Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

14-09-2018, 17:04   #1
bemak

Flat Satellite Dish?

After Virgin recently reduced the amount of analogue channels available I'm looking for a setup that will give me the saorview channels as well as the free UK ones such as BBC, ITV & C4 etc etc. 

Looking at the Freetv.ie website and I like the look of the Edison Os Nino box as it's Linux based and as such will have the 7-day EPG and ability to record/pause live tv. 

With regards a dish then, I'd prefer to go for a flat option as I don't like the look of a big dirty satellite on the side of the house. If I go for a flat dish, am I limited in what I can receive? It was my understanding that the wider the dish the greater the amount of channels you can potentially receive?

Also, does anyone have a setup that works from inside the attic? I wouldn't care what kind of dish I got then (once it was able to fit through the access hatch). 

Any advice appreciated. Again, not dead set on the Edison box either, just seemed like a decent one. I'm open to better suggestions.
Advertisement
14-09-2018, 17:31   #2
sugarman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemak View Post
After Virgin recently reduced the amount of analogue channels available I'm looking for a setup that will give me the saorview channels as well as the free UK ones such as BBC, ITV & C4 etc etc. 

Looking at the Freetv.ie website and I like the look of the Edison Os Nino box as it's Linux based and as such will have the 7-day EPG and ability to record/pause live tv. 

With regards a dish then, I'd prefer to go for a flat option as I don't like the look of a big dirty satellite on the side of the house. If I go for a flat dish, am I limited in what I can receive? It was my understanding that the wider the dish the greater the amount of channels you can potentially receive?

Also, does anyone have a setup that works from inside the attic? I wouldn't care what kind of dish I got then (once it was able to fit through the access hatch).

Any advice appreciated. Again, not dead set on the Edison box either, just seemed like a decent one. I'm open to better suggestions.
Dish has to be outdoors, it needs a clear line of sight with the satellite. This includes clearing any trees/branches/leafs never mind a building / roof blocking it. As for the flat dish, depends where you are in the country as to how well it'll work. A bigger dish wont give you anymore channels as such but it'll give you a much stronger reception.

For Saorview you'll probably get away with the antenna inside the attic, depending where you are / how far away you are from your nearest transmitter. You can check here to get a rough idea.

Edision boxes are great quality, but if you want to record you'll need a box with twin S2 tuners..and if you want soarview as you do, you'll need a combo box with an T2 tuner too. So a triple tuner device.

Id recommend maybe getting the OS mini (Twin S2 Tuner) and adding a USB DVB-T2 to make it a triple tuner.
Thanks from:
14-09-2018, 17:36   #3
bemak

Thanks a mil! Based in Kilcock so should be ok for signal
16-09-2018, 13:22   #4
Capt'n Midnight
00:00

Flat dishes still have to be pointed East-West at the satellite.

And unless they are designed for this far North you'll still have to tilt it up/down too.

So it will still look like an antenna with the brackets and stuff.
18-09-2018, 09:16   #5
bemak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt'n Midnight View Post
Flat dishes still have to be pointed East-West at the satellite.

And unless they are designed for this far North you'll still have to tilt it up/down too.

So it will still look like an antenna with the brackets and stuff.
very true.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion