Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

26-03-2018, 09:45   #1
MetEireann
Verified representative

New Met Éireann Website (beta)

Hi guys,

We have released the link to our new Met Éireann website, available from the link at https://beta.met.ie/

This is still a beta site and both websites will be running for a period with all products produced as normal but current site will be eventually be replaced by this new site.

New iOS and android app will be released probably around the changeover too.

This site is still under some development.
There's an issue with radar length and meteogram times at the moment, possibly due to UTC times so bear with us today!

Feedback welcome!

Last edited by MetEireann; 26-03-2018 at 13:09.
(114) thanks from:
1bryan, 445279.ie, Alan70, Alanstrainor, angryIreGamer, Artane2002, Auld Jim Halpin, Belfunk, BigCon, BigMoose, blackbird99, BLIZZARD7, blue5000, Boards.ie, Bob the Builder, brian_rbk, Bsal, budweiser6, CB19Kevo, cherryghost, Ckit1, Comhra, Cork Boy 53, Dónal, dacogawa, DanielL18, DaveR1000, dexter647, dmaprelude, Doctor C, Donegal Storm, Drumpot, DrZeuss, Edz87, EricPraline, gammygils, gavwaldo, GBX, GeneHunt, glossy, glwaymiko, gman127, god's toy, Gonzo, hmmm, Hogzy, hurling_lad, igCorcaigh, Jack Five, JCX BXC, Jpmarn, jrd, lapua20grain, Liffey4A, Longing, Luckycharms_74, Meteorite58, MetLuver, mickger844posts, Mickyjoek, missfarmer, Muckie, Nate--IRL--, nc6000, now online, octo, okla, Oneiric 3, onmebike, opus, Oscar Bravo, Pangea, pistolpetes11, Plastik, Poochie05, PukkaStukka, RazorT, RedPeppers, RobertKK, Robxxx7, RoisinD, ronnie3585, Rooy, Rougies, Rulmeq, Schorpio, sdanseo, SevenAte9, Sierra Oscar, SleetAndSnow, snowstreams, sparrowcar, spatchco, sryanbruen, Stevie79, sumtings, Tabnabs, talkabout, Tazio, telekon, TheChizler, Tigerandahalf, tnegun, TTTT, Turtwig, twistables, up for anything, vickers209, Wanderer78, waterways, White_hills, Wine Goddess, Wise Old Elf, Yer Da sells Avon
Advertisement
26-03-2018, 10:51   #2
yellowlabrador

I love it.
26-03-2018, 10:59   #3
Artane2002

The old site is way better. The graphics are not very good on the new site. The rainfall radar is much better though. The way the site is organised on mobile isn't great. This is only on mobile, I'll have a look on my laptop later.
(2) thanks from:
26-03-2018, 11:07   #4
Alanstrainor

Looks great. Having the radar on the home page is a welcome change, as well as the updated interval and graphics. It has a nice flow, well done.
(2) thanks from:
26-03-2018, 11:11   #5
lottpaul

Really dislike the map -- would prefer the older one which just shows counties -- maybe add a few towns or cities but this is just too busy. Like the other features -- very clear charts etc but that map......
Advertisement
26-03-2018, 11:12   #6
Sierra Oscar
Category Moderator

I like it, having the rainfall radar on the homepage is a welcome change.

Just a minor bugbear, when you're trying to scroll down on the main page using desktop version it zooms out of the rainfall radar if the cursor is placed over it.
26-03-2018, 11:20   #7
sryanbruen

I absolutely love it, especially how the Ireland extreme records page now has the location and year the record was recorded. I always found it frustrating and tedious to find out when they were recorded before on the old site.

Huge well done on the site, I also like the appearance of it.

https://beta.met.ie/climate/weather-extreme-records
(3) thanks from:
26-03-2018, 11:23   #8
Akrasia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Oscar View Post
I like it, having the rainfall radar on the homepage is a welcome change.

Just a minor bugbear, when you're trying to scroll down on the main page using desktop version it zooms out of the rainfall radar if the cursor is placed over it.
this ^
When trying to scroll down the page, it just keeps zooming in to the map.
26-03-2018, 11:32   #9
DavidJC

Delighted to see the progress.

My observations:
I first looked for a speed setting on the radar/forecast loops - hopefully this can be implemented.

The forecast overcast map - I think it would be preferable to have a cloud cover/rain/snow overlay rather than the symbols which are very limiting on a changeable day

The BBC weather site has recently changed to show graphics more like on their TV output on a timeline slider and I really like it.
I would love if Met Eireann adopted something like that.
For example: https://www.bbc.com/weather/2964574
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
26-03-2018, 11:35   #10
Robxxx7

Thumbs up from me .. looks nicely laid out .. i like it
26-03-2018, 11:40   #11
Rebelbrowser

On a laptop anyway its good.

Would love to see dew points added to the latest reports section.
Thanks from:
26-03-2018, 11:42   #12
ascophyllum

I really like it, the radar map could be a touch smaller on the desktop screen, I love the chronological layout lower down, its similar to windguru adn yr.no, this is especially useful for people working on the sea, a sudden wind change at 3pm from SW to SE is apparent there for a location whereas on the old version it wouldnt be, well done!
26-03-2018, 11:44   #13
david65

Like the layout, a big improvement, love it!
26-03-2018, 12:15   #14
SleetAndSnow

So far so good, liking the layout of it on my laptop! I find it easier to navigate then the previous one . The rainfall radar is now in a great position.
26-03-2018, 12:23   #15
Donegal Storm

Great to finally get a preview of this, long overdue.

First impressions on the map, the rainfall radar is a massive improvement, zoomable, 5 minute frequency, easily distinguishable colours and most importantly it seems to be using the Belfast radar so I finally won't have to rely on UK sites when I'm in Donegal. A minor improvement that'd be nice is having the radar update when you drag the time-interval bar, similar to netweathers radar app.

The new forecasting tools are also excellent (is that using Harmonie?), particularly for rainfall. The temperature colour progression is the only issue I'd have there, a lot of the colours are too similar so even checking the legend its hard to know what you're looking at. Having a few isotherms on the map might be better and I'm not sure what the W's and C's refer to?

I'd agree with others that zooming should be based on a button click rather than mouse scroll as doing so zooms out the map. Other than that, I'd prefer a custom map over openstreetmap as there's no need to show all the roads, coastal boundaries etc and it gets a bit messy when you zoom in. Minor complaints though

On the rest of the site, forecast presentation and general layout are a huge improvement, I'll play around with it later and give impressions

Last edited by Donegal Storm; 26-03-2018 at 12:28.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion