Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

05-09-2018, 20:18   #1
John from Carlow

Abolish the Dole

I believe the Irish government should cut social welfare payments drastically and implement a food stamp program similar to the one currently running in the USA. This would allow the government to free up cash to reduce borrowing and reduce the tax burden on the middle classes. It sickens me that people like Margaret Cash have the money for Sky digital subscriptions, shopping trips to Newry and computers with internet connections to post their drivel on Facebook. It has got to the stage were these people genuinely believe they deserve a reasonable middle-ish class lifestyle at the expense of the state. This may seem harsh to some but it is only fair that people that don't work live in abject poverty and are subjected to all the ills that such a lifestyle predisposes them to. I feel genuine rage that I am paying for other people's way through life; it makes me feel genuinely ill. At the moment the only viable alternative is to move to the US, a country where hard work is rewarded and the likes of Margaret Cash are left were they belong - in the gutter.
(109) thanks from:
12gauge dave, Arrival, arse..biscuits, ArtyC, beertons, BobMc, BrianBoru00, Cartrader, Cee-Jay-Cee, cherryghost, ChikiChiki, Chinasea, cichlid child, CruelCoin, Cyclonius, D Trent, DaithiMa, darconio, DebDynamite, Deviso, dexter_morgan, dinnybyrne, domrush, Doylers, Dublin Spur, duffysfarm, ELM327, Emmersonn, Filmer Paradise, Gavin "shels", Gazzmonkey, gerrybbadd, Glenalla, Gorgeousgeorge, greenfield21, gwalk, Hector Savage, hellyeah, Homer, how.gareth, howamidifferent, Idbatterim, incentsitive, JCX BXC, JDxtra, jimboblep, Johnnyhpipe, js35, Juanito13, kennypowers, Kevin Finnerty, Kivaro, Klonker, leonffrench, Lusocu, Lyndsey3000, Mahogany Gaspipe, Mantis Toboggan, marknjb, MD1983, Mo14, mooman, Morpork, mtoutlemonde, Muzzer29, Neil Issagum, NoviGlitzko, og2k7, patsfan1286, Pidae.m, PistolsAtDawn, PlaneSpeeking, podge3, Poor_old_gill, Potential-Monke, Rennaws, road_high, rosser44, s3ndnudes, Samsgirl, SAMTALK, SaraKJohn, Schindlers Pissed, Sharknose, Shoesdayschild, somesoldiers, Stoner, Suarezistheman, sullivk, Sull_M, sunshinew, Sweet.Science, telekon, tglynn, The high horse brigade, The Pheasant2, The Premier Man, TheBully, thecretinhop, TheDavester, thefloss, thegrowreport, thesultan, Trumpett, Turbohymac, Vote4Napoleon, weldoninhio, Wheeliebin30, White Clover
Advertisement
05-09-2018, 20:20   #2
Eod100

Maybe thanks your rage and direct it at multinationals avoiding paying millions in tax every year. Easier to kick down though I guess
05-09-2018, 20:23   #4
Gonad

You know that type of thinking is exactly what the elite want you to think . Blame Margaret Cash for all the problems in the country . I actually thought it was strange the amount of publicity her plight was given and when you see posts like yours it’s obvious why they allowed her so much airtime.

But they wouldn’t actually give the many many genuine homeless people that kind of publicity.

Job done by them I guess .
05-09-2018, 20:27   #5
mikemac2

Quote:
Originally Posted by John from Carlow View Post
I believe the Irish government should cut social welfare payments drastically and implement a food stamp program similar to the one currently running in the USA. This would allow the government to free up cash to reduce borrowing and reduce the tax burden on the middle classes.
If you want to save money on the welfare budget you cut pensions

Approx 7.6 billion spent on pensions each year compared to 2.1 billion for job seekers

Are ya gonna propose that OP?
Advertisement
05-09-2018, 20:30   #6
For Forks Sake

Is John From Carlow Andy From Sligos evil nemesis?

(94) thanks from:
893bet, aaronjumper, Agent Coulson, ahnowbrowncow, Aisling(",), alchemist33, AndrewJRenko, BelovedAunt, budgese, buried, Captain Obvious, CathalDublin, cbyrd, CerebralCortex, cherryghost, Church on Tuesday, circadian, Darkglasses, DebDynamite, Deckard Shaw, Desiree Burch, Dole Scrounging Vegan Crossfitter, Dr. Kenneth Noisewater, dr.fuzzenstein, drive3331, Drumpot, El Weirdo, elefant, ELM327, endacl, fancy pigeon, Filmer Paradise, Gannicus, gerrybbadd, Gimme A Pound, Gorgeousgeorge, Grab All Association, hairyslug, Head_Hunter, Hector Savage, How Soon Is Now, IrishGrimReaper, irishguitarlad, Iseedeadpixels, jackwigan, Johnny Dogs, js35, J_E, Knex., Lau2976, listermint, Lyndsey3000, MAJJ, major bill, Mal-Adjusted, megadodge, Mellow Yellow 26.2, Mr. Incognito, mrwhimwham, myshirt, Negative_G, NeitherJohn, Neyite, Obvious Desperate Breakfasts, OwaynOTT, pjohnson, PopePalpatine, Pter, Pyr0, redbel05, RhubarbCrumble, RichTea123, RicketyCricket, riffmongous, rossie1977, Say Your Number, Sofiztikated, somefeen, Sonics2k, Sudden Valley, Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo, tedpan, Thatnastyboy, The high horse brigade, TheDavester, Timberrrrrrrr, Timistry, upandcumming, Whatsisname, whiskeyman, Working class heroes, Yakult, Yer Da sells Avon, yermandan
05-09-2018, 20:31   #7
scamalert

well OP has a point maybe wrong example but smth like if one hasnt worked at least 5-10 years shouldnt be allowed on the dole if one is 18yold or gets knocked up let the parents pick up the slack, to many people well abled to work, get used to this free cash scheme, now being been on both sides its not a luxury life even if one doesnt have overheads, and not something one should rely on, i get some people fall on rough times but big majority see it as means of living that sort of life style, which gets easily passed onto next generation.

Thou theres quite few schemes on now where they put pressure on people but still to many loopholes for those that dont want any work, worst being the longer one relies on it the chances of getting back to employment goes down with each year radically.
05-09-2018, 20:32   #8
Try_harder

Still bitter about the Sugar Factory OP?
(3) thanks from:
05-09-2018, 20:33   #9
P_1

It should be a safety net for when you fall on hard times after you pay into the system not a way of life.
Advertisement
05-09-2018, 20:33   #10
Galwayguy35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eod100 View Post
Maybe thanks your rage and direct it at multinationals avoiding paying millions in tax every year. Easier to kick down though I guess
Who provide thousands of well paid jobs.

Its up to the Government to close any tax loopholes that might exist, if they took their eye off the ball thats not the companies issue to sort out.
05-09-2018, 20:34   #11
Try_harder

Quote:
Originally Posted by John from Carlow View Post
I believe the Irish government should cut social welfare payments drastically and implement a food stamp program similar to the one currently running in the USA. This would allow the government to free up cash to reduce borrowing and reduce the tax burden on the middle classes. It sickens me that people like Margaret Cash have the money for Sky digital subscriptions, shopping trips to Newry and computers with internet connections to post their drivel on Facebook. It has got to the stage were these people genuinely believe they deserve a reasonable middle-ish class lifestyle at the expense of the state. This may seem harsh to some but it is only fair that people that don't work live in abject poverty and are subjected to all the ills that such a lifestyle predisposes them to. I feel genuine rage that I am paying for other people's way through life; it makes me feel genuinely ill. At the moment the only viable alternative is to move to the US, a country where hard work is rewarded and the likes of Margaret Cash are left were they belong - in the gutter.
How much tax do you pay OP? Now remove every service you receive from the state, roads hospitals etc, cant imagine you fund much after that
05-09-2018, 20:35   #12
dxhound2005

I would stop all those pensioners heading off on exotic foreign holidays on their Social Welfare money. They get a lot more than the people on the dole. Make them spend the money at home.
(2) thanks from:
05-09-2018, 20:36   #13
Try_harder

Most of the dole money goes straight back into the economy tbf
05-09-2018, 20:36   #14
DontThankMe

They'll never do it because it would be political suicide and they would get voted out of the Dáil in the next general election. The €20 billion that is spent every year on welfare is way too high in my opinion but it's not all going to people on the dole!
(3) thanks from:
05-09-2018, 20:38   #15
Try_harder

Where would you cut DontThankMe?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size