Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Christmas Debate - #1 Sweets

• 10-09-2018 8:09am
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Happy Monday everyone!

So here we are it's time for the great Christmas debate, it's coming up to mid-September the mornings and evenings are getting darker, the temp is dropping the season is almost beginning and what a better way to start it than an good old fashioned Christmas argument Debate :pac:

So your options are;

Roses - A stable Irish tradition, but have these sweets glory days pass them by?

serveimage_49516_0.jpg

Quality Street - Another Staple in the Traditionalist cabinet, the UK equivalent of roses and still seem to be going strong.

quality-street-tub.jpeg

Celebrations - Mars miniature venture, proving so popular it's spanned several spin offs.

celebrations-750g-tub-new-art_lr_web.png&width=200

Miniature Heroes - Cadbury's version of Celebrations, Miniature versions of some of their best creations.

HAN38493.jpg

Other - Is your favourites not one of the 4 above? Pick Other and post and tell us what your favourite is.

The Rules...

The only rule is as well as voting in the poll you need to post to explain why you picked your choice for your vote to count.

The Poll will end on Sunday night and the winner will be revealed next Monday Morning :)

What are your favourite Sweets to have at Christmas? 102 votes

Roses
    0%
    Quality Street
    21%
    amenGaspodeRebelButtMunchr3nu4lbeertonsirelandrovermessrssplashthecashMax MomentAMCCORKDecodaIcsicsCurlysue76marieholmfanBuford T. Justice XIXciara007aj8915YemenRoadAnne_cordeliageminiman63 22 votes
    Celebrations
    29%
    big sykewashiskinPosyDvBtoutsSundewladyellanewmemCork Lassdjsim101jellybearForestFireLoughcLoopylilcarfiosaoorlLishaOsbornenedgormFlippyfloppyCarrie6OD 30 votes
    Miniature Heroes
    23%
    carrotcakeZaphomb0wyn5ehpij9FlexKablamo!ronan.hSnoddyunknownlegendoleary91nhgPlanemokiddykatDoyler99nickynoofreshpopcorn[Deleted User]SixtoesILikeBoatspleas adviceflos1964 24 votes
    Other
    25%
    BrookieDBagglymiameedori_dormerDavyD_83kitten_kRentDayBluesJennyAntjudeboy101maximo31amber2mojesiusJude13Ha Long BayTG1afro manangel eyes 2012SusieBluedonegal_manelfy4eva 26 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Other
    Missing a poll, methinks?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Celebrations
    Pter wrote: »
    Missing a poll, methinks?

There now, I was still working on it when you posted :)

Other
    I retract my busy body question so :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Celebrations
    I'll kick off, I'm voting for Quality Street, I feel like there's a few reasons why, the selection of different toffees, caramels, and soft filled chocolates works, they are very traditional, I still remember the big cardboard 1kg boxes they used to come in and they haven't decreased in quality like Roses have over the years.

The fact they still sell tins really warms me to them as well.

Other
    Ok so ive placed my vote. And it was for Heroes. Please allow me to explain my reasoning;

-Flavour - Solid chocolate flavour, other secondary flavours also very good. No issues here. No bland flavours that would leave leftovers (such as half the QS, half the roses and the Mars & Bounties in the Celebrations

-Origin - I dont really care about where they came from or if they are 'Irish' (and i suspect none of these are really Irish anyway), so this is on par across all 4 options.

-Historical significance - see above. Live in the now, not 20 years ago.

-Size (of individual sweet) - I would suspect heroes have the joint largest sweet size on average across the 4 options. Possibly rivaled by Celebrations.

-Size (of 'tin' / plastic bucket) - Not too much, not too little for me. Lasts Christmas Day in our house anyway (suspect this might change this year as smallies are a little less small and a little more aggressive in finding chocolate around the house).

-Availability - No issue here, stocked in all major retailers, has the benefit of Cadburys distribution network behind it.

-Consistency - No issue here, have never had an issue with OOD or whitened chocolate.

-Variety - 7 sweets matches Celebrations and (i think) QS. Not sure about Roses, but i dont like most of the variants in Roses anyway. Love the options within Heroes anyway. Some of my top bars in there.

-Lack of duds - Personally i prefer toffees to fudges, so the presence of the fudge is offset by the presence of the Eclair. Fewest duds of any of the 4, imo.

-Presence and abundance of toffee sweet - Choc eclair is the superior toffee sweet across all options, imo.

• Advertisement

Other
    Loughc wrote: »
    I'll kick off, I'm voting for Quality Street, I feel like there's a few reasons why, the selection of different toffees, caramels, and soft filled chocolates works, they are very traditional, I still remember the big cardboard 1kg boxes they used to come in and they haven't decreased in quality like Roses have over the years.

The fact they still sell tins really warms me to them as well.

Yeah the metal tin has a good nostalgia factor, but its ruining the environment :D

Celebrations
    Yeah the metal tin has a good nostalgia factor, but its ruining the environment :D

The plastic tubs can't be great for the environment either :pac:

Bring back the old 1kg Cardboard boxes, cardboard is recyclable and its 1kg haha.

Other
    Loughc wrote: »
    The plastic tubs can't be great for the environment either :pac:

Bring back the old 1kg Cardboard boxes, cardboard is recyclable and its 1kg haha.

Cardboard is the way to go for sure. Lower environmental impact to get oil than it is metal though; and easier to reuse as well! :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Other
    I concur with Miniature Heroes. I do enjoy all of them but the Roses (to me) are pure sugar now and don't taste the same as they used to. Quality Street are good but a few duds whereas Heroes are all good, I wouldn't mind doing a blind hand dip into the box because I'd be happy with whatever came out, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭mojesius

Other
    They tend to overload boxes of roses and quality street with minging coffee/orange or strawberry cream sweets so they're out for me.

I like celebrations but the chocolate itself is fairly sickening. I'd have to go with miniature heroes myself. Love munching through the eclairs. Actually a whole miniature heroes sized box of eclairs would be perfect!!

• Advertisement

Celebrations
    Oh god the coffee roses sweets... horrible. Another reason roses have gone to the dogs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Miniature Heroes
    Celebrations for me, even though I'm alergic to Snickers, and I love the chocolate eclair in the Heros, or the blue quality street, just the variety of 'good' sweets beats any other tin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭washiskin

Celebrations
    Roses have not crossed the step of this door since they switched to plastic, destroyed the Hazelnut Whirl and got rid of the twist wrappers. They can feic off, so they can! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I chose Other.

I’m not a fan of any of the other options. I’d eat a Celebration or two at a push but I hate the rest of them. I’m very particular about chocolate though and we’d never buy a box of chocolates that big. My Christmas pick would be After Eights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Other
    Ok so ive placed my vote. And it was for Heroes. Please allow me to explain my reasoning;

-Lack of duds - Personally i prefer toffees to fudges, so the presence of the fudge is offset by the presence of the Eclair. Fewest duds of any of the 4, imo.

Agreed, if I was eating a box of any of the above on my own, heroes is the only one I'd finish, so it's gotta win really.
    Roses and QS have nostalgia factor, but I think we've all realised they're not actually that nice.
    Celebrations, not too shabby, but bounty being in there taints the whole thing for me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Other
    Another vote here for Hereos for basically the same reasons - I eat them all! there isn't any one particular sweet in it that everyone avoids!

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭LordBasil

Miniature Heroes
    Celebrations - No waste - I love Bounty!! and the Malteaser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Celebrations
    Quality street for me. Good weight for the price. Love the tins factor though agree they should all be cardboard these days.

Roses are completely horrid nowadays and we end up dumping half the box if given any. Similarly with celebrations no one here eats snickers so there’s always a ton at the bottom. Honestly never bought heroes so can’t really comment.

Will give a second thumbs up for after 8’s too but hey never last more than an hour in our house so are really a one off treat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭ Emanuel Cold Lasso

Miniature Heroes
    I’m a massive Cadbury’s fan in general, but Celebrations would be my choice for the Christmas box of chocolates (apart from the bounty....horrible!). We usually end up with 2 or 3 boxes of chocolates so I have plenty of choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Cork2015!

Other
    My vote is for heroes

Main reason is because it is the only tin where i like every one of the sweets.

My favourite sweet over all is from the roses tin (strawberry/orange cream) but because I dont like many others from the selection means that i can't vote for roses

Heroes all the way :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,033 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Celebrations
    Another vote for Quality Street here.
    Reasons pretty much already well outlined by others, simply a better variety of sweet, fond of a caramel/toffee myself so the mix is great. Toffee coin & the chocolate coated toffee stick being 2 favourites. The only thing is the fact the newer tubs are so small, we end up getting a few of them in the run up (under the falsehood we'll need them as presents mostly) when I'd much prefer to simply pay more for one big massive tin/tub of the things. Far more retro!!

Interesting how others dont rate the coffee flavoured roses... for me its the one thing along with the caramel that the roses have going for them. Love coffee flavoured anything! Roses have too many gooey sweets (Strawberry & orange being the very last anyone in our family will touch) so we try to avoid unless we're gifted one...

Celebrations are alright with a cup of tea, fond of the bounty but theres something about them I'm not mad about, screams of 'meh'.

Heroes, are simply too sweet, that probably makes no sense but theres something about the chocolate on them I find too lucious, I'd have one, two tops, but probably leave it at that, but with the QS I'll much away if left uninterrupted.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭jellybear

Celebrations
    I've voted for Quality Street. Absolutely love the strawberry, orange and green triangle...as well as the coconut...oh and the fudge... Think that shows why I've voted- I love pretty much all of them!! Hubby loves the toffee penny and the toffee finger so they're the perfect tin of chocolates for us :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Celebrations
    I've voted for Quality Street. Roses have gone downhill in recent years - the nail in the Roses tin was when they changed the wrappers so now you get less sweets in a tin! Quality Street are still quality - love them!

I was nearly going to vote for "other" as in recent years, I've developed notions (:P) and am in love with the Lindt balls. They are beyond amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,033 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Celebrations
    CheerLouth wrote: »
    I was nearly going to vote for "other" as in recent years, I've developed notions (:P) and am in love with the Lindt balls. They are beyond amazing!

My Mrs loves the Lindor balls (red ones, followed by the dark & orange ones) they've easily become her favourite.

The dark choc ones are a tad special I must admit (much prefer dark chocolate to milk chocolate)
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Other
    If this is a proportionate representation vote ill give my #2 to the Lindt balls.

Celebrations
    CheerLouth wrote: »
    I've voted for Quality Street. Roses have gone downhill in recent years - the nail in the Roses tin was when they changed the wrappers so now you get less sweets in a tin! Quality Street are still quality - love them!

Oh my god, the Lindt balls... they're amazing... by far superior chocolate!

If they got in on the gimmick of Christmas packaging/tubs I would have no need to buy any other tubs.

Other
    lindt_chooclates_1012_1.jpg

Celebrations
    lindt_chooclates_1012_1.jpg

Available in Ireland? :eek:

Other
    Im sure we could order in a container of them between us all and resell them to the major retailers.

Lindt + Tins + ?????= Profit.

• Advertisement

Celebrations
    Im sure we could order in a container of them between us all and resell them to the major retailers.

Lindt + Tins + ?????= Profit.

Lindt + Tins - Eating = Losses :pac:

Advertisement