Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-02-2018, 20:34   #1
jamesbondings

Garda Checkpoint

Today on my usual commute home i came along a country road which i usually come home by.

I was flashed multiple times by multiple cars, i thought they were to let me know about a speeding van or a gaurd with speedometer.

What i drove up to was a full checkpoint. No speed check. The gaurds were obviously on the lookout for someone as they only glanced at my tax and nct etc. I know this as my tax is out and nothing was said.

What i want to know is why, in this day and age (unless for a speed camera) one would flash and warn others about a checkpoint?

Or am i just mad?
Advertisement
09-02-2018, 20:49   #2
Wishbone Ash

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbondings View Post
...What i want to know is why, in this day and age (unless for a speed camera) one would flash and warn others about a checkpoint?...
Why 'unless for a speed camera'? If someone was speeding, I'd want them to get caught.
09-02-2018, 20:57   #3
magicbastarder

Wishbone Ash is clearly mad. it's the solemn duty of any motorist to protect other motorists from the long arm of the law. honour amongst thieves, etc.

in seriousness though - any sensible motorist going through a checkpoint like that would know it's not a speed checkpoint. what public service do they think they're providing by warning other motorists of it in an ineffectual way?
(4) thanks from:
09-02-2018, 21:09   #4
_Kaiser_

Checkpoints - nope. As above, they're usually looking for something/someone specific.

Speed traps - absolutely! Every time!
09-02-2018, 21:11   #5
SEPT 23 1989

You must be all young
Advertisement
09-02-2018, 21:27   #6
magicbastarder

depends - is that your birth date?
09-02-2018, 21:33   #7
SEPT 23 1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbastarder View Post
depends - is that your birth date?
Unfortunately not
09-02-2018, 21:45   #8
Ben D Bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Kaiser_ View Post
Speed traps - absolutely! Every time!
Why? People die because of speeding.
Thanks from:
09-02-2018, 22:18   #9
One_Of_Shanks

Well, I have to drive through Athy to get to and from work. And there's always speed cameras on the road leading up to the town and yeah you'll get flashed pretty much all the time if they're around.

However, I've been stopped 3 times in the village at check points and no, people didnt flash.
One was drink, other 2 were insurance.

So, from that wee sample, people are more likely to flash for vans and not likely to flash for actual check-points.

Only a tiny sample though...

With the camera van thingys always being there I'm usually doing 90 at most and they still flash. They're trying to be nice I suppose, who cares.
Jesus, let each to their own, for the people moaning about the ones who flash, just look after your own business.
Advertisement
09-02-2018, 23:45   #10
Wishbone Ash

Quote:
Originally Posted by One_Of_Shanks View Post
... for the people moaning about the ones who flash, just look after your own business.
You've a warped sense of logic there. Wouldn't those who flash their lights be better off minding their own business?

....and I don't think anyone was 'moaning' about it.
Thanks from:
10-02-2018, 08:02   #11
One_Of_Shanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishbone Ash View Post
You've a warped sense of logic there. Wouldn't those who flash their lights be better off minding their own business?
What I mean is just let them at it, who cares. They're just trying to be helpful in their own way.
Don't tend to bother doing it myself either tbh but sure each to their own.
10-02-2018, 08:21   #12
Jawgap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishbone Ash View Post
Why 'unless for a speed camera'? If someone was speeding, I'd want them to get caught.
I flash for speed check vans that I feel have been unfairly placed.......where they site them just to raise revenue then I'll flash to warn others, where they place them on stretches of where speed needs controlling I won't. For example, when they stick one on the R132 at the Huntsman, I'd flash for it, if they moved it north to Julianstown near the school I wouldn't.

I wouldn't flash for a checkpoint, but might give the hazards a squirt if I thought people needed to be warned about an obstruction on the road.
10-02-2018, 10:40   #13
magicbastarder

not often i'm given to quoting eddie cunningham:

https://www.independent.ie/life/moto...-35822079.html
(2) thanks from:
10-02-2018, 10:44   #14
magicbastarder

i've heard people claiming that gardai encourage flashing other drivers, as the objective is to get people to slow down, rather than to catch them. i'll believe it when i see a solid source on it.
10-02-2018, 10:50   #15
JustJoe7240

I don't understand the logic of "I want people to get caught speeding, I won't flash them", Yet flashing is probably more effective than the speed traps anyways?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion