Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

14-05-2018, 09:08   #1
Yurple

Extreme noise level - creche

Hello everybody,

I am looking for advise after searching on citizens information, threshold.ie, and several other sources that talk about noise.

When I bought my apartment many years ago, it was in its building phase. They showed the plans and a mockup and everybody was happy with it.
Some time after the apartments were finished... someone got permission to build a large creche in the middle of the courtyard of every single apartment in the area.

Every day between 08:30 and 09:00 they put every child in the creche out into the courtyard play zone and tell them to make as much noise as possible. They see who can shout the loudest, they chase them and make them run etc... it is absolutely crazy.

I work a lot of very late shifts and full night shifts. I just cannot sleep. Window vents completely shut, double layered ear plugs, nothing works. The noise level is too high.

I have to sleep on the couch and this has been going on for so long now that I have this ongoing pain in my back and right shoulder...

I do not know if there is anything I can do. Can anybody provide me with advise? Since I am in negative equity I am unable to move to another place. I am stuck.

Thanks in advanced!
Thanks from:
Advertisement
14-05-2018, 09:12   #2
iamwhoiam

Could you swap your rooms around ? Bedroom where the sitting room is now ? If not could you buy a fold away bed to use when you need to sleep ?
I did night duty all my working life and had to think of ways of helping myself as the world outside sure wasn't !
14-05-2018, 09:18   #3
Yurple

Yes I have tried a foldaway bed but it broke - i should get one again.

Unable to swap everything due to connections and different size. Thanks though!
(3) thanks from:
14-05-2018, 09:46   #4
spaceHopper

Check the planning permission and see were there any conditions attached that they are breaking. Complain to the building management. Can you rent it and rent somewhere else?

What about noise canceling head phones
Thanks from:
14-05-2018, 09:56   #5
zell12

Noise pollution laws
http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en...gulations.html

However, it's happening at a reasonable time (0900) so I suspect your complaints will be ignored.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
14-05-2018, 11:29   #6
Graces7

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceHopper View Post
Check the planning permission and see were there any conditions attached that they are breaking. Complain to the building management. Can you rent it and rent somewhere else?

What about noise canceling head phones
Not possible to sleep in. I tried at one stage.. In need I use now wax ear plugs that work better than the foam ones..

OP, I feel for you, I really do
(2) thanks from:
14-05-2018, 13:51   #7
tatranska

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graces7 View Post
Not possible to sleep in. I tried at one stage.. In need I use now wax ear plugs that work better than the foam ones..

OP, I feel for you, I really do
Wax ear plugs
14-05-2018, 14:48   #8
Del2005

Legally there is nothing that can be done. But any reasonable business getting a valid issue raised by a neighbour should try to negate the nuisance. OP call in to the crèche and explain your problem to see what they will do, I'd be surprised if they did nothing.
14-05-2018, 15:14   #9
Yurple

Thanks for all the great replies. I will try wax ear plugs instead of the foam ones i have now.
Advertisement
14-05-2018, 15:23   #10
LaLa2004

Go to the manager and calmly verbalize your predicament.
Complain to the owner, if nothing happens.
14-05-2018, 15:26   #11
iamwhoiam

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLa2004 View Post
Go to the manager and calmly verbalize your predicament.
Complain to the owner, if nothing happens.
Its 8;30 till 9 am and allowing the preschool children out in the fresh air . What is there to complain about ?
14-05-2018, 15:28   #12
GreeBo

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamwhoiam View Post
What is there to complain about ?
Erm, the noise?
14-05-2018, 15:33   #13
iamwhoiam

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreeBo View Post
Erm, the noise?
Erm its a creche . Its like complaining that the kids are loud in a school yard
Its not the middle of the night for them . The OP has to help himself if he does night shifts in fairness
I did nights all my life but never asked my neighbour not to cut his grass .
I doubt very much there is a reason to complain in this instance actually
14-05-2018, 15:33   #14
Yurple

It is between 08:30 and 09:00 in the morning until between 17:00 and 18:00 when the children are outside in the middle of the courtyard. It is not just 30 minutes. It is the entire day, 5 days a week.

They also do not just go outside and play... several of the staff members open the doors and go: "CHILDREN LETS GOOOOOOOOOOOOO! SCREAM CHILDREN SCREAM!!! I AM CHASING YOU!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHA"

She screams this on the top of her lungs every day ... possibly to make the children tired for the rest of the rest so it is easier to manage? I am unsure. The staff members are as loud as possible and make the children run around and scream their heads off

Quote:
Its 8;30 till 9 am and allowing the preschool children out in the fresh air . What is there to complain about ?
(4) thanks from:
14-05-2018, 15:35   #15
GreeBo

Quote:
Erm its a creche . Its like complaining that the kids are loud in a school yard
Its not the middle of the night for them . The OP has to help himself if he does night shifts in fairness
I did nights all my life but never asked my neighbour not to cut his grass .
I doubt very much there is a reason to complain in this instance actually
No, its like someone building a school yard outside your house unbeknownst to you. Based on what the OP is telling us, there seems like an awful lot to complain about actually. I know I would be complaining. Its an inappropriate use of public(?) space.

OP, is the play area in the courtyard or is there a separate area within the creche?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion