Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
30-09-2018, 13:29   #1
DoozerT6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,949
Lessons from 'The Beast': What will you be stocking up on this winter?

So autumn is here and there are rumours of harsh weather a-coming. Now whether that comes to pass or not, especially predicted so far in advance, we'll just have to wait and see. But I'm guessing that some of us will have learned the hard way that they should have stocked up on X item during the snow back in March. So what do you regret not buying more of back then? What will you be stocking up on bit by bit this autumn/winter before any harsh weather hits?

Apart from the obvious food items, I'll be making sure I have spare lightbulbs, batteries for the torch, and matches for the candles. A little winter bag for the boot of the car (hi-vis jacket, blanket, packet of biscuits, water) to go with the emergency kit I bought in Halfords last winter. Refill the fuel container that I keep in the boot.

What else...toilet paper. I need new gloves and a hat too, now that I think of it.

What about you? What do you regret not stocking up on during the snow?
DoozerT6 is offline  
Advertisement
30-09-2018, 13:29   #2
rebeve
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Peoples Republic Of Cork
Posts: 744
Bread !!
rebeve is offline  
30-09-2018, 13:59   #3
Graces7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: In God's pocket
Posts: 18,212
As I live far from shops etc... When we had the power cuts ( was it Ali?) I only scored 5/10 for preparedness.. Shameful as I spent five months last winter without electricity and should have known better.

My failures were matches, lighters, a working torch and a battery radio; no batteries ... have set that right now.

I have been stocking for winter for months.... would hate to be a bad islander and have to ask supplies... pasta, rice, flour ., yeast, sugar, tins of all kinds,,, and not forgetting cat and dog food . Now I have a good supply of home grown potatoes.... focussing more on ingredients. Peanut butter, coffee, tea,, Turf and can get more here if need be . chocolate of course..

always have a spare gas bottle....

Snow will not affect ferries but roads at both ends... Happy now whatever the weather throws. we missed out in March this time..

Used last winter's stocks this summer...
Graces7 is offline  
30-09-2018, 15:15   #4
Graces7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: In God's pocket
Posts: 18,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoozerT6 View Post
So autumn is here and there are rumours of harsh weather a-coming. Now whether that comes to pass or not, especially predicted so far in advance, we'll just have to wait and see. But I'm guessing that some of us will have learned the hard way that they should have stocked up on X item during the snow back in March. So what do you regret not buying more of back then? What will you be stocking up on bit by bit this autumn/winter before any harsh weather hits?

Apart from the obvious food items, I'll be making sure I have spare lightbulbs, batteries for the torch, and matches for the candles. A little winter bag for the boot of the car (hi-vis jacket, blanket, packet of biscuits, water) to go with the emergency kit I bought in Halfords last winter. Refill the fuel container that I keep in the boot.

What else...toilet paper. I need new gloves and a hat too, now that I think of it.

What about you? What do you regret not stocking up on during the snow?

Ah I knit lovely warm cabled traditional hats... also in team colours! every cent to charity too...
Graces7 is offline  
30-09-2018, 15:18   #5
iamwhoiam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,779
Cat litter ! The blessed cat would not go out in deep snow and crossed his legs and looked disgustingly at the newspaper . ! Eventually we put shredded paper down and he performed but I will definitely store a bag of cat litter
iamwhoiam is offline  
Advertisement
30-09-2018, 15:33   #6
Lucreto
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Naas
Posts: 863
I am not doing any extra planning this year. February was a once off and I am expecting it to be mild this year just out of pure pessimism.

I bought a snow shovel in 2010 and only got its first use this year. I expecting the same to happen again.

I might get an extra bag of coal and logs depending on what the charts say.
Lucreto is offline  
(4) thanks from:
30-09-2018, 16:20   #7
ZX7R
Registered User
 
ZX7R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: kildare
Posts: 966
I am always prepared for winter no matter what long range forcasts say.
Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
ZX7R is offline  
(5) thanks from:
30-09-2018, 16:50   #8
DoozerT6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamwhoiam View Post
Cat litter ! The blessed cat would not go out in deep snow and crossed his legs and looked disgustingly at the newspaper . ! Eventually we put shredded paper down and he performed but I will definitely store a bag of cat litter
This is the sort of thing I mean, lol! Things you may not have ever thought of, but once you run out, you realise, 'damn! Why didn't I think of buying that'.
DoozerT6 is offline  
Thanks from:
30-09-2018, 16:51   #9
DoozerT6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX7R View Post
I am always prepared for winter no matter what long range forcasts say.
Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
A good strategy. I mean, we're hardly likely to get Canadian or Scandinavian-level winters, but still. No harm in having extra toilet paper and canned goods etc under the stairs.
DoozerT6 is offline  
Advertisement
30-09-2018, 16:56   #10
ZX7R
Registered User
 
ZX7R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: kildare
Posts: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoozerT6 View Post
A good strategy. I mean, we're hardly likely to get Canadian or Scandinavian-level winters, but still. No harm in having extra toilet paper and canned goods etc under the stairs.
Sure is, everything can be used at a later date food wise,fuel ect can roll over till following winter
ZX7R is offline  
30-09-2018, 17:47   #11
Victor Meldrew
Registered User
 
Victor Meldrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Dublin
Posts: 759
Have made sure I'm not the only person in the gaff with hiking boots/wellies. Being the only one who could venture out to attend to the kids got old quick.....
Victor Meldrew is offline  
30-09-2018, 17:52   #12
wexie
Registered User
 
wexie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Wexieford
Posts: 7,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoozerT6 View Post
I mean, we're hardly likely to get Canadian or Scandinavian-level winters, but still.
I'd be delighted if we did. If the climate were to change like that it would also stop being an issue. It'd just be winter.

(oh and water containers, our well froze and we didn't have anything to store water in when it was working. Defrosting a pan of ice on the stove takes a long time and gives surprisingly little water. So I've started keeping the 5 liter water bottles we use when we're camping)
wexie is offline  
(2) thanks from:
30-09-2018, 17:57   #13
harr
Registered User
 
harr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew View Post
Have made sure I'm not the only person in the gaff with hiking boots/wellies. Being the only one who could venture out to attend to the kids got old quick.....
That’s a very good point, I was the only person with good winter boots and water proofs last winter which meant I was sent out to deal with kids, clear the car or walk to the shops..
harr is offline  
Thanks from:
01-10-2018, 08:39   #14
Tipperary animal lover
Registered User
 
Tipperary animal lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Premier county
Posts: 1,017
A camping stove and gas canisters, really helped this year when the electric was out, a few of the neighbour's came calling for hot water was pleased to help, always batch cook and fill the freezer, dinner in no time and candles candles candles and a few good books and dreamies for the cats ...
Tipperary animal lover is offline  
(3) thanks from:
01-10-2018, 08:48   #15
Wanderer78
Registered User
 
Wanderer78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 10,642
Not much preparation here, was all good last winter, might get a little grit for the driveway
Wanderer78 is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet