Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: should we votw on the real first language of the state
Yes 43 34.96%
No 80 65.04%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

07-10-2018, 02:36   #1
Jack Moore

The Irish language

Would you like to see a refferendum on the first language of this country
Advertisement
07-10-2018, 02:42   #2
Greyfox

Please go away. I like the Irish language even though Im Irish and only know 25 words, don't make me dislike my native language
07-10-2018, 02:50   #3
Filmer Paradise

No problem with the language myself. Anybody who wants to learn it is welcome to it & more power to them.

On the other hand I'm utterly disgusted by the way the language is thought in schools, the funding it sucks up, & the dogmatic nature of some of it's supporters.
07-10-2018, 03:04   #4
MOH

Always amazes me how many people complain about Irish being taught and suggest it should be dropped for English, while simultaneously failing at their professed preferred language
07-10-2018, 03:07   #5
Arghus

I love the Irish language and wish I could speak more of it. We should be proud of it.
Advertisement
07-10-2018, 03:20   #6
Edgarfrndly

I'm an Irish language speaker. It's not a difficult language to become comfortable with the basics, but the school curriculum will never help you build confidence. I picked it up just meeting up with a few people once a week in the pub, and a few trips out to the gaeltacht for a few pints. After a year, you'd be amazed at how much you pick up.

I think it's constitutional position is fine. I see both sides of the argument about its position in school. I don't think it should be required for universities, and I'm not really too pushed on it being mandatory for leaving cert.. although I think it should be at least up to junior cert, with a conversational class being taught for leaving cert that's optional and focuses solely on practicing it, immersing in it and building up confidence in using it.

I think some resentment from Irish comes from spending so much time on it without being able to speak it. I think if people could actually speak it, they'd have a more positive outlook on their education.

It's a nice language and I've met lots of really nice people through it. Learning it is a really good journey for any Irish person to make.
07-10-2018, 04:34   #7
RobertKK

There would be a revival in the language if there was more emphasis at teaching it as a spoken language rather than a written language.
07-10-2018, 04:43   #8
Greyfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arghus View Post
I love the Irish language and wish I could speak more of it. We should be proud of it.
But I'm not as im still p*ssed off with all the hours I spent learning it that were such a waste of time. French or German would be more beneficial. We need to stop teaching it from a textbook and actually speak the language, we need to change the way it's taught NOW
07-10-2018, 04:46   #9
Oranage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmer Paradise View Post
No problem with the language myself. Anybody who wants to learn it is welcome to it & more power to them.

On the other hand I'm utterly disgusted by the way the language is thought in schools, the funding it sucks up, & the dogmatic nature of some of it's supporters.
Is English taught any better?
Advertisement
07-10-2018, 05:35   #10
BeerWolf

Pft, good luck with that.
Thanks from:
07-10-2018, 06:15   #11
ceadaoin.

Quote:

It's mind boggling how kids can be "taught" a language for so long and still most of them emerge with only a few phrases, myself included. I studied french for way less time than that and can understand most stuff, am able to hold a conversation and get by on holiday without using English. Id even be more proficient in Spanish than irish and I only did that for junior cert. I mean, how is that even possible? How have they not realised that the teaching methods need an overhaul by this stage?

Last edited by ceadaoin.; 07-10-2018 at 06:20.
07-10-2018, 11:12   #12
Wibbs
Wibbed for your pleasure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
Please go away. I like the Irish language even though Im Irish and only know 25 words, don't make me dislike my native language
That's a large part of the problem G. For the vast majority of Irish people, it's no longer our native language. It's our ancestral language to varying degrees removed(e.g. a native born and bred in Donegal it could be native or a generation removed, to a native born and bred Dub it could be up to two centuries removed).

The extension to that problem has been and remains the assumption in schooling that it is our native language and we'll naturally just fall into knowing it. That's why folks like ceadaoin above(and many more of us) are more fluent in languages like French or Spanish, because they were treated like and taught as "foreign" languages from the get go.

In short; if you want more Irish speakers, treat and teach it like the "foreign" language it has become for the vast majority of Irish people.
07-10-2018, 12:10   #13
Yamanoto

Quote:
I'm utterly disgusted by the way the language is thought in schools
Me two
07-10-2018, 12:48   #14
misterbizmuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oranage2 View Post
Is English taught any better?
Well in fairness once the English lesson ends, the following lessons do continue to be taught also in English, be they history, maths, geography, or whatever. When your Irish lesson is over you don't hear a single word of Irish spoke again until the next day your teacher deems to do so.

In that sense kids are, whether they know it or not, continually learning English throughout the school day. They are also learning without consciously "being taught" by simply interacting with siblings, parents, neighbours, etc, when they go home in the evening.
Thanks from:
07-10-2018, 13:14   #15
TheDavester

rather the time would be spent on useful languages (or classes e.g. Coding) in the real world, ie Spanish/French/german/even Chinese

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion