Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

13-03-2018, 09:37   #1
Boards.ie: Niamh
Boards.ie Community Manager

Now Ye're Talking - to a Cabin Crew Member

Our next guest worked as a Cabin Crew member for almost two years for a European carrier that operated short, medium and long haul flights.

He's eagerly anticipating some great questions!
Advertisement
13-03-2018, 10:29   #2
miamee

Do you prefer being called 'cabin crew' to 'flight attendant' or is there a difference?

Why did you decide to give it up? Some would see it as a very glamorous job but maybe it's very tiring as well.

What's the most unusual thing that has ever happened to you or a colleague in-flight? I'd say there are lots of stories of people behaving badly. I follow a facebook page called Passenger Shaming - it's US based but some of the things people think are ok to do in a small, confined space are just revolting.
13-03-2018, 13:18   #3
manonboard

Do you ever get scared when there is a problem brewing that it will be too difficult to contain?
Or do you not take it that personally and simply accept you are doing the best?

What do you think of more strict baggage rules that seem to constantly get worst? Is there really a need for them?

What do you think is the biggest thing a passenger can do to help out the flight?
13-03-2018, 14:28   #4
January

What's the scariest thing you experienced (severe turbulence, an emergency such as engine failure etc)?
13-03-2018, 14:31   #5
franklyon

Have you joined the Mile High Club yet? (Yes I know but someone was bound to ask)
Advertisement
13-03-2018, 14:33   #6
helimachoptor
#TitanUp

How many people have you caught trying to join the mile high club?
(3) thanks from:
13-03-2018, 14:37   #7
washiskin

I used to read a forum for UK flight staff that revealed a few "national treasures" were anything but when it came to manners and respect....have you ever had a well known personality be a bit of a pain?
13-03-2018, 14:43   #8
Hitman3000

Did you ever wish you could open the door mid flight and throw a passenger out?
13-03-2018, 15:27   #9
Agent Smith
Did you enjoy the fuhrer's birthday?

Do you have a Beside Locker?

Whats in your bedside locker?

also...

Whats the best thing a Lone traveler can do to get an upgrade or allowed sit in Business class for free....

Last edited by Agent Smith; 13-03-2018 at 16:01.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
13-03-2018, 17:20   #10
Fox Hound

Are all Pilots like Quagmire from Family Guy?? I have heard stories that they "prey" on new Cabin Crew! have you any similar stories about sleazy Pilots,
Thanks from:
13-03-2018, 19:16   #11
I'm Cabin Crew, AMA
Verified representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamee View Post
Do you prefer being called 'cabin crew' to 'flight attendant' or is there a difference?

Why did you decide to give it up? Some would see it as a very glamorous job but maybe it's very tiring as well.

What's the most unusual thing that has ever happened to you or a colleague in-flight? I'd say there are lots of stories of people behaving badly. I follow a facebook page called Passenger Shaming - it's US based but some of the things people think are ok to do in a small, confined space are just revolting.
I didn't really care, some called me a pursuer. It's really depended which country you came from.
I really enjoyed working with people but I want to change my career every few years so I can get the most out of life. I found it glamorous walking around with the uniform yes, but not so much when you have sick everywhere.
Most unusual thing is finding a large amount of drugs at the end of a flight, probably a drug mule chickened out of it last minute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manonboard View Post
Do you ever get scared when there is a problem brewing that it will be too difficult to contain?
Or do you not take it that personally and simply accept you are doing the best?

What do you think of more strict baggage rules that seem to constantly get worst? Is there really a need for them?

What do you think is the biggest thing a passenger can do to help out the flight?
Sometimes, all depend on how good the rest of the crew were. I've always had fantastic colleagues who helped each other through very difficult situation so team work got us through it. I've had very aggressive people on flights and I always had a team behind me or I was behind the team.

Planes have only a certain about of room so the rules are needed for the bags, they are 100% needed. Flights are delayed if not enforced and the bags are taken anyway.

To enjoy themselves! We are there for their safety and look after them! But not being too needy is nice and a nice hello and smile goes a long way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by January View Post
What's the scariest thing you experienced (severe turbulence, an emergency such as engine failure etc)?
I've had an APU failure halfway through a flight but nothing to worrying. Got throw to the ground before with very bad turbulence. Luckily I had no really bad incidents as they are very rare. Almost had riot with a rough stag party before, that was scary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyon View Post
Have you joined the Mile High Club yet? (Yes I know but someone was bound to ask)
No

Quote:
Originally Posted by washiskin View Post
I used to read a forum for UK flight staff that revealed a few "national treasures" were anything but when it came to manners and respect....have you ever had a well known personality be a bit of a pain?
Between Oscar winning actors, Billionares, footballers, Taoiseach etc. I've found them all lovely and grand. Usually middle aged and middle class I've had the most "treasures" from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman3000 View Post
Did you ever wish you could open the door mid flight and throw a passenger out?
That may or may not have happened.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Smith View Post
Do you have a Beside Locker?

Whats in your bedside locker?

also...

Whats the best thing a Lone traveler can do to get an upgrade or allowed sit in Business class for free....
No and being really sound to the crew and ground staff could help. You're unlikely to get upgraded for the craic unless something bad happened during your day or someone knew you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Hound View Post
Are all Pilots like Quagmire from Family Guy?? I have heard stories that they "prey" on new Cabin Crew! have you any similar stories about sleazy Pilots,
No. Vast majority of the pilots I found are perfect gentlemen and gentlewomen. Very kind and humble people with good craic!
13-03-2018, 19:19   #12
Stephen Hawkins football boots

Do pilots try it on with Air hostesses all the time?
13-03-2018, 19:22   #13

Are you straight?

Last edited by Stephen Hawkins football boots; 13-03-2018 at 19:26.
Thanks from:
13-03-2018, 19:24   #14

What was the rudest passenger you encountered and how did you deal with them?
(2) thanks from:
13-03-2018, 19:27   #15
HeidiHeidi

How on earth do you manage to deal with (and keep a smile on your face while doing so) with all the roaringly drunk/obnoxious stag/hen parties who are completely trollied (scuse the pun) before they ever board the early morning flights to places like Ibiza?

(I was unfortunate enough to be stuck with a plane-load of them last year, and I cannot express in words my admiration for the cabin crew who dealt with them with unending good humour and patience. I'd have killed them all.)
Thanks from:
Thread Closed