Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

23-07-2018, 18:51   #1
80s Synth Pop

Electrocoin Duet Cabs are great for home use

Here is some info for any 90's arcade fans. The Electrocoin Duet was the centrepiece in many arcades and a long time "holy grail" cab for me.

They are quite rare to see come up for sale. I had an alert on ebay for several years before one came up. It seems most people think they are too big and they end up getting scrapped.

However, the seat section comes off halving the depth leaving you with these dimensions:
90cm wide, 180cm tall and 84cm deep.

So still slightly too big to fit through a regular 80cm door....

However, it fits neatly on a small pallet for shipping from UK to Ireland with Transland (around €100):

Once it lands on your door, start by stripping out the monitor, glass and jamma wiring so the cab is light.

You can take out the control panel section with a clamp/spreader. Be gentle with the clamp spreader and a flat head screwdriver to loosen the wood glue and dowels on each side until the control panel pops out:

Jigsaw out a section of the base - it's okay to leave this off as the base of the seat section goes over this cut out section anyway (I cut 15cm in from each side and 25 cm deep):

Now it fits in easily at an angle through the door. Get a corner of the base and control panel in first and then rotate the cab 90 degrees to get the rest of it in:

Once in, it's simply a case of reinstating the jamma wiring, monitor, glass etc. Then put the seat section on and it's ready to use.

It's the perfect height for kids too - the Xenon cab is too high (using that for vertical games only now) but this is perfect!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg base.jpg (89.7 KB, 261 views)
File Type: jpg Flyer-small.jpg (132.6 KB, 266 views)
File Type: jpg pallet.jpg (89.1 KB, 261 views)
File Type: jpg clamp spreader.jpg (139.1 KB, 261 views)
File Type: jpg angle.jpg (89.7 KB, 259 views)

Last edited by 80s Synth Pop; 23-07-2018 at 18:54.
Advertisement
23-07-2018, 18:59   #2
Optimus Prime
Roll Out...

A grail cab for me too. They used to have three of these in the bowling alley in Palmerstown back in the day.
(2) thanks from:
23-07-2018, 19:00   #3
80s Synth Pop

cab inside the house:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg inside.jpg (54.9 KB, 275 views)
File Type: jpg ready to go.jpg (75.5 KB, 276 views)
23-07-2018, 19:01   #4
Inviere

Cut my Street Fighting teeth on those cabs, love them to bits...pure nostalgia. Optimus will back me on this one!
Thanks from:
23-07-2018, 19:02   #5
Inviere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
They used to have three of these in the bowling alley in Palmerstown back in the day.
Can still see them as clear as day.

Champion Edition
Hyper Fighting
Champion Edition.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
23-07-2018, 19:05   #6
80s Synth Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inviere View Post
Can still see them as clear as day.

Champion Edition
Hyper Fighting
Champion Edition.

This one came with the bootleg "Rainbow Edition"
Thanks from:
23-07-2018, 21:02   #7
o1s1n

You bought a duet??? you mad bastard! fair play!

Looks to be in lovely condition, any of them that I saw on site were in bits.
23-07-2018, 21:16   #8
eddhorse

Send a message via ICQ to eddhorse
Nice get, and nice disassembly, very ballsy.

Enjoy it, really handy with the seats
23-07-2018, 22:57   #9
TechnoFreek

Savage. I'm been longing for some fresh cab smut
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
23-07-2018, 23:02   #10
KeRbDoG

Nice - didn't Dr. Quirkey's have a few of these or similar type large sit down cabs?
Thanks from:
24-07-2018, 08:43   #11
geotrig

wow ,havent been on in a while and some nice gets happening ! Id say a lot ,if not most arcades must have had a few of these bitd, savoy in limerick had 2 ,sf2 and beside it football champ lol .It was great being able to sit down to play on them then! looks in good condition
24-07-2018, 09:39   #12
o1s1n

Yeah it has to make you wonder did someone back in the day in Electrocoin see the Japanese sitting down at their candy cabs and think 'hmmm, that's not actually a bad idea!'

Bray Bowl had/has three of them. They had them back out again for the whole BYOB bowling when I was there a few years back. Got to have a crack at Metal Slug 3 on one of them
24-07-2018, 09:55   #13
geotrig

Yeah you'd wonder alright, it made playing and waiting to play street fighter less of a chore anyway and must have had some affect on the design .
Although our "other arcade" had these other "sit down" cabs (probably about 92-93ish) that where all the same ,about 30-40 red cabs with seats a bit higher than the duets but still seats ! so we were spoiled a bit. no idea what these cabs were, I don't remember any branding on them.
24-07-2018, 09:57   #14
o1s1n

Oh yeah? that's kinda interesting, were they the usual western woodie types?

I remember seeing a thread over on AO with photos of (I think German?) western designed wood cabs but after the likeness of candy cabs. Strange looking beasts!
24-07-2018, 10:04   #15
80s Synth Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeRbDoG View Post
Nice - didn't Dr. Quirkey's have a few of these or similar type large sit down cabs?

That's right. I used to go into Quirkey's on lunch break in early 00's and they had cabs even bigger than the duet there. Street fighter EX2 - with the kicks and punches wired up in opposite places..... Not quite as big as the megalo Sega cabs though. They had a virtual fighter (4 or 5?) that was in an even bigger megalo type cab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotrig View Post
Yeah you'd wonder alright, it made playing and waiting to play street fighter less of a chore anyway and must have had some affect on the design .
Although our "other arcade" had these other "sit down" cabs (probably about 92-93ish) that where all the same ,about 30-40 red cabs with seats a bit higher than the duets but still seats ! so we were spoiled a bit. no idea what these cabs were, I don't remember any branding on them.

Did you run an arcade geotrig??

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion