best bet.

OP may not even get that far. As the marathon goes across the Liffey at Blackhall Place the 145 will experience serious diversions until at least 11AM. Luas will also be curtailed towards town so it's either walk or taxi or get a later train.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Tush155

Will taxis get across city?

Tush155 wrote: »

Not for long parts of the day on the route, no. Merrion Square is the gathering point for the start and end of the race so it will be off limits all morning and most of the afternoon as well. You will get across town but it will be very awkward so avoid your trip on the day if you can.

http://sseairtricitydublinmarathon.ie/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/SSE-AT-DM18-ROUTE-MAP.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,853 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

DCM should be a few circuits of the Phoenix Park. Little traffic disruption and lots of room to watch. But I suppose city marathons happen all over the world and they cope.

However, it is ridiculous the way we are prisoners for most of the morning, well depending on where you live and where you need to get to. I know it is a great day out for runners, but not so much for everyone else!

Here are the details and traffic restrictions etc.

http://sseairtricitydublinmarathon.ie/traffic-information/

Unfortunately not possible. Thank you for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

The red line LUAS stops for about an hour for the marathon. Before 9am or after 10am you can get that.

You say you are going to Merrion Square, so I presume you are either running the marathon or meeting someone afterwards. In either case the LUAS is fine.

However, it is ridiculous the way we are prisoners for most of the morning, well depending on where you live and where you need to get to.

If you live right on the marathon route, you can't get out of your driveway when it passes your door. But since it is on the same weekend, and basically the same route, every year, you can prepare by moving your car before the race.

from Heuston, a taxi can get to anywhere across the city.

Before 9 it can go down the quays.

After about 10.30 it can go down the quays.

Between 9 and 10.30 it can go south of the marathon - Military Road, James St, Marrowbone Lane.. to the South Circular, and across that way

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    from Heuston, a taxi can get to anywhere across the city.

Before 9 it can go down the quays.

After about 10.30 it can go down the quays.

Between 9 and 10.30 it can go south of the marathon - Military Road, James St, Marrowbone Lane.. to the South Circular, and across that way

That’s great, thank you. Yes hoping to meet someone after but getting off Luas at abbey street and walking rest of the way may not be feasible

That’s great, thank you. Yes hoping to meet someone after but getting off Luas at abbey street and walking rest of the way may not be feasible

You could get red LUAS to abbey street and green LUAS to Dawson Street or Stephen's Green.

Most of the South Circular Road is closed from 9AM until about 2PM. The quays and a lot of the south inner city roads are inaccessible from 8AM until about 11AM. Even some approach roads to the road are closed off as required.

Your only option from Heuston early in the day is to cross at Watling Street bridge, but this will still only get you as far as Cornmarket/Cook Street or Francis Street. As this area is a makeshift bus terminus for many buses and what few cars that will be out it will be busy until about lunchtime.

Most of the South Circular Road is closed from 9AM until about 2PM. The quays and a lot of the south inner city roads are inaccessible from 8AM until about 11AM. Even some approach roads to the road are closed off as required.

Your only option from Heuston early in the day is to cross at Watling Street bridge, but this will still only get you as far as Cornmarket/Cook Street or Francis Street. As this area is a makeshift bus terminus for many buses and what few cars that will be out it will be busy until about lunchtime.

The only part of the South Circular closed is the stretch between Rialto and Dolphins Barn, most of it is open all day.

Ushers Quay and some streets in the south inner city are closed between 8.45 and 10.30.

All routes from Heuston will be open until about 8.30, and re-open by about 11am.

You could get red LUAS to abbey street and green LUAS to Dawson Street or Stephen's Green.

What’s closest stop for green line? O’Connell upper?

What’s closest stop for green line? O’Connell upper?

You're going south, so the Marlborough street stop

The only part of the South Circular closed is the stretch between Rialto and Dolphins Barn, most of it is open all day.

Ushers Quay and some streets in the south inner city are closed between 8.45 and 10.30.

All routes from Heuston will be open until about 8.30 .

SCR is closed off from Kilmainham to Donore Avenue junction; the marathon comes up from Inchicore village. It’s usually gone from 9 until about 2PM. I happen to have lived in Dublin 8 for about 40 years so I am speaking from experience Traffic can get to and from Heuston onwards from 11ish but as I mentioned, towards Cook Street and Thomas Street will be chaotic with buses and general traffic until after lunchtime.

SCR is closed off from Kilmainham to Donore Avenue junction; the marathon comes up from Inchicore village. It’s usually gone from 9 until about 2PM.

From Kilmainham, yes, you're right, but to Dolphins Barn/Cork Street, not Donore Avenue.
    So less than half of the South Circular.

From Kilmainham, yes, you're right, but to Dolphins Barn/Cork Street, not Donore Avenue.
    So less than half of the South Circular.

Having lived in the area all my life I can assure you that the South Circular Road was closed off that far, and manned by Gards. Disbelieve me if you must, but there ya go :)

Having lived in the area all my life I can assure you that the South Circular Road was closed off that far, and manned by Gards. Disbelieve me if you must, but there ya go :)

In some places (such as Whitehall Road, when the route is Kimmage Road West) they have an early roadblock - to warn people that the through road is closed and send them on a diversion - but local access is possible.

• Advertisement
Advertisement