Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

16-07-2018, 22:19   #1
mod9maple

WDYTYA Series 15

Anyone watching? It was Lee Mack tonight and the second half was about his mother's people from Ballina. It was fascinating I must say. No spoilers if you haven't seen it yet but one woman in particular they didn't follow up on (she emigrated). I'm going to have a look for her now; dying to know what became of her.

Btw next week is George O'Dowd aka Boy George. I reckon he'll be crossing the Irish Sea too.

Edit: I found her. Intriguing.

Last edited by mod9maple; 16-07-2018 at 22:30.
Advertisement
16-07-2018, 22:33   #2
pinkypinky

There's no spoilers for genealogy! Everyone's dead.

If you missed Olivia Coleman last week, it's repeated tomorrow night quite late on BBC.
Thanks from:
16-07-2018, 23:14   #3
Hermy

The BBC's love affair with the so-called Great War is sickening.

I'm not sure Lee was so enamoured.
Thanks from:
16-07-2018, 23:27   #4
mod9maple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermy View Post
The BBC's love affair with the so-called Great War is sickening. I'm not sure Lee was so enamoured.
Yeah I kinda switched off for the first half. The Tablet technology was interesting though.
16-07-2018, 23:31   #5
spurious
Category Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkypinky View Post
There's no spoilers for genealogy! Everyone's dead.

If you missed Olivia Coleman last week, it's repeated tomorrow night quite late on BBC.
I enjoyed that episode. The letters written by the male ancestor to his brother about the lady he had met were like something from Jane Austen, as they said in the show. Such lovely things to have in a family.
Advertisement
17-07-2018, 00:01   #6
Hermy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mod9maple View Post
Yeah I kinda switched off for the first half. The Tablet technology was interesting though.
The tablet technology was great.

But the chap that was with Lee for that part was so pleased that Lee's great grandfather fought in that dreadful blood bath.
How can people still be so blind?
17-07-2018, 09:22   #7
pinkypinky

I admit I was so switched off to the first part that I don't even know what you mean by tablet technology! Do I need to undelete from my tellybox and watch again?
17-07-2018, 09:48   #8
Hermy

Lee was given a tablet with a map of the battle field with his position centred on the map and the map moved as he moved.
Thanks from:
17-07-2018, 11:26   #9
pinkypinky

That is pretty cool.
Advertisement
17-07-2018, 11:42   #10
Alicat

Loved the Olivia Coleman episode. What luck to have those letters!

I was disappointed they didn’t follow up on Lee’s g-grandmother who went to Canada.
Thanks from:
17-07-2018, 15:44   #11
mod9maple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicat View Post
I was disappointed they didn’t follow up on Lee’s g-grandmother who went to Canada.
She married twice, had 8 more children, and died in 1936. What they also failed to reveal was that her son, Lee's grandad, 'Joe', went to join her in Canada first, as an adult, in 1933 before going to live and get married in Southport in 1935.
17-07-2018, 15:45   #12
mod9maple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermy View Post
Lee was given a tablet with a map of the battle field with his position centred on the map and the map moved as he moved.
With a flashing red cursor/light. It was pretty geeky.
Thanks from:
17-07-2018, 17:22   #13
pinkypinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by mod9maple View Post
She married twice, had 8 more children, and died in 1936. What they also failed to reveal was that her son, Lee's grandad, 'Joe', went to join her in Canada first, as an adult, in 1933 before going to live and get married in Southport in 1935.
What a thing to leave out! That might have put some closure on all that stuff he said about her abandoning him.
Thanks from:
17-07-2018, 19:36   #14
Hermy

Maybe there were some relatives who didn't want to be featured.

Something I thought I noticed was when Lee was naming the people in the wedding photo just before he left for Ireland. He started by pointing to the man on the far left of the picture and then the camera moved on to where he begins naming people in the picture and that individual on the left is never mentioned. Maybe he was a friend rather than a relative but maybe not.
18-07-2018, 12:51   #15
carolinej

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkypinky View Post
What a thing to leave out! That might have put some closure on all that stuff he said about her abandoning him.
His aunt even said she knew very little of what happened to her grandmother. Funny the family didn't know she married and had 8 children.
Surely someone sometime mentioned cousins in Canada or maybe there is a big family rift still to this day. Who knows what goes on in families.

I suppose we forget in a time before Skype, FB, email and the humble telephone, contact with emigrated family was rare.

My own mother holidayed in England in the 1970's and looked up an uncle who had emigrated 30 years previous after the family had lost contact. She barely had an address for him. How she knew she had the right house was when he answered the door, she saw the family resemblance!

Boy George next week and I think a strong Irish element seeing as both his parents were Irish.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion