Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Run the Line 2018 in aid of Dublin / Wicklow Mountain Rescue

Options
  • 07-08-2018 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

Hi all, registration is now open for RTL18
    Check out https://www.runtheline.ie/ for more details.
    Thanks
    S2S and DWMRT

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Just registered. Have never done it but heard great things.

Have the Monday booked off too as I'm sure to be broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

I'm in as well, after 5 stitches in my forehead & a broken finger (that will never be the same again :( ) last year figure I have to go back & face my fears!

Or at the very least reach the finish line under my own steam as opposed to in the back of a land rover :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

opus wrote: »
    I'm in as well, after 5 stitches in my forehead & a broken finger (that will never be the same again :( ) last year figure I have to go back & face my fears!

Or at the very least reach the finish line under my own steam as opposed to in the back of a land rover :)

S*it, h I won't need the Tuesday then too?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

Actually I had to take a half day on the Monday as the doctor who stitched me up in the medical tent didn't want me driving that day cause of a risk of concussion. Don't worry you're be grand, I was just a tad unlucky!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

It's a great course.

Trails up there can be very unforgiving if you trip and not typical of your normal mountain trails.

Course isn't particularly technical just if you fall, it'll hurt given hard compact surface.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Thanks
    S2S and DWMRT

No way to enter an address outside Ireland? Only option is to leave the county/country options empty on the drop-down selection, which means I can't input all the necessary information.

I could use a Dublin address for entering attendee information (and posting out), as long as it won't cause problems when that disagrees with my debit card address when I pay?

No way to enter an address outside Ireland? Only option is to leave the county/country options empty on the drop-down selection, which means I can't input all the necessary information.

I could use a Dublin address for entering attendee information (and posting out), as long as it won't cause problems when that disagrees with my debit card address when I pay?

Have tried this and on the payment option there's no option to add an address. So this won't work (as my debit card payment won't get accepted if it's with the wrong address). Even my BoI debit card uses the UK address....

Thanks
    S2S and DWMRT

PS I got in touch with the website directly and they told me how to proceed, so done now. Sorry for all the traffic on this thread :o.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Stanleigh

Interested in doing this one, but wonder how difficult it will really be... I've done a loads of road running, but haven't ventured to trail running just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Stanleigh wrote: »
    Interested in doing this one, but wonder how difficult it will really be... I've done a loads of road running, but haven't ventured to trail running just yet.

There's only one way to find out... you could do a recce of some of the course or an IMRA race or two to get a feel for what it will be like. There's nothing beyond most what most experienced road runners could handle on the course really, and you can always take it easy enough and enjoy the variety of terrain. If you just want to dip your toe in then maybe consider the short course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Hasnt sold out yet which is odd??
    Myself and a few lads usually run some of it a week or two before..Starting from Lamb Doyles mind (the old route)...
    Anyone wants to tag along no problem I will post up closer to the time..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Hasnt sold out yet which is odd??
    Myself and a few lads usually run some of it a week or two before..Starting from Lamb Doyles mind (the old route)...
    Anyone wants to tag along no problem I will post up closer to the time..

I would but I’m doing something else a week or two before. To anyone thinking of going, NN is a great man for a flask of tea and cakes at the end of a run :)

I would but I’m doing something else a week or two before. To anyone thinking of going, NN is a great man for a flask of tea and cakes at the end of a run :)

The Mrs Doyle of trail running.....:D
    BUT I have to see how my something else goes DOH before totally commiting to a reccy.....recoverys getting slower these days..

• Registered Users Posts: 46 james quinn

Race week already!! that flew :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭munsterbear

Run the Line, rugby, few pints, steak dinner. Sure a lovely day ahead....

They timed it perfectly as i remember the rugby was on last year also!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Are transfers allowed? Unfortunately I can't make it on Saturday so I have a short course entry to spare.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭NeedsTraining

Hey guys,

Weather is looking favourable for RTL tomorrow. Although it can change quickly up there.

Yoo much of a risk to wear shorts? Leggings recommended?

Cheers,

NT

Hey guys,

Weather is looking favourable for RTL tomorrow. Although it can change quickly up there.

Yoo much of a risk to wear shorts? Leggings recommended?

Cheers,

NT

A personal choice but having watched a documentary on Lyme disease recently I have started to wear longers in some places....Ignorance was bliss..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭munsterbear

I ran what I hope was some of the course two weeks ago... The section that just the long course will course was quite overgrown so I was glad to have legging with the spiky bushes.

Used a gpx file so may not be the exact path, but stuck to what I saw was the path....

• Advertisement

Wear shorts up there all the time. I’d be wearing shorts tomorrow.

It’s mostly on trail. I’d be more worried about getting hit by lightening v Lyme disease on those trails.

Djoucer wrote: »
    Wear shorts up there all the time. I’d be wearing shorts tomorrow.

It’s mostly on trail. I’d be more worried about getting hit by lightening v Lyme disease on those trails.

Have you seen the documentary Djoucer?

Knowing the terrain of the area myself id say 85% not a bother but again its a personal choice.
    Link below Im not scare mongering btw just information.

https://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/living-with-lyme-disease-30004887/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭ooter

A personal choice but having watched a documentary on Lyme disease recently I have started to wear longers in some places....Ignorance was bliss..

Any links to the doc or the name of it please?

ooter wrote: »
    Any links to the doc or the name of it please?

Have it up above your request Ooter...Not sure its still available on the Rte player just spotted that...
    Living with Lyme disease is the name of it....

I have. I’m not concerned about it on trails around ticknock.

And I’m still going to wear shorts in the hills.

Djoucer wrote: »
    I have. I’m not concerned about it on trails around ticknock.

And I’m still going to wear shorts in the hills.

I just asked you a question.
    Fair play to you. Keep her lit

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I do think it's a case of scare mongering, albeit good intentioned. It's a serious disease if not caught, but the reality is your unlikely to catch it running around that course in shorts, in winter. Even if you are bitten, you should spot it in the shower after a race, the risk of infection is low unless it's been there for some time.

Some of the wilder courses at the height of the summer that take you off trail I would be that bit more conscious about though. I sometimes wear legging then but that's because of the gorse.

I just asked you a question.
    Fair play to you. Keep her lit

That wasn’t meant to come across as snarky at all. Applogies if it did. It’s a good issue to raise.

I'm with the shorts on this one. Some training runs I wear leggings but with conditions looking favorable tomorrow and the extra temperatures of a race :-) ill go with shorts i think. No harm to check the legs post race either way!!

Particularly on the short course its predominately open so it would be tough luck to catch anything.

• Advertisement

On the transfer note, I'm sure if this was answered, but my belief was that the transfer date had passed on Wednesday. That is for name transfer i know you can change distance on the morning if wished.

Advertisement