Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Irish language

• 07-10-2018 2:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭

Would you like to see a refferendum on the first language of this country

should we votw on the real first language of the state 43 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 43 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Please go away. I like the Irish language even though Im Irish and only know 25 words, don't make me dislike my native language

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

No problem with the language myself. Anybody who wants to learn it is welcome to it & more power to them.

On the other hand I'm utterly disgusted by the way the language is thought in schools, the funding it sucks up, & the dogmatic nature of some of it's supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Always amazes me how many people complain about Irish being taught and suggest it should be dropped for English, while simultaneously failing at their professed preferred language

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I love the Irish language and wish I could speak more of it. We should be proud of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Edgarfrndly

I'm an Irish language speaker. It's not a difficult language to become comfortable with the basics, but the school curriculum will never help you build confidence. I picked it up just meeting up with a few people once a week in the pub, and a few trips out to the gaeltacht for a few pints. After a year, you'd be amazed at how much you pick up.

I think it's constitutional position is fine. I see both sides of the argument about its position in school. I don't think it should be required for universities, and I'm not really too pushed on it being mandatory for leaving cert.. although I think it should be at least up to junior cert, with a conversational class being taught for leaving cert that's optional and focuses solely on practicing it, immersing in it and building up confidence in using it.

I think some resentment from Irish comes from spending so much time on it without being able to speak it. I think if people could actually speak it, they'd have a more positive outlook on their education.

It's a nice language and I've met lots of really nice people through it. Learning it is a really good journey for any Irish person to make.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,727 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

There would be a revival in the language if there was more emphasis at teaching it as a spoken language rather than a written language.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Arghus wrote: »
    I love the Irish language and wish I could speak more of it. We should be proud of it.

But I'm not as im still p*ssed off with all the hours I spent learning it that were such a waste of time. French or German would be more beneficial. We need to stop teaching it from a textbook and actually speak the language, we need to change the way it's taught NOW

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

No problem with the language myself. Anybody who wants to learn it is welcome to it & more power to them.

On the other hand I'm utterly disgusted by the way the language is thought in schools, the funding it sucks up, & the dogmatic nature of some of it's supporters.

Is English taught any better?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Pft, good luck with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

It's mind boggling how kids can be "taught" a language for so long and still most of them emerge with only a few phrases, myself included. I studied french for way less time than that and can understand most stuff, am able to hold a conversation and get by on holiday without using English. Id even be more proficient in Spanish than irish and I only did that for junior cert. I mean, how is that even possible? How have they not realised that the teaching methods need an overhaul by this stage?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Greyfox wrote: »
    Please go away. I like the Irish language even though Im Irish and only know 25 words, don't make me dislike my native language
    That's a large part of the problem G. For the vast majority of Irish people, it's no longer our native language. It's our ancestral language to varying degrees removed(e.g. a native born and bred in Donegal it could be native or a generation removed, to a native born and bred Dub it could be up to two centuries removed).

The extension to that problem has been and remains the assumption in schooling that it is our native language and we'll naturally just fall into knowing it. That's why folks like ceadaoin above(and many more of us) are more fluent in languages like French or Spanish, because they were treated like and taught as "foreign" languages from the get go.

In short; if you want more Irish speakers, treat and teach it like the "foreign" language it has become for the vast majority of Irish people.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

I'm utterly disgusted by the way the language is thought in schools

Me two

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Is English taught any better?

Well in fairness once the English lesson ends, the following lessons do continue to be taught also in English, be they history, maths, geography, or whatever. When your Irish lesson is over you don't hear a single word of Irish spoke again until the next day your teacher deems to do so.

In that sense kids are, whether they know it or not, continually learning English throughout the school day. They are also learning without consciously "being taught" by simply interacting with siblings, parents, neighbours, etc, when they go home in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭TheDavester

rather the time would be spent on useful languages (or classes e.g. Coding) in the real world, ie Spanish/French/german/even Chinese

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

RobertKK wrote: »
    There would be a revival in the language if there was more emphasis at teaching it as a spoken language rather than a written language.

There would be a revival if people ACTUALLY wanted to speak it.
    They don't. They just like to profess their attachment to it whenever asked.

Languages are one of the most democratic things out there - if people want to speak them, they thrive. If people aren't bothered about them, they die.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,015 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Maybe, if only to stop people harping on it about an official langauge and therefore we should whatever whatever whatever whatever.

Ultimately, it's a lot like that religion/penis joke: ok to have, nice to be proud of, but you don;t want to go around waving it in people's faces to make yourself fell good.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,025 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Jack Moore wrote: »
    Would you like to see a refferendum on the first language of this country

Could have one on spelling in the other official one

rather the time would be spent on useful languages (or classes e.g. Coding) in the real world, ie Spanish/French/german/even Chinese

Ah look, that oul' lazy chestnut gets wheeled out fairly regularly.

Most people who go through secondary school learn a European language.

Fuck all practical use it ever is to them

Doesn't make learning it a waste of time though

And coding me hole. Waste of time unless you're going to work at something that needs it. Handy to have a rudimentary knowledge for some roles but otherwise it doesn't add a whole lot practically. It's still good to learn it though even if you don't use it. Same as the Irish language

• Registered Users Posts: 15,731 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Shenshen wrote: »
    There would be a revival if people ACTUALLY wanted to speak it.
    They don't. They just like to profess their attachment to it whenever asked.

Languages are one of the most democratic things out there - if people want to speak them, they thrive. If people aren't bothered about them, they die.

This. Totally.

A relatively small number of enthusiatic speakers and a few million hurlers on the ditch. Ah shur I'd love to speak it but I couldn't be bothered my arse. Someone else please do it for me?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I'm an Irish language speaker. It's not a difficult language to become comfortable with the basics, but the school curriculum will never help you build confidence. I picked it up just meeting up with a few people once a week in the pub, and a few trips out to the gaeltacht for a few pints. After a year, you'd be amazed at how much you pick up.

So Sean Gallagher should be practically fluent at this stage seeing as how he's been leaning it for the last seven years ?

https://www.rte.ie/news/presidential-election/2018/1005/1001202-election-bites/
    Fellow independent candidate Seán Gallagher said that the president should certainly be able to speak Irish to a degree.

He said he had taken "some" steps to learn Irish since his defeat in the 2011 election.

He said that if he was elected that he would commence a programme of "learn Irish with the president".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

The irish language is on life support.

Let me know when the government decide to pull the plug and let the language die a natural death and stop keeping it alive artificially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Ah look, that oul' lazy chestnut gets wheeled out fairly regularly.

Most people who go through secondary school learn a European language.

Fuck all practical use it ever is to them

Doesn't make learning it a waste of time though

And coding me hole. Waste of time unless you're going to work at something that needs it. Handy to have a rudimentary knowledge for some roles but otherwise it doesn't add a whole lot practically. It's still good to learn it though even if you don't use it. Same as the Irish language

At least people use computers

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Turbohymac

Like greyfox. I think for young people today German or French is far more beneficial..apart from large Grant's within a few small gaeltacht areas of Ireland. And hoping that by providing these grants the people living there will remain speaking irish..
    THE Irish language is fairly dead by now and instead of flogging a dead horse the language should be allowed to rest in peace and hopefully for a very long time. Absolute worst subject in school. Really pointless..after learning the subject through primary and secondary school I only learned German and French for 3 years and picked up much easier and I find that during my travels French and German are quite useful..on the other hand being fluent in irish would be like trying swimming with a lead balloon. RIP Irish language oh and I won't miss u either

At least people use computers

Different strokes for different folks as you well know, Hector me boyo!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,864 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The irish language is on life support.

About a billion euro a year's worth. Think of what we could usefully do with that money.

Life ain't always empty.

About a billion euro a year's worth. Think of what we could usefully do with that money.

Could buy another 30 Thornton Halls for that for feck sake.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

What I think I will never understand is how there hasn't been some sort of mass fury at the special interests brigade who have been given handouts for generations at the expense of the language itself such that we are now in a position where it is culturally irrelevant for most of the country.

Like, I went to see Black '47 yesterday. Cracking film and, even better, much of it was in Irish and yet I still needed the subtitles. How on earth can Poles and other Europeans turn up to Ireland perfectly fluent in English and their own language (often with another one or two in there to boot) and the Irish don't seem to bat an eyelid as long as signs have an Irish translation on them? We study the language using a broken curriculum taught by inept teachers for over a decade and it is compulsory and this is acceptable. Worse, it's going to be forced on future generations of Irish children.

Is this not an important part of our heritage? Is it not worth actually saving instead of just continuing along the same road to nowhere?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

When I was in primary school, right up until 6th class I remember that when the teachers wanted to talk to each other in front of the students they would talk in Irish. These teachers who had spent 8 years "teaching" us this language were 100% confident that they could speak to each other in front of a whole class and know we wouldn't understand them. It just goes to show the level of bull**** charade they whole system is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

How is it taught in schools?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Cato the Elder

This. Totally.

A relatively small number of enthusiatic speakers and a few million hurlers on the ditch. Ah shur I'd love to speak it but I couldn't be bothered my arse. Someone else please do it for me?

How? If you want to learn Spanish, you can go study it taught with modern methods. Same with any other language.
    Even if I wanted to, in what class could I have other learners to practice conversations with, the way it should be done?

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage must be destroyed.

Advertisement