Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

22-08-2018, 09:23   #1
Boards.ie: Niamh
Boards.ie Community Manager

Now Ye're Talking - to a forest manager

Today we have a forest manager with us who manages commercial forestry in Ireland from planting to clearfell. They have many years experience in the forestry industry and are involved in the management of some privately owned estates around the country.
Advertisement
22-08-2018, 11:28   #2
miamee

Is there much call for commercial forestry in Ireland? Does most of the wood stay in Ireland or get exported? Are they generally one type of tree or do you look after a variety of tree types?

I was watching something recently about a toilet roll factory in the UK (I know, I know ) and they bought their pulp from forests in Sweden. It showed the whole process from forest to factory. Do you have any idea what finished products your trees end up in?
22-08-2018, 11:28   #3
TheBody

Thanks for doing this AMA.

A neighbour of mine has an ash tree plantation (around 15 years old). He reported suspected ash die-back to the forest service almost a year ago and after repeatedly e-mailing them he has had no response. It still has not been tested or inspected.

Do you know what the latest approach from the Dept. to this disease is?

What are your thought on the future of ash trees in Ireland?
22-08-2018, 11:31   #4
fepper

Has the native alder any commercial value in forestry or do you think its literally for the birds,thanks.....
22-08-2018, 11:34   #5
Mech1

Are Grey Squirrel numbers doing harm and would i get permission to hunt them with a air rifle?
Advertisement
22-08-2018, 11:41   #6
I'm a Forest Manager, AMA
Verified representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamee
Is there much call for commercial forestry in Ireland? Does most of the wood stay in Ireland or get exported? Are they generally one type of tree or do you look after a variety of tree types?
730,000 ha is under forestry in ireland at this point in time, there is a government grant and premium scheme for land owners to plant forestry and it does not cost them a penny, 4200 hectares of private forestry was planted last year so there is a demand for it !

Most timber harvested in ireland is exported to England with a small proportion going to France,

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamee
I was watching something recently about a toilet roll factory in the UK (I know, I know ) and they bought their pulp from forests in Sweden. It showed the whole process from forest to factory. Do you have any idea what finished products your trees end up in?
Comercial Conifers go for pulp (used for toilet roll and firewood) Pallet (makes your garden pots and climbing frames and fencing panels) and then sawlog goes for construction timber (to build your house with), so a wide variety of uses !
(3) thanks from:
22-08-2018, 11:42   #7
Harry Palmr

Do you feel the investment aspect of commercial forestry has been very oversold to the public as a way of making money over the medium term?
22-08-2018, 11:43   #8
Verified representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBody
Do you know what the latest approach from the Dept. to this disease is?

sorry to hear that, the department has currently suspended the ash reconstitution scheme, I would recommend that your neighbour makes contact with a registered forester like myself to have the forest surveyed, most likely the affected trees would be removed from the forest under the woodland improvement scheme
(2) thanks from:
22-08-2018, 11:44   #9
challengemaster

Does the forest manager shít in the woods?
Advertisement
22-08-2018, 11:45   #10
mirwillbeback

Would you have sold Collymore if you had been there in 1994?
22-08-2018, 11:45   #11
Verified representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by fepper
Has the native alder any commercial value in forestry or do you think its literally for the birds,thanks.....

native Alder grows very vigorously but has poor form in the trees, generally your talking firewood in the early years and then there would be furniture planking down the line
(2) thanks from:
22-08-2018, 11:46   #12
ganmo

has this years crazy weather had any impact on the forestry sector?

is the presence of a semi state in the sector a help or hindrance?
Thanks from:
22-08-2018, 11:46   #13
Verified representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by challengemaster
Does the forest manager shít in the woods?
I've been known to leave a few logs behind me alright
22-08-2018, 11:46   #14
begbysback

Are three trees really considered to be a forest?
22-08-2018, 11:48   #15
Verified representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Palmr
Do you feel the investment aspect of commercial forestry has been very oversold to the public as a way of making money over the medium term?

not really, investment in forestry is still much safer than heading to the stock exchange and is used as a medium to long term investment with a good IRR on your initial investment
Thread Closed