Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Weddings - a terrible day out.

• 02-05-2018 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭

Opened the letter box this morning, and discovered an invite to the wedding of my nephew and his girlfriend. Has put me in bad mood as a result. I’ll have to go, but I’d rather get a 5-fingered prostate exam than attend to be honest. Does anyone actually enjoy Irish weddings?

They take all day. They cost a fortune. The food is nearly always shîte, you end up talking to cousins and other relations you hate, the speeches are always the same, you can’t get too drunk or the extended family will be gossiping about you, you don’t know who you’ll be sitting beside, the music is terrible. Just a really bad day out. The only positive is that there’s a decent chance you’ll get the ride at the end of the night.

When will start having w mature conversation about this? No one wants to go to these dreadful affairs only Bridezilla and her bridesmaids. Fiasco.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

I think they are great. As long as its not me up there I'd go to one a week if I could.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,278 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Sounds like it’s your family you hate there OP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Opened the letter box this morning, and discovered an invite to the wedding of my nephew and his girlfriend. Has put me in bad mood as a result. I’ll have to go, but I’d rather get a 5-fingered prostate exam than attend to be honest. Does anyone actually enjoy Irish weddings?

Would that be 5 fingers at the same time or one after the other?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,767 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

You don't HAVE to go, you know.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Would that be a 2-knuckler or a 3-knuckler one? Like, really how bad do you not want to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Just turn up mad drunk in your nude, problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

jacksie66 wrote: »
    I hate social gatherings as a whole. I hate being in a room with more than 2 or 3 people..

My feelings to a tee
    Will you marry me? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    You don't HAVE to go, you know.

You kind of do though. And you have to give 150 as a gift if you’re single, or 300 if you’re a couple. They are nearly always a complete waste of a day. As I said, the only positive is that there’s a decent chance you’ll chat up a bird later on in the evenings, and retire to the massively overpriced room for a bit of the beast with two backs.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

This is a "marmite" issue, you either love or hate weddings.

But even if you hate them, there are some of close family that it is very difficult to get out of, particularly with the "save the date" things, meaning you cannot inadvertently oooops, have booked a holiday for the same time" Trapped we are !

Anyway, I'm not a great lover of weddings myself have to say, but will go to immediate family ones no problem. I know everyone and get sitting beside like minded people. Usually good fun.

Younger folk love them for the all day event, the drinking and dancing, and sing song into the small hours. I was one of them once!

But now I'm getting older the only part of weddings I don't like is the dancing part. So now, we go to all the ceremonies, hang around, have a drink, eat the meal, chat to everyone, and then feck off about an hour into the dancing. We are NOT missed at all!

I think the Queen has the right idea. At all the recent weddings she attended, she just toasted the B+G at the after ceremony drinks reception and fecked off home to her corgis!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Wedding invites are like a summons.

You kind of do though. And you have to give 150 as a gift if you’re single, or 300 if you’re a couple. They are nearly always a complete waste of a day. As I said, the only positive is that there’s a decent chance you’ll chat up a bird later on in the evenings, and retire to the massively overpriced room for a bit of the beast with two backs.

Feck that!!! I wouldn't give that much :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

They take all day. They cost a fortune. The food is nearly always shîte, you end up talking to cousins and other relations you hate, the speeches are always the same, you can’t get too drunk or the extended family will be gossiping about you, you don’t know who you’ll be sitting beside, the music is terrible. Just a really bad day out. The only positive is that there’s a decent chance you’ll get the ride at the end of the night.

When will start having w mature conversation about this? No one wants to go to these dreadful affairs only Bridezilla and her bridesmaids. Fiasco.

I bet your nephew invited you out of spite.

Fiver says youre at the kids table as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Yes totally agree. Most weddings nowadays are long, dragged out and really boring affairs. Maybe the first few you go to are exciting and 'different' but after that they all just merge into one long samey samey wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,506 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I have one coming up and the missus is Bridesmaid,
    I know basically know one but the Bride and my Missus so a day of eating and making small talk with people iv never meet while it costs me a fortune because of course we have to stay for two nights don't we ,

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

They probably only asked the grumpy uncle out of politeness and obligation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

If there was any good in people they'd get married on a damp Tuesday in November, but naw, always on a good Bank Holiday when there's turf to foot and grass to cut.

Selfish bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I have to go to my nephew in law's First Communion next Saturday.

It's a 2 hour drive away.

Apparently we have to go to the mass which lasts an hour.

Stand around for ages taking photos of the snot-nosed brat and his friends.

Go back to the parents house for shop-bought lasagna.

Spend ages there talking to people I have absolutely no interest or nothing in common with.

Stay sober because I have to drive home.

50% of the weekend gone doing something that's going to be painful from start to finish.

No guarantee of ride afterwards either - she'll probably be 'too tired'.

I'll take the wedding any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    They probably only asked the grumpy uncle out of politeness and obligation

They needn’t have bothered. I’d rather untangle a box of cables to be honest.

One thing I have learned from the responses to this thread is I'm not as big a weirdo as I thought I was ha ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

They needn’t have bothered. I’d rather untangle a box of cables to be honest.

Then do just that .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Hate weddings. Luckily for me I'm so anti social I don't get invited to a lot of them!

I honestly think the way forward is to just be known as that person that doesn't do weddings. Just blanket ban them. That way there's none of the "oh he went to hers, but not to mine" or any of that shít. Just don't go to any if you feel that strongly about it. You'll be grudgingly respected. And as for falling out with people over non attendance, if you land the 150/200 quid in front of them around the time of the wedding, you'll still be a hero and everyone's a winner.

I also wish this fad for destination weddings would die a death. At least if a wedding is at home you can make your excuses at some stage in the evening and escape. But if you're all trapped in the same Spanish village it's a bit difficult to say you have an early start in the morning/the babysitter needs to go home/you have to be at another function later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Depends on the wedding.

For the last three years I've averaged about 11 weddings annually.
    I look forward to the ones that are friends of mine as they are the few times we get to meet up these days.

If it's a wedding of my girlfriends side then I wouldn't say I look forward to it although I do enjoy it when I'm there. If I'm honest the most part I resent in that case is that my whole weekend is gone between the wedding and the afters.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,709 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Like a big, fat unwanted bill more like...

I also wish this fad for destination weddings would die a death. At least if a wedding is at home you can make your excuses at some stage in the evening and escape. But if you're all trapped in the same Spanish village it's a bit difficult to say you have an early start in the morning/the babysitter needs to go home/you have to be at another function later on.

I will NOT go to destination weddings abroad ever. Close family do not like the idea either, so all is good in that department!

Sorry, not going, but will always give a present of money whether attending or not. Saves loadsa dough by not going anyway, and everyone is happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

getting married in the summer. toying with the idea of putting

'you are summonsed to the wedding...' on the top of the invite.

getting married in the summer. toying with the idea of putting

'you are summonsed to the wedding...' on the top of the invite.

And ten penalty points or jail if you don't attend :p

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I feel your pain, OP. I have to go to a wedding in October. I despise the couple and the hotel is in the middle of nowhere, and it's old, so the room will probably be musty and damp. The food is supposed to be good, but we'll have to see...

I'd rather watch a soccer game between a team of darts players and a team of golfers.

• Advertisement

And ten penalty points or jail if you don't attend :p

And a 'fine' of a €200 gift cheque if you do!

Advertisement