Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

06-10-2018, 23:31   #1
Pappa Dolla

The left this, the right that..

Left:
Equality among sexes
Recognising different genders exist
Social healthcare
Separating religion from government
Treating people equally
Environmental concerns

Right:
Business, markets, capitalism are most important
Money, if you don't have it, tough.
Conserving the status quo eg, no expansion for different genders, against gay marriage
Insularism (putting borders up, "looking after our own first")
Private healthcare, if you can afford it, you can have healthcare, its business.
No environmental concerns (it's all baloney - there's money to be made, now)
Keeping religion central to education, health, the system.

Boards has become frighteningly right wing these days. I dunno when that happened, but most of the time I can't be bothered to reply on a thread as I'll be drowned out.

I know for a fact that boards is not reflective of society as a whole (thank God!) but its a good time as any, to say, why are you freaked out by the left?

From my perspective, the left (while not perfect by any means) want society to become more inclusive, and try and focus on the individual being able to be an individual, while the right tends to generally care about money and possessions first, not wanting other people to recognise their own individuality, whether that be not recognising gender spectrum, or gay marriage for instance. They want to keep women down (the lambasting the #metoo movement is especially bizarre, as we all know women who've been harassed at one time or another)

So, what's the attraction to the right? What do you get out of it? What am I missing?
Advertisement
06-10-2018, 23:39   #2
Danjamin1

Depends in what context you’re asking the question. Do you mean strictly politically, and if so are you talking Irish politics, English politics, American politics? Or are you asking what people’s social principles are? I think the majority of Irish people would be middle of the road. There’s a middle ground between the polar positions you’ve outlined where most people with no vested interests will sit.
06-10-2018, 23:42   #3
Gimme A Pound

But there are people who question hardline feminism yet do not want to keep women down.

There are feminists who hate trans people.

There are people with right-wing views who are atheists.

You are just presenting two polarised boxes whereas the reality is of a huge amount of cross fertilisation.

In general I am more to the right economically (but that doesn't mean I disagree with state supports - I completely agree with them) and more to the left socially - but I don't accept there are more than two genders, and while I loathe misogyny and adore feminists of old, I detest today's feminism.

I'm not anti immigration but it has to be limited.

I think there is too much abdication of personal responsibility and people need to look mostly to themselves for help (mostly; nothing wrong with asking for a helping hand).

Last edited by Gimme A Pound; 06-10-2018 at 23:48.
(100) thanks from:
1800_Ladladlad, 2 Scoops, 2_fri, Accumulator, Aisling(",), Arne_Saknussem, Arrival, Atoms for Peace, backspin., BeerWolf, blanch152, Bobjims, boundlessSea, Campogna, Carpo II, Chris_Heilong, Church on Tuesday, Cookie_Monster, DanDan6592, DChancer, DebDynamite, deceit, Deise Vu, deodub, derfderf, dexter_morgan, Diceicle, DoctorEdgeWild, DrPhilG, Dude89, El Tarangu, Eoin, eurokev, Flex, For Forks Sake, FoxyVixen, FreshCoffee, Fr_Dougal, fullstop, Gannicus, Giveaway, Gloomtastic!, gwalk, HalloweenJack, hot buttered scones, Hulk Hands, inforfun, Inviere, JMNolan, Juanito13, Kingp35, LincolnHawk, Mantis Toboggan, Maryanne84, mcmoustache, Mo14, Mrs Gilhooley, mrwhimwham, Murray TheDemonic TalkingSkull, naughtb4, o1s1n, Outlaw Pete, Padkir, Pero_Bueno, pickarooney, Pintman Paddy Losty, professore, Pter, py2006, Pyr0, RDM_83 again, robman60, rosser44, Rothko, Señor Santa Pants, selectamatic, SevenAte9, skooterblue2, Sky King, Spleerbun, storker, Sudden Valley, Sugar Free, Tabnabs, TaosHum, The Pheasant2, TheDavester, TheMilkyPirate, the_pen_turner, Trumpett, VG31, weemcd, westernfrenzy, wexie, Whatsisname, Will I Am Not, Wojtek the Bear, yermandan, Zorya, Zulu
06-10-2018, 23:45   #4
Pappa Dolla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjamin1 View Post
Depends in what context you’re asking the question. Do you mean strictly politically, and if so are you talking Irish politics, English politics, American politics? Or are you asking what people’s social principles are? I think the majority of Irish people would be middle of the road. There’s a middle ground between the polar positions you’ve outlined where most people with no vested interests will sit.
I think its an "internet left wing/right wing" as opposed traditional national politics.
06-10-2018, 23:50   #5
CinemaGuy45

Right Wing we have money and we don't want to share.

The left we have nothing and we want to share.

Advertisement
06-10-2018, 23:51   #6
Pappa Dolla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme A Pound View Post
But there are people who question hardline feminism yet do not want to keep women down.

There are feminists who hate trans people.

There are people with right-wing views who are atheists.

You are just presenting two polarised boxes whereas the reality is of a huge amount of cross fertilisation.

In general I am more to the right economically (but that doesn't mean I disagree with state supports - I completely agree with them) and more to the left socially - but I don't accept there are more than two genders, and while I loathe misogyny and adore feminists of old, I detest today's feminism.
See, I'm not a fan of feminism of old, but I am a fan of modern feminism.

There's many different branches of feminism today and to me, to say you liked feminism of old, but detest today's feminism sounds like, I like the Beatles, but I can't detest literally all music brought out today.

Why do you not accept there are more than two genders btw? In what quantifiable, meaningful manner would accepting that, affect your life in anyway?
(3) thanks from:
06-10-2018, 23:52   #7
Pappa Dolla

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinemaGuy45 View Post
Right Wing we have money and we don't want to share.

The left we have nothing and we want to share.

How do you explain wealthy lefties and poor right wingers so?
06-10-2018, 23:53   #8
Mrs Gilhooley

I thought the OP was going to be about how ridiculous it is in this country to categorize anyone as right or left as in reality most people are a mix of both.

But it's just another one of those posts that places anyone having an opinion which differs to something Paul Murphy would endorse as being a rabid right winger.

Life is a bit more nuanced than that mate.
(80) thanks from:
aaronjumper, ahnowbrowncow, alchemist33, Arne_Saknussem, ArrBee, Arrival, BeerWolf, benjamin d, Bobjims, boundlessSea, Campogna, CrabRevolution, Danjamin1, DebDynamite, derfderf, dexter_morgan, Diceicle, dotsman, El Tarangu, eurokev, Flex, For Forks Sake, FreshCoffee, Fr_Dougal, fullstop, Gimme A Pound, gman127, Hulk Hands, jackofalltrades, jmayo, JMNolan, Kingp35, Knex., Koloman, Lackey, leonffrench, LincolnHawk, Maryanne84, mcmoustache, meeeeh, Metroid diorteM, Murray TheDemonic TalkingSkull, NewbridgeIR, OneEightSeven, Outlaw Pete, Padraig Mor, Peatys, pickarooney, PMC999, q2ice, RDM_83 again, robman60, Rothko, Sarn, selectamatic, SevenAte9, Silentcorner, Skullface McGubbin, Sky King, snoopsheep, Spleerbun, SSr0, storker, stratowide, Sudden Valley, Sugar Free, Tabnabs, TaosHum, The Pheasant2, TheDavester, TheMilkyPirate, the_pen_turner, VG31, Virgil°, Wibbs, Widdershins, Will I Am Not, Wojtek the Bear, yermandan, Zorya
06-10-2018, 23:55   #9
Pappa Dolla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Gilhooley View Post
I thought the OP was going to be about how ridiculous it is in this country to categorize anyone as right or left as in reality most people are a mix of both.

But it's just another one of those posts that places anyone having an opinion which differs to something Paul Murphy would endorse as being a rabid right winger.

Life is a bit more nuanced than that mate.
That's ridiculous. Its an internet wide thing, not just little old Ireland.

But well done on helping me see what people are attracted to on the right. Bravo with your snidey post.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
06-10-2018, 23:56   #10
Vincent Vega

I honestly have my doubts about many who spout off right wing ideas, and parrot american political catchphrases and whether or not they truly believe in them.

I generally feel like a lot of it is rooted in a sort of cynical 4chanesque trolling of others that they view as oversensitive and overcaring, and rarely anything to do with actual beliefs.

There is a pleasure derived from seeing other people offended and riled up and as much as some of it annoys me, I try to keep it in mind and not take the bait.
06-10-2018, 23:57   #11
meeeeh

But it's not about society becoming more inclusive, it's two sides hurling insults at each other without even wanting to hear other sides argument. When insults like feminazi are thrown around, when anyone in anyway critical of liberal all accepting viewpoint tries to be silenced you know the world is going to hell. And those on left are just as responsible as those on the right.
06-10-2018, 23:57   #12
Gimme A Pound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappa Dolla View Post
That's ridiculous. Its an internet wide thing, not just little old Ireland.

But well done on helping me see what people are attracted to on the right. Bravo with your snidey post.
You're being snide too - getting snarky with me for disliking feminism of today. I find it way too polarising and man-hating and depicting of women as victims.

I don't agree that there are any more genders than male and female - this is my opinion.

"In what quantifiable, meaningful manner would accepting that, affect your life in anyway?" It would mean pretending to agree with something I disagree with. Why does it bother you that I have different opinions?
06-10-2018, 23:59   #13
Gimme A Pound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Vega View Post
I honestly have my doubts about many who spout off right wing ideas, and parrot american political catchphrases and whether or not they truly believe in them.

I generally feel like a lot of it is rooted in a sort of cynical 4chanesque trolling of others that they view as oversensitive and overcaring, and rarely anything to do with actual beliefs.

There is a pleasure derived from seeing other people offended and riled up and as much as some of it annoys me, I try to keep it in mind and not take the bait.
I agree there, but only in relation to the very nasty right-wing stuff. E.g. having a problem with feminism today is not just the preserve of woman-haters.
Thanks from:
07-10-2018, 00:00   #14
Patww79

Left - snowflake.
Right - not.
(3) thanks from:
07-10-2018, 00:00   #15
Yer Da sells Avon

Politics aside, I think there are some people on here - far more than most other places on the internet - who constantly feel compelled to express the harshest and most uncharitable opinion possible, whatever the topic. It's almost as if they see being 'nice' as being indicative of weakness, of being a 'cuck' or a 'soy boy' (just two terms I've seen being used, without a hint of self-awareness, on this very website). I've no idea whether the cure is lots of hugs or a good kick in the bollocks.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion