Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

29-03-2018, 11:52   #1
vidapura

Roofbox on SUV - too high?

Hi,

Just looking at the idea of putting a roofbox on one of the family cars.

Mines a 2008 Koleos.. the wife has a Qashqai...

As with most of these SUV's they have small enough boots...
And we've a small fella so, for the holidays the travel cot and the buggy make it hard to get the bags in.

So, thinkin bout a roofbox just to lob the buggy and the travel cot up.. and any lighter stuff up into it.

I see they look grand on a saloon .. but the SUV's are tall enough..

Anyone done this tho? Does it make the car unstable being so highsided?
Crosswinds ? Etc...
Advertisement
29-03-2018, 12:06   #2
draycottgirlz

I have used a roofbox on mine, full size 4X4 without any problems. Just watch out for height limits - carparks, parks etc, and of course you will have a lot of wind noise on the motorway but with two little ones it was great to have the extra space to store things when we were travelling
Thanks from:
29-03-2018, 13:34   #3
biko
Arbiter

Check on google images and see what you think
As said be careful around car park with height restrictions but it's probably ok

And of course check YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_YZe8N3hkE
29-03-2018, 13:40   #4
colm_mcm

You could also look at alternative smaller buggy. Same with travel cot, I got one just for going away, makes a huge difference. If it’s only one child then a roof box seems a bit extreme.
29-03-2018, 13:58   #5
vidapura

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I suppose I was worried about getting blown off course on the motorway or things getting unstable in corners..

But if I keep the weight reasonable I suppose its unlikely..

Thanks again.
Advertisement
29-03-2018, 15:10   #6
draycottgirlz

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidapura View Post
Thanks everyone for your replies.

I suppose I was worried about getting blown off course on the motorway or things getting unstable in corners..

But if I keep the weight reasonable I suppose its unlikely..

Thanks again.
I hear you....I tightened mine up as much as could (made it a pain to get off) but well worth it. Checked it after the first 50km to look for movement, once I can could see there was none I motored on....
29-03-2018, 19:08   #7
ldr

I have on mine a thule back box 420L doesn't extend more the lenght of the Suv more then a bicycle rack
I have 2 years and have done thousands of miles with it through uk and Europe

Best thing I still get to take advantage of sun roof
30-03-2018, 11:20   #8
vidapura

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldr View Post
I have on mine a thule back box 420L doesn't extend more the lenght of the Suv more then a bicycle rack
I have 2 years and have done thousands of miles with it through uk and Europe

Best thing I still get to take advantage of sun roof
Sigh .. wish I had a sunroof...
...and a hitch...

I don't have a hitch yet so can't use a backbox... but I do like the idea..
Doesn't interfere with the rear parking sensors at all no?
30-03-2018, 13:01   #9
JamesM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidapura View Post
Sigh .. wish I had a sunroof...
...and a hitch...

I don't have a hitch yet so can't use a backbox... but I do like the idea..
Doesn't interfere with the rear parking sensors at all no?
Don't take the warnings about car parks lightly. There is a beach car park close to where we have our caravan. Most days we hear the crash of another roof box jamming under the barrier or getting ripped off
Advertisement
31-03-2018, 13:48   #10
vidapura

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM View Post
Don't take the warnings about car parks lightly. There is a beach car park close to where we have our caravan. Most days we hear the crash of another roof box jamming under the barrier or getting ripped off
Yeah, thats really something I would have to watch.. I reckon I would forget at some stage.
Friend of mine is a perennial france family holiday camper and he says he just doesn't ever go near high rise carparks all year.. just a habit he had to get into...

Don't think the rear box would work with my yoke... cos it has a tailgate that opens down..

I see Micks Garage has a 420L Junior box for 170 euro.. seems reasonable...
01-04-2018, 18:45   #11
ldr

I disable the parking sensors when i have the box mounted, the box is located to close to the sensors but makes no difference how you drive or park the car.

With my setup i lose access to the boot from the back, but makes no difference to me as i can access if needed from the inside.
01-04-2018, 22:49   #12
John_Rambo

I've a tall 4x4 with a roof basket that has sports bags & surf equipment on top. Aside from the excellent points made on this thread there's another one.

If you're car is high and you've stuff on the roof, auto toll booths assumes your driving a commercial and won't raise the barrier until you put more money in or press the help button making you the most annoying person in the world!!

So, just go to the toll booth that has a human in it.

Other than that, it doesn't affect the performance or safety of the car aside from fuel consumption and noise.
01-04-2018, 23:31   #13
pete4130

Just measure the height from the ground to the top of the roof box and write it on the inside of the windscreen up the top of the drivers side, so you always know how tall your vehicle is for car parks.
02-04-2018, 23:11   #14
colm_c

Not to derail the thread, but I can't understand how popular these crossovers are for people with more than one small kid.

The boots are tiny, and you need a lot of space for all the bits when they are small.
02-04-2018, 23:15   #15
Wildly Boaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by colm_c View Post
Not to derail the thread, but I can't understand how popular these crossovers are for people with more than one small kid.

The boots are tiny, and you need a lot of space for all the bits when they are small.
Have a kuga. Plenty boot space.

Main thing is the ease of getting little one into seat. No bending into back car. Serious back saver.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion