Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

iD Mobile Gone bust

• 06-03-2018 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭

https://www.idmobile.ie/home-march-2018

Search around for a new provider.

Since they are changing the terms of the agreement then you get to keep your phone ;)
    Get any unlock codes out of them now before they disappear.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

It says in their FAQ that 'iD Mobile customers that have an outstanding balance on an equipment contract for a phone or mobile broadband device should note that the contract is not affected and therefore they will need to continue to make payments until this outstanding balance is cleared.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

According to the FAQ payments for phones will continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Not accord to their FAQ
    What happens if customers have recently purchased a handset (phone) from iD Mobile?
    Customers who have paid in full for their handset will not be required to pay any further balances to iD Mobile.
    iD Mobile customers that have an outstanding balance on an equipment contract for a phone or mobile broadband device should note that the contract is not affected and therefore they will need to continue to make payments until this outstanding balance is cleared. iD Mobile customers will no longer be charged for mobile services but the Provisional Liquidator will contact relevant iD Mobile customers to advise of an alternative means of payment under the continuing equipment contracts.

https://www.idmobile.ie/faq-march-2018

Edit: Doh, Beaten to it. From recollection the way there contracts worked was you built it up separately based on the phone you wanted the minutes etc so I could well believe the phone part was separate to the usage part

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

cruizer101 wrote: »
    Not accord to their FAQ
    What happens if customers have recently purchased a handset (phone) from iD Mobile?

Well IDmobile , its not as simple as that as you have broken the contract, not me ! If you don't honour the contract, neither will I . Sue me !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 YUAND

The continuation of payments for phones is appalling and leaves people ridiculously out of pocket when getting a new plan e.g. if I get a Vodafone €30 sim-only plan I still have to pay that plus my iD phone payment moving me up to €50-60! Ridiculous!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

YUAND wrote:
    The continuation of payments for phones is appalling and leaves people ridiculously out of pocket when getting a new plan e.g. if I get a Vodafone €30 sim-only plan I still have to pay that plus my iD phone payment moving me up to €50-60! Ridiculous!

How is it ridiculous? That was how you chose to pay for the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 YUAND

peteb2 wrote: »
    How is it ridiculous? That was how you chose to pay for the phone.

It was how I chose to pay a functioning company for the phone but why should I be paying a bankrupt company for a phone that I can't even use on their service anymore for the next 20 odd months. I wonder what the liquidator will come back with in terms of payment collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

YUAND wrote:
    It was how I chose to pay a functioning company for the phone but why should I be paying a bankrupt company for a phone that I can't even use on their service anymore for the next 20 odd months. I wonder what the liquidator will come back with in terms of payment collection.

Request your unlock code and move network. But you agree to buy phone a certain way.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

bmm wrote: »
    Well IDmobile , its not as simple as that as you have broken the contract, not me ! If you don't honour the contract, neither will I . Sue me !!

You had two contracts, a credit plan for a phone and a unconnected service plan if I remember this setup right. The first is not broken and if the value outstanding is high enough the liquidator well might sue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

L1011 wrote: »
    You had two contracts, a credit plan for a phone and a unconnected service plan if I remember this setup right. The first is not broken and if the value outstanding is high enough the liquidator well might sue

Just checked my emails. The phone was listed separately on the one contract, but I, I'm sure like other customers, have one direct debit and one monthly payment. Personally I can see why they would ask me to continue the monthly amount for the phone, but it does leave a bad taste as this means I must only go with a sim-free plan. This means I will end up paying a higher net monthly amount through no fault of my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

No court in the land would find in favour of the liquidator. Especially considering the way the customers have been treated . Very little notice, no apology , no compensation. The customers have to suck up all the downside of this windup. IDmobile has broken one half of the contract and the customer has broken the other half! Even Steven , the judge may find!

Just checked my emails. The phone was listed separately on the one contract, but I, I'm sure like other customers, have one direct debit and one monthly payment. Personally I can see why they would ask me to continue the monthly amount for the phone, but it does leave a bad taste as this means I must only go with a sim-free plan. This means I will end up paying a higher net monthly amount through no fault of my own.

Actually, T&C's state they reserve the right to request payment in full.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Called it (not really, but writing was totally on the walls with this one)

This means I will end up paying a higher net monthly amount through no fault of my own.

It doesnt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭nailer54321

Virgin media do they same, you can purchese a phone over12/24/ months then you add on what package you want which is seperate to you mobile phone.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

No court in the land would find in favour of the liquidator. Especially considering the way the customers have been treated . Very little notice, no apology , no compensation. The customers have to suck up all the downside of this windup. IDmobile has broken one half of the contract and the customer has broken the other half! Even Steven , the judge may find!

Your wishful thinking there does not come close to reality.

A service contract and a debt repayment are two completely different things. Default on a debt is not the same as cessation of a service.

A SIM free plan elsewhere is likely to be very similar in price to the iD plan you were on, which was itself inherently a SIM free as the phone was charged separately.

You have already chosen to go for a plan + buy phone setup, albeit buying the phone on a monthly payment; rather than a subsidy-plan.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

A SIM free plan elsewhere is likely to be very similar in price to the iD plan you were on, which was itself inherently a SIM free as the phone was charged separately.

You have already chosen to go for a plan + buy phone setup, albeit buying the phone on a monthly payment; rather than a subsidy-plan.

Not to mention it's usually cheaper to buy the phone separately and go sim only, then get a phone and plan on contract.
    For example, you can get the Nokia 6 with 3 and an unlimited plan for 60 a month on a 24 month contract. Total cost - €1440
    The same plan sim only is €30 a month. The phone on it's own from three is only €200. Total cost for 24 months service - €920

• Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭SteM

Even Steven , the judge may find!

Well if you're going to quote legalize like that then I'm convinced.

ED E wrote: »

It doesnt.

It does.

• Advertisement

I understand that and would normally agree. However, ID allowed me to increase data and reduce texts/minutes which suited me. I have looked and I will have to now make the choice between paying more or settling for less as I cannot find a SIM only plan that offers 30GB of data for the same price I pay now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,058 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

30 days notice in line with the terms and conditions. Liquidators aren't in the business of apologising plus what use is that anyway, the business is bust end of. As for compensation, they aren't collecting any bills for February and March.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

You can simply return the phone.

But take it from me, liquidators are quite different to dealing with a company as a customer.

They don't give a sh1te - you are not a customer of theirs, you never will be, they have no interest in "being nice".

Straight to debt collection agency if you refuse to engage. Most debt collection agencies also act as private credit reference agencies and even if they don't take legal action, you suddenly find yourself blacklisted by many companies.

Is it worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

So I'm on a sim only with them. I pay 15 euro a month for the 30gb plan.

I hardly ever use text or make calls, it's the internet I need.

Anyone know which company has any sort of comparative plan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

courts go by legal interpretation - if such situation went to court, there's no option but to award against you as its clear in the terms and conditions people signed.

Maybe read those T&c's before making wrong assumptions

https://www.carphonewarehouse.ie/id-switchers

iba wrote: »
    So I'm on a sim only with them. I pay 15 euro a month for the 30gb plan.

I hardly ever use text or make calls, it's the internet I need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

Can you hand back the phone?

august12 wrote: »
    Can you hand back the phone?

No according to the terms and conditions. The terms and conditions also allow iD (the liquidator) to sell or transfer your equipment contract to any third party. I wonder how many people actually read the T's&C's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

iba wrote:

Three do all you can eat (unlimited, fair use policy of 60gb but you don't get charged if you go over, they just threaten to 'throttle' but I've never had it happen) for E20 prepay every 28 days. Only three to three calls are included but you have the E20 credit to spend.

30gb three sim only plan is E30, eir is E25 for six months, then E35.

If 15gb would do you, lycamobile is E15

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭JAMCAR

Three do all you can eat (unlimited, fair use policy of 60gb but you don't get charged if you go over, they just threaten to 'throttle' but I've never had it happen) for E20 prepay every 28 days. Only three to three calls are included but you have the E20 credit to spend.

Is Tethering available on 3

Advertisement