Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

10-07-2018, 17:07   #1
DaveyDave

Game Collections & Insurance

A while ago I saw a video outlining insurance on a large collection, thousands of games, and it prompted me to start a list of my collection, whether it was CIB and the value. It got me thinking, if something happened would my collection be covered under contents insurance? Would I get the value paid or the current value?

Bicycles for example generally aren't really covered over €500 and a budget road bike costs €1,000. Adding my bike would almost double the insurance cost to €200 but oddly enough expensive jewellery is anything over €2,000, so a €1,000 watch would be fine but a bike needs to be added!

The average retro game I have probably costs half what a new PS4 game costs but as a whole my Sega collection would be a fair few quid and only growing.

If someone had a ton of PS4 games or a huge movie library it might be a different story due to being unusual?

Any thoughts? Just something to keep in mind for the future
Advertisement
10-07-2018, 17:59   #2
o1s1n

Yeah it's not a bad idea. I did this a few years ago with my old house insurance policy and it didn't bring the price up that much. The best thing to do would be to shop around.

I had a policy for X amount on contents. Then added another 20-30k on that to that to cover itemised things like videogame collection etc.
10-07-2018, 19:20   #3
CiDeRmAn
Category Moderator

Jaysus.
Never ever considered insuring my pile.
11-07-2018, 16:09   #4
rubadub

I can picture a pair of scumbag burglars breaking in

"jaysus, yer man still only has a playstation 1 and a megadrive"
"ahh, here, the poor bastard, lets move onto another house"
13-07-2018, 11:27   #5
Skerries

3 hours later as the family wakes up to find them still there playing Street Fighter II

as they are being lead out "ah guard just one more game!"
Advertisement
13-07-2018, 12:04   #6
o1s1n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerries View Post
3 hours later as the family wakes up to find them still there playing Street Fighter II

as they are being lead out "ah guard just one more game!"
'Leh go a me or I'll do onadem hadoooooken yolks!'
Thanks from:
13-07-2018, 12:05   #7
CiDeRmAn
Category Moderator

I would have imagined that the house insurance would cover all contents but one would have to have declared those contents first, before they would pay out, certainly they are not going to take my word that I have a PSX or a Vectrex.

On the other hand, the modifications to my home, namely the conversion of the attic space with half of it full of Retro Gaming-GoodnessTM and the electrical sockets and other gubbins therein, might not be covered under the original house insurance declaration.

Makes it all the more important to switch things off!

You don't know when a PSU of a thirty year old console might decide to start a fire to relieve the boredom!
13-07-2018, 12:09   #8
Inviere

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiDeRmAn View Post
I would have imagined that the house insurance would cover all contents but one would have to have declared those contents first, before they would pay out, certainly they are not going to take my word that I have a PSX or a Vectrex
My thoughts exactly. “Yes I had 13 arcade cabinets worth €1500 each, a CIB Neo Geo AES collection, and ten copies of the NTSC Stadium Events game. When can I expect my cheque?”
Thanks from:
13-07-2018, 12:23   #9
CiDeRmAn
Category Moderator

What, you have ten copies of NTSC Stadium Events as well?
Oh, and be sure to let them know that they are VGA graded as well, for that extra premium, minty feeling!
Thanks from:
Advertisement
13-07-2018, 12:26   #10
o1s1n

House insurance and contents insurance are two different things.

House insurance will just rebuild your house if it burns down (and is a prerequisite for getting a mortgage here)

Contents insurance is something you need to pay for separately and does need to be itemized.

You don't need to list everything though if it's a collection, you just value your collection and they load an additional amount onto your monthly insurance cost.
Thanks from:
13-07-2018, 12:30   #11
DaveyDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inviere View Post
My thoughts exactly. “Yes I had 13 arcade cabinets worth €1500 each, a CIB Neo Geo AES collection, and ten copies of the NTSC Stadium Events game. When can I expect my cheque?”
Don't forget to list the Picasso hanging in the living room!

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1s1n View Post
You don't need to list everything though if it's a collection, you just value your collection and they load an additional amount onto your monthly insurance cost.
That's the part I'm wondering about. Say I have a PS4 and 20 games, does that warrant a specific number? I think my 360 collection peaked at about 30 games. I knew a guy who had over 100 360 games who would buy them whenever he could. I just buy a game I like when it comes out, might get the odd older game out of interest so it ends up being a small collection over the years.

I should try call them when I get a chance. I just wonder if a retro collection would be necessary to add on, as I would assume a PS4 for example would just be covered under the general contents cover.

Last edited by DaveyDave; 13-07-2018 at 12:40.
Thanks from:
13-07-2018, 12:41   #12
Inviere

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1s1n View Post
Contents insurance is something you need to pay for separately and does need to be itemized. You don't need to list everything though if it's a collection, you just value your collection and they load an additional amount onto your monthly insurance cost.
Would they just accept your word for it, and just load up the policy cost accordingly? Or would they send out an assessor to verify? Obviously asking in the case of a significant collection
13-07-2018, 12:57   #13
o1s1n

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyDave View Post
That's the part I'm wondering about. .
So I didn't mention a specific number of games, just a specific number the collection was valued at.

Just to note that I have absolutely no idea of the value of my games collection, it was just a figure I'd be happy with getting if everything was lost in a fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inviere View Post
Would they just accept your word for it, and just load up the policy cost accordingly? Or would they send out an assessor to verify? Obviously asking in the case of a significant collection
That's what they seemed to do with me. I had a couple of big ticket items itemized just to be safe, but my art and games collections I just attached specific values to and they seemed to be happy with that.

I do photograph most of my gear so did have that as a backup in case the worst happened and they asked for proof.
Thanks from:
13-07-2018, 13:03   #14
o1s1n

As a side note, it was quite amusing trying to explain what an 'Akira cel collection' was to someone from an insurance company.

'So you know what animation cels are?'

'No'

'Okay well..do you know what acetate is...?'

'No'

'Do you know what cartoons are?'

...this went on for quite a while.
(4) thanks from:
13-07-2018, 13:43   #15
Skerries

original Akira cels?

Quick Reply
Bold