Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jdcv94

This lamp post is a meter in height and stands on a block. Unbelievable stuff in North Wexford 150m asl. Some drifts are 7/8ft, could almost climb up to the roof from them. Once in a lifetime fall this.

TXB5GK6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Great to see the army lads in action. They came by with the ESB today to sort out 1700+ people in Carrigaline who had no Electricity:

https://twitter.com/RDFRepAssoc/status/969603485690933248

Some Ve hic elll

Thanks lads ..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Cheers, just seen his latest update. Big night ahead for some I think, even worse than the last few days.

Hopefully not Lucan.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Picky owner

actaphobia wrote: »
    Yes, predicted to change to rain and thaw begins

That ain't going to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Garseys wrote: »
    Drifts here in Tallaght easily approaching a metre now. There’s been no let up!

I live Mac Ulliam, the estate is totally blocked. Every cm of the road is under a meter of snow and compacted ice. Ive no idea how long it will take to be dug out. There are some people snowed into their houses. Im convinced i wont be able to get the car out on Monday for work, i'm a bit concerned now because the snow hasn't stopped for a second today and if it continues tonight then god knows what tomorrow will look like. The Red Warning was totally justified.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Any more due in Kildare tonight?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

I would think that away from elevated ground most of the snowfall will be gone in the south by tomorrow afternoon. Flooding problems will be the next issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭nimrod86

Rala_ wrote: »
    Snow starting to really stick again, massive accumulations the last ten minutes in D12

You should see Dundrum and feels like Siberia out here.

Taken refuge in The Goat myself, will deal with getting home later.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Heavy snow band about to hit Dublin coming in off the sea
    Temp 0.2C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Eoin247 wrote: »
    They keep repeating on the news that people have cabin fever, and cant stay put much longer....

...Jesus christ it's been one day lads.

How would these people survive in an actual crisis?

I live alone just outside Cork City. Driving is out of the question.

The roads are completely impassable. Inches and inches of snow which is continuing to increase. Local shops are all closed. Many of my neighbours are elderly and even if the shops were open it is extremely dangerous to walk. It's still snowing and no sign of a thaw anytime soon.

Hasn't been one day for some people lad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Safiri

Few pics from early this morning in the hills of West Limerick. Visibility wasn't great with probably only 20 metres on the summit but thought I'd share

mZOUmRO_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

eewmCrm_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

1Zz1D6D_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

RyDhLBq_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Another couple of cm in Dublin 16 in the last 2 hours. -0.3c atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kerrycork13

Gonzo wrote: »
    snow starting to stick here again, hopefully it will top up what has melted so far today.

Where are you gonzo?I'm in rathmore

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Your man Jerry is on with maura and daiti, he must sick **** talking about this weather event by now! Where's Joanna I wonder ;).

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

elperello wrote: »
    Pair of robins hanging in here keeping each other going.
    Keep feeding folks and don't forget some water.

My water froze even with a ping pong ball in it, any other way?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭TheBody

thelad95 wrote: »
    North Kildare does seem to have gotten the absolute worst of it by far, walking around Maynooth, there is 5 foot in many places and it's up to the door handle on my front door. Absolutely zero reprieve in terms of either thaw or the snow stopping.

What are the main roads like in Maynooth?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

northgirl wrote: »
    I live alone just outside Cork City. Driving is out of the question.

The roads are completely impassable. Inches and inches of snow which is continuing to increase. Local shops are all closed. Many of my neighbours are elderly and even if the shops were open it is extremely dangerous to walk. It's still snowing and no sign of a thaw anytime soon.

Hasn't been one day for some people lad.

Aye, but I presume you are prepared. It isn't like this was something that came at you out of the blue. There couldn't have been any more warnings given to people.

Getting darker again here in Dundalk. The leading edge of that precipitation appears to be expanding northwards in the Irish Sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I am standing in the middle of the road. The drift spans it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭elperello

pc7 wrote: »
    My water froze even with a ping pong ball in it, any other way?

Ping pong ball a bit light try a tennis ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Getting plastered in Dublin 5 at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Your man Jerry is on with maura and daiti, he must sick **** talking about this weather event by now! Where's Joanna I wonder ;).

He sure skirted round the reason why we didn't get the high levels of snow...saying that we did but over the whole period..:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Aye, but I presume you are prepared. It isn't like this was something that came at you out of the blue. There couldn't have been any more warnings given to people.

I was prepared for a day or two. I had an accident on the way to work on Wednesday so that threw my preparations off slightly. I reckon it could be Monday before I can travel if even then.

I have a keen interest in the weather and have been monitoring this long before many were ,so yes, I was aware that it was going to take place. Forgive me if I, like I assume some others were, was taken slightly by surprise by it's severity.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Fine powdery snow falling and sticking in Sligo Town. What ever chance there was in taking my car beyond my drive this evening has ended again.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

Non stop precipitation all day in Citywest. It's only the last hour or two that it's been accumulating again.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

elperello wrote: »
    Ping pong ball a bit light try a tennis ball.

Cheers, my little robin coping well, some other birds visiting lots today, poor mites.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Thebeast078

Based in Swords and disappointed we did not get the snowfall expected last night.
    It has been snowing most of the day but it is very light and barely sticking. Hopefully we may get something good over the next few hours.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,285 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Artane2002 wrote: »
    Getting plastered in Dublin 5 at the moment.

Good thinking, that's the best way to deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

The main difference between this episode and previous is that it's all on the ground.
    The wind has blown the snow off every tree and roof around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭revelman

I was really surprised to find lower measurements of snow depth a few minutes ago compared to what I found this morning here near Kinsale. Surprised because we have had constant moderate (and at times heavy) snow since 8am this morning.

This morning I got measurements of 28 cm on a level part of my driveway and 60cm on the front lawn. Just now I got 26cm on the driveway and 50cm on the same spot in the front lawn. Walking a bit down the road, there does appear to be a bit of a thaw going on. Having said that the road outside my house doesn’t exactly look like it’s going to be ‘passable’ any time soon (though I’ve just discovered we are now status orange so I think I might chance taking the car out later :)

444328.jpeg

444330.jpeg

Advertisement