Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-02-2018, 20:01   #1
MilesMorales1

Delivery driver sues pub for defamation after barman said €10 note was fake.

Quote:
A man says he was defamed when he was told by a barman that a €10 note he used to pay for a pint of lager was fake, the High Court heard.
Leonard Nolan (53) sued Laurence Lounge Ltd, trading as Grace's Pub of Rathmines, Dublin, for alleged defamation in the pub on April 24, 2013.
He was awarded €5,000 plus costs in the Circuit Court in 2016.

The pub appealed to the High Court which, on Friday, adjourned the matter to next week for legal submissions.

Asked by his counsel Jeremy Maher how he felt: "First I was nervous then I was devastated, words could not describe what I felt at being called a cheat".
https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/...-36587091.html
Seems a bit strong to get money and claim to be defamed about it. I've been questioned about the legitimacy of money before when buying or selling in various shops or restaurants, its a tad irritating but not giving me an anxiety attack.

Last edited by MilesMorales1; 09-02-2018 at 20:25.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
09-02-2018, 20:04   #2
Odyssey 2005

Compo culture. Probably needed the money to get a curry. .
Not a small chap.
09-02-2018, 20:06   #3
Gatling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesMorales1 View Post
Seems a bit strong to get money and claim to be defamed about it. I've been questioned about the legitimacy of money before when buying or selling in various shops or restaurants, its a tad irritating but not giving me an anxiety attack.
Even worse is claiming that the local Garda did tests on the note to confirm it was genuine ,only for local Gardai to take the stand as tell the court no such tests are done at any stations and they were not asked by anyone on the particular day at the station ,
So it is blatantly obvious he's lying about what he is claiming,
But expect him to receive compensation of some sort
09-02-2018, 20:11   #4
SEPT 23 1989

Leonard was nervous and devastated
(3) thanks from:
09-02-2018, 20:12   #5
badboyblast

Wasters , how are we entertaining them , the mind boggles
Advertisement
09-02-2018, 20:15   #6
SeaFields
Gone fishin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatling View Post
But expect him to receive compensation of some sort
Well he has. €5k awarded by the circuit court. The pub has appealed it to the high. If overturned and the costs are awarded against him in the high, he won't be drinking any pints for awhile.
09-02-2018, 20:19   #7
enricoh

A fairly sensitive soul. A 53 year old delivery driver I would have thought would be used to the trials and tribulations of life. Obviously not, especially with no win no fee solicitors about!
09-02-2018, 20:21   #8
whisky_galore

Fast food delivery man, I'd say he takes some work home with him.

We have turned into one compo chasing, litigious little country.
09-02-2018, 20:25   #9
99 Bortles of Beer

Wait a minute.

His story is that he left the pub, got it checked by the Gardaí and then went back into the pub to inform the barman that the Gardaí had verified it was real.

The Gardaí - on the surface of it, as credible a witness you could have in an Irish court case - have denied this and said they don't even have such a machine to check the legitimacy of notes.

And he WON the case?

What the fúck is wrong with the courts?
(135) thanks from:
4Ad, 9or10, ahnowbrowncow, Akrasia, Assetbacked, Augme, Ave Sodalis, Big Pussy Bonpensiero, blackbox, blue note, boombang, Borderfox, bottlebrush, Canis Lupus, Cessna_Pilot, Chancer3001, charolais0153, Chiorino, claiomh solais, Cookie_Monster, CountingCrows, daisybun, Damien360, DBB, deadlineday, deise08, Del.Monte, dirkmeister, dmc17, downesy, dr.fuzzenstein, drake70, Dtp1979, dusty207, easygoing39, Eathrin, ED E, enda1, endacl, Essien, eurokev, Fieldog, Flex, For Forks Sake, Four Phucs Ache, frozenfrozen, Fr_Dougal, fuerte1976, Gen.Zhukov, GhostyMcGhost, Glico Man, Green farmer, hairyprincess, Herb Powell, Hotblack Desiato, howdoyouknow, iamwhoiam, Inviere, IrishGrimReaper, ixoy, jamesbere, jimmycrackcorm, joeysoap, jt69er, Juanito13, K.Flyer, kingchess, Kivaro, kylith, LisaLee, Lithium93_, Luckycharms_74, massdebater, McGaggs, Meeoow, Meleftone, melonstar, mikhail, Mooooo, MysticalRain, NATLOR, nkav86, notsoyoungwan, Odyssey 2005, Omackeral, overshoot, Padkir, PandaPoo, pauliebdub, Penny Tration, PMC999, podge3, Posy, PrettyBoy, Pulsating Star, quadrifoglio verde, RacoonQueen, Raging_Ninja, Randle P. McMurphy, rawn, RichTea123, Roger Hassenforder, S. Goodspeed, saintsaltynuts, selectamatic, seligehgit, Shelflife, Sir Dosser, skibum, Skid X, StinkyMunkey, suicide_circus, SuperTortoise, SureYWouldntYa, sydthebeat, TheDavester, the_syco, tom_k, TOss Sweep, Touchee, Ultimate Seduction, Varik, Venom, verycool, VG31, Vic_08, weldoninhio, WesternZulu, wextext, whiskeyman, whisky_galore, Widdensushi, Wiggles88, WinnyThePoo, wowy
Advertisement
09-02-2018, 20:28   #10
Odhinn

I thought defamation had to be written/published...
(2) thanks from:
09-02-2018, 20:29   #11
badboyblast

A friend of mine clipped another drivers wing mirror in traffic and they claimed for whiplash.

cars were barely moving , the claimant said she couldn't attend work, my friend knew where she worked ( polish community , they all know each other ) and went and took pictures of her at work and her car being there and gave them to the insurance company but they said they couldn't use them .

They also said they were going to pay out as when the judge sees there was impact he will rule against them , over ten grand the c##£ got for a broken wing mirror.

My friend had to sell their car and go down to one car between them after the claim as the insurance was too high , this country is a joke when it comes to claims
09-02-2018, 20:30   #12
Roger Hassenforder

The bottom button on the shirt said "fcuk this" and let go...
09-02-2018, 20:31   #13
Cherry_Cola

Haha the gut hanging out in the picture of him and all! Maybe he needs the money for tailored clothes!
09-02-2018, 20:46   #14
Atoms for Peace

"Under common law, to constitute defamation, a claim must generally be false and must have been made to someone other than the person defamed.[2] Some common law jurisdictions also distinguish between spoken defamation, called slander, and defamation in other media such as printed words or images, called libel.[3]"

According to wikipedia it wasn't even defamation.
Thanks from:
09-02-2018, 20:48   #15
MilesMorales1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odhinn View Post
I thought defamation had to be written/published...
Isn't that Libel?
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion