Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
12-02-2018, 09:12   #1
BrookieD
Registered User
 
BrookieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Dublin
Posts: 2,340
Discovery 1x15 - "Will You Take My Hand?"

Did not see one created so dropping this here - won't see till tonight but god dammit did i not just get a spoiler dropped on me from a great height in Facebook. In any case, cannot wait to see and let's discuss if you have.
BrookieD is offline  
Advertisement
12-02-2018, 09:14   #2
FutureGuy
Moderator
 
FutureGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Limerick, Ireland
Posts: 13,838
Discovery 1x15 - "Will You Take My Hand" [** SPOILERS **]

Very solid episode, not what was expected but it's what I would have expected as a resolution in classic Trek - non-violent answer when the violent way was the easy way out.

But that last 5 minutes Absolute stunning take on the design.
FutureGuy is offline  
(5) thanks from:
12-02-2018, 09:44   #3
Doodah7
Registered User
 
Doodah7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: right here
Posts: 2,251
Kind of thought the writers were hedging their bets on whether there would be a Season 2. If it was not renewed, the series would still stand on its own merits. Particularly in the last scene with the metaphorical passing of the baton as Discovery is not the last vessel seen on screen. They also kept it vague as to who the next, permanent Captain would be.
Doodah7 is offline  
Thanks from:
12-02-2018, 09:47   #4
Evade
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Wexford
Posts: 3,456
Handing L'Rell a weapon of mass destruction and letting the Empress go free just seems like a very bad idea.

What happened to the cloaking devices? The Klingon ships were just sitting there in Earth Orbit.

There were an awful lot of aliens on Qo'noS for how xenophobic they were supposed to be.

Any idea who the new captain they're picking up on Vulcan will be?

The Enterprise looks very nice
Evade is offline  
Thanks from:
12-02-2018, 09:50   #5
FutureGuy
Moderator
 
FutureGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Limerick, Ireland
Posts: 13,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodah7 View Post
Kind of thought the writers were hedging their bets on whether there would be a Season 2. If it was not renewed, the series would still stand on its own merits. Particularly in the last scene with the metaphorical passing of the baton as Discovery is not the last vessel seen on screen. They also kept it vague as to who the next, permanent Captain would be.
I think the decision to renew season 2 was made well in advance of filming finishing on season 1 so they have definitely plans for the Enterprise showing up.
FutureGuy is offline  
Advertisement
12-02-2018, 09:51   #6
FutureGuy
Moderator
 
FutureGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Limerick, Ireland
Posts: 13,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evade View Post
Handing L'Rell a weapon of mass destruction and letting the Empress go free just seems like a very bad idea.

What happened to the cloaking devices? The Klingon ships were just sitting there in Earth Orbit.

There were an awful lot of aliens on Qo'noS for how xenophobic they were supposed to be.

Any idea who the new captain they're picking up on Vulcan will be?

The Enterprise looks very nice
I reckon season 2 will be about Saru earning the chair.
FutureGuy is offline  
Thanks from:
12-02-2018, 09:55   #7
Evade
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Wexford
Posts: 3,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGuy View Post
I reckon season 2 will be about Saru earning the chair.
I thought that too but if they were to promote him doing it a Starfleet Command seems more likely than sending him to Vulcan.
Evade is offline  
12-02-2018, 10:16   #8
pah
Registered User
 
pah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Off the grid
Posts: 2,404
A decent ending to the series. I literally whooped out loud in my seat at the last 2 mins

NCC-17....
pah is offline  
(5) thanks from:
12-02-2018, 10:46   #9
ezra_
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,103
I liked it.
Nice ending, wrapped up the arc well, restores (mostly) the timeline and leaves enough lose thread for s2.

You heard it here first: Harry Mudd and the Empress - recurring antagonists!

Last edited by ezra_; 12-02-2018 at 10:52.
ezra_ is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
12-02-2018, 10:47   #10
Tristram
Registered User
 
Tristram's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,169
Send a message via ICQ to Tristram Send a message via MSN to Tristram
Rubbish episode to end what was a very good season to that point. Like tuning into a completely different show. Very disappointing.
Tristram is offline  
12-02-2018, 12:37   #11
The_Valeyard
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 12,055
i liked it

But....


They rushed the ending of the war, should have been more drawn out i think.


That last scene, excluding the speed holes, i liked it
The_Valeyard is offline  
(2) thanks from:
12-02-2018, 16:25   #12
Chrussell2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 65
Yeah I really didn’t click with this episode at all. Just felt a bit rushed for me and I just didn’t get the whole “We Are Starfleet” stand up scene on the bridge.

HOWEVER! I’m literally still buzzing off the NCC-1701. Don’t care how obvious it is - I loved it. I notice they went with the old style deflector dish in the design too. If we get to see the interior, I hope they don’t pull out the 1960s design like in DS9 and Enterprise - I’m happy for a bit of JJ’s modern take on the interior - minus the flares. I’d like to see Bruce Greenwood too!

Anyone notice Clint Howard playing then Orion than got Tilly high? He must have appeared in pretty much every Star Trek series now?!
Chrussell2 is offline  
(3) thanks from:
12-02-2018, 17:15   #13
ED E
Registered User
 
ED E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: D14
Posts: 30,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristram View Post
Rubbish episode to end what was a very good season to that point. Like tuning into a completely different show. Very disappointing.
Me too, thought it was totally naff.
ED E is online now  
Thanks from:
12-02-2018, 18:48   #14
Antar Bolaeisk
Registered User
 
Antar Bolaeisk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Saudi Arabia né Donegal
Posts: 3,012
Send a message via MSN to Antar Bolaeisk
I'm equally intrigued and horrified at the idea of them interacting with Spock on the Enterprise (timelinewise I think Discovery is currently around the events of The Cage).
Antar Bolaeisk is offline  
12-02-2018, 18:53   #15
Evade
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Wexford
Posts: 3,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antar Bolaeisk View Post
(timelinewise I think Discovery is currently around the events of The Cage).
It's a few years after that.
Evade is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet