Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

01-07-2018, 12:33   #1
hjr

Ancestry DNA Test

Hi there,

Just an FYI for anyone thinking of sending off a sample and wondering about the timeframe involved.

I posted of a test on the 20th June, and results arrived today...which is a pretty decent turnaround time in fairness....not the research really begins!!
Advertisement
01-07-2018, 15:16   #2
Jellybaby1

Mine was a bit slower, maybe 3 weeks, pretty good really. Found a lot of matches and already hooked up with some of them. Glad I did it.
01-07-2018, 16:06   #3
spurious
Category Moderator

Mine was 5 weeks with Family Tree DNA, bit it was after a bit advertising campaign, so I expected a bit of a delay. It was still quicker than the time frame we had been told (six weeks).

Don't forget gedmatch.com if you want to match with other companies.
01-07-2018, 20:10   #4
VirginiaB

I did Ancestry's last fall and just did FamilyTree.  So far, Ancestry's has been a lot more helpful. I am in the US if that makes any difference in the recognized connections or number of close connections--none on FamilyTree.
A tip for Ancestry. Even if there is no tree attached, click on the person's name to get to their page and many times there is a tree--they just didn't attach it to the DNA results.
Also, if there is no tree but you click on 'Shared Matches' you can often figure out which line of your family the match is in--if you have already done a lot of research via records.
(4) thanks from:
02-07-2018, 09:52   #5
hjr

I completely agree with VirginiaB in her tips. I have some relatives from all corners of my tree who did the DNA test, and it really helps in narrowing down the family line....two of my first cousins on one line have done the test so I've "anchored" many of the matches off them, and am going to work down one family line at a time! Also, Ancestry allows you to put a little note on each match too, so you can remember who you've investigated, contacted, matched, etc....
Thanks from:
Advertisement
02-07-2018, 10:18   #6
pinkypinky

Well, FTDNA lets you see shared matches and make notes too. I also like their feature where you can confirm the connection. Ancestry doesn't have that and it keeps offering me shaky leaf reminders on my 1C1R who I know personally and arranged the DNA test for.

The main thing that Ancestry is lacking is the chromosome browser. I wanted to see if 2 people who both matched me had a greater match and on which chromosomes. I had to persuade the Ancestry user to upload to Gedmatch (they did).
02-07-2018, 10:22   #7
hjr

Hi Pinkypinky, now that I have my Ancestry DNA test done, are you saying I can upload those results to gedmatch? Or do I upload my tree? Sorry if I'm being a bit thick!
02-07-2018, 10:46   #8
pinkypinky

You can upload to Gedmatch. Just register with them and follow their instructions.
02-07-2018, 11:07   #9
Earnest

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginiaB View Post
I did Ancestry's last fall and just did FamilyTree.  So far, Ancestry's has been a lot more helpful. I am in the US if that makes any difference in the recognized connections or number of close connections--none on FamilyTree.
A tip for Ancestry. Even if there is no tree attached, click on the person's name to get to their page and many times there is a tree--they just didn't attach it to the DNA results.
Also, if there is no tree but you click on 'Shared Matches' you can often figure out which line of your family the match is in--if you have already done a lot of research via records.
What do you mean by "click on the person's name"? That only brings you to the screen that says X "has not yet linked a family tree to their AncestryDNA results."
Advertisement
02-07-2018, 12:27   #10
pinkypinky

There's tabs on that screen though - one is shared matches.
02-07-2018, 14:49   #11
VirginiaB

Earnest, On Ancestry, click on the person's name which should bring you to their page with their name again and a bit of info.  Then scroll down slightly and you might see one or more family trees listed.  You don't necessarily see it if you don't scroll down.
02-07-2018, 15:14   #12
Hermy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earnest View Post
What do you mean by "click on the person's name"? That only brings you to the screen that says X "has not yet linked a family tree to their AncestryDNA results."
When you get to that screen click on the persons name to go to their profile page where they may have a tree you can access.
04-07-2018, 11:30   #13
Earnest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermy View Post
When you get to that screen click on the persons name to go to their profile page where they may have a tree you can access.
Thanks, Hermy and Virginia. Yes, it works all right, but from ten tries it produced only a couple of microscopic trees. But undoubtedly another thing to check.
Thanks from:
04-07-2018, 11:37   #14
hjr

I think a lot of people seem to be using the DNA as the starting point to research their ancestry, hence why they don't appear to have any trees on ancestry, or only have a handful of people listed. I find it frustrating that someone would buy the DNA kit and then not do anything else...I've seen some matches that haven't logged in in over a year....and I've contacted many of them without reply....why go to the trouble of doing the DNA and then not exploring further!! Sorry, thats my little rant over
(2) thanks from:
04-07-2018, 15:06   #15
VirginiaB

Patience, patience, Earnest. That's what genealogy is all about. Just last night I found someone this way with a tree of almost 200 people. Nothing helpful but the extra step is like buying a lottery ticket with a lot better odds. I have gotten lucky at other times.
I agree with hjr that a lot of people use DNA as a hoped-for short-cut to answers they can only get with records.  To me, the records give pictures of real people with names and unique stories, full of drama and pathos.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion