Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

If you’d be interested in an EV box for less than 1k pm me and I’ll send you on the details of where I’m getting mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭pobber1

I got it down to about 1250 before grant for a tethered zappi V2 and a fairly straightforward install, so going with that.

That's pretty good. I think the fact my fuse box is in the middle of the house and I have an air to water heating system is complicating matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,098 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

What's the VW one like for €399 https://www.electrive.com/2019/09/11/vw-announces-e399-id-3-wallbox-charger/
    Not available until November though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

What's the VW one like for €399 https://www.electrive.com/2019/09/11/vw-announces-e399-id-3-wallbox-charger/
    Not available until November though.

That looks like a great charger, wouldn't worry about November, not that far away really

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

pobber1 wrote: »
    That's pretty good. I think the fact my fuse box is in the middle of the house and I have an air to water heating system is complicating matter.

You need an intelligent charger that will modulate the charge to the EV with respect to what the HP is drawing. This will lead to longer charging times at night
    IIRC a simple priority switch will not work in this case

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

slave1 wrote: »
    That looks like a great charger, wouldn't worry about November, not that far away really

My €600 charger does what the "VW badged" charger at €900 does for that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭mightybashful

rolion wrote: »
    My €600 charger does what the "VW badged" charger at €900 does for that price.

But it's €400?

But it's €400?

If I read correctly, the €400 has no interaction with outside worlds, is just a "big granny charger" covered and sold with a nice badge.
      Don't think you as a home user needs digital meters and hourly billing but probable you will love a mobile app / web based interface to it.

Ahh, those prices are introductory btw ! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭mightybashful

If I read correctly, the €400 has no interaction with outside worlds, is just a "big granny charger" covered and sold with a nice badge.
        Don't think you as a home user needs digital meters and hourly billing but probable you will love a mobile app / web based interface to it.

Ahh, those prices are introductory btw ! ;)

It does look nice in fairness :)

What charger have ya by the way? Still looking for something meself

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭pobber1

You need an intelligent charger that will modulate the charge to the EV with respect to what the HP is drawing. This will lead to longer charging times at night
        IIRC a simple priority switch will not work in this case

Maybe a "smart" priority switch would work, if there is such a thing.

• Advertisement
      • Registered Users Posts: 9,403 ✭✭✭TheChizler

pobber1 wrote: »

Maybe a "smart" priority switch would work, if there is such a thing.
        The Zappi does, if not mentioned already

TheChizler wrote: »
        The Zappi does, if not mentioned already

I believe the one that Rolion here got does as well. I think he mentioned it further up

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Getting one of these installed right this minute:
        https://www.eocharging.com/eo-mini

Should be about €1150 pre-grant for that and a load balancing unit installed. Installer is http://evpowerireland.ie/

I'll weigh in later again when I see the quality of the work. Won't have my i3 for another week though so I won't be able to review it on that aspect!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

al lour work depots have charge points, so I'm more or less sorted.

want to get one for the house though, have the grant approved, will only be used every few weeks probably, whats the ebst option? the zappi one?!

2015 tesla model s 90d in few weeks.

cheers,

Rob

copeyhagen wrote: »
        want to get one for the house though, have the grant approved, will only be used every few weeks probably, whats the ebst option? the zappi one?!

What I've come to realise is that the model of wall charger is pretty unimportant in the grand scheme of things.

Smart wall chargers are generally a waste of money if your car comes with the right necessities to be smart itself.

For example, my i3 will be able to set a charging schedule, and the car itself, or the BMW Connected app, can control most of this. So there would be zero point in me looking for a wall charger with that functionality.

I believe the Model S is capable of doing a scheduled charging built-in.

Without caring about smart stuff, or solar panel compatibility, your wall charger choices to make are the power rating (3.6kW or 7kW) and tethered vs untethered. Brand really only seems to affect aesthetics and build quality.

MJohnston wrote: »
        What I've come to realise is that the model of wall charger is pretty unimportant in the grand scheme of things.

Smart wall chargers are generally a waste of money if your car comes with the right necessities to be smart itself.

For example, my i3 will be able to set a charging schedule, and the car itself, or the BMW Connected app, can control most of this. So there would be zero point in me looking for a wall charger with that functionality.

Without caring about smart stuff, or solar panel compatibility, your wall charger choices to make are the power rating (3.6kW or 7kW) and tethered vs untethered. Brand really only seems to affect aesthetics and build quality.

There are two aspects to the intelligence of the wall unit.
        The first is how it can deal with the car/ night rates etc.
        The second is how it balances the load being pulled to cater for HPs and electric showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

As Calahonda has said the "smart" element isnt really about charge timers. They are best left to the car timers.

Its more about being smart with load balancing and load limiting and Solar if you want that. Those are alot more important than having timer capability in the charge point and thats where the "smart" bit is really.

cheers for replies, watched a bit more on the zappi, wont be getting soalr panels installed in enxt few years if ever, so just gonna go with the basic one. electric shwoers getting ripped out today as part of a new boiler installation and replaced with pressure system.

think ill just go with electricirelands ones, plan on doing 90% of my charging for free in work anyway :)

KCross wrote: »
        As Calahonda has said the "smart" element isnt really about charge timers. They are best left to the car timers.

Its more about being smart with load balancing and load limiting and Solar if you want that. Those are alot more important than having timer capability in the charge point and thats where the "smart" bit is really.

True, although the one I just got done, there was a separate Auto Load Management unit installed into the external metre box:

https://eocharging.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360016116972-EO-ALM-Product-Overview

So it's not the end of the world if the wall charger itself doesn't have that functionality!

Here's my EO Mini install done by EV Power:

Jb3yesE.jpg

Really happy with this - the charger is very discreet, barely juts out beyond the drain pipe there. We've a Ring video doorbell up front, so no real need for security features on the charger itself.

• Advertisement

True, although the one I just got done, there was a separate Auto Load Management unit installed into the external metre box:

https://eocharging.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360016116972-EO-ALM-Product-Overview

So it's not the end of the world if the wall charger itself doesn't have that functionality!

You cant, for instance, buy a "dumb" Rolec and then fit that Auto Load management thing to the meter box. They go hand in hand and you've bought a charge point that can handle those signals to drop the load down when it senses other things in the house coming on. Thats good. Good purchase imo.

What I'm saying is, you have to buy a charge point that can load sense. You cant make it load sense later if it doesnt have the capability to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,766 ✭✭✭✭unkel

electric shwoers getting ripped out today as part of a new boiler installation and replaced with pressure system.

Nice one, you won't regret getting rid of those pieces of sh1te :D

Did you consider going solar thermal (€1200 subsidy) while you were replacing the boiler (and presumably your hot water cylinder)?
        think ill just go with electricirelands ones, plan on doing 90% of my charging for free in work anyway :)

It's a decent deal. Try and get them to install using 6mm2 cable and a 40A RCBO. If they do that it's easy to upgrade the unit to 32A later DIY

unkel wrote: »
        Nice one, you won't regret getting rid of those pieces of sh1te :D

Did you consider going solar thermal (€1200 subsidy) while you were replacing the boiler (and presumably your hot water cylinder)?

It's a decent deal. Try and get them to install using 6mm2 cable and a 40A RCBO. If they do that it's easy to upgrade the unit to 32A later DIY

they emailed me back, circontrol ehome 7.4kw type 2 with 5m tethered for 1100 inc vat.

so that's 1100 minus the 600 grant I presume, still more than I was hoping to spend.

anything wrong with any of these:
        https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=home+ev+charger&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

as long as theyre 32amp? can we still use them with the grant, just claim back at the end when the leccy signs off on it yeh?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭JohnC.

If you do buy a charge point from the UK, are there any complications for the grant? In terms of currency, I mean. Or is the cost of the point irrelevant? I don’t actually know what information they look for other than it being properly signed off at the end of installation and the picture.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,136 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

JohnC. wrote: »
        If you do buy a charge point from the UK, are there any complications for the grant? In terms of currency, I mean. Or is the cost of the point irrelevant? I don’t actually know what information they look for other than it being properly signed off at the end of installation and the picture.

No it doesn't matter at all. They don't look for receipts or anything just a total cost of charger and install.

think ill go with a tethered 32amp from amazon so. try get one of the lads from in here to fit it then. will be doing majority of charging in work, so don't need anything fancy

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

JohnC. wrote: »

I bought mine second hand on the Facebook Group for €200. No problems at all with the full €600 Grant.

kceire wrote: »
        I bought mine second hand on the Facebook Group for €200. No problems at all with the full €600 Grant.

whats the facebrook group kc?

cheers.

Mad prices for dummy chargers... just "bigger granny cables" in nice and costly cases.

Got my EVcharger from H E R E,i can say that is the smartest charger on the EU zone market not only by design & works but by mobile app, controls, settings and notifications.
        One is working grand,waiting for the second.

• Advertisement

Mad prices for dummy chargers... just "bigger granny cables" in nice and costly cases.

Got my EVcharger from H E R E,i can say that is the smartest charger on the EU zone market not only by design & works but by mobile app, controls, settings and notifications.
        One is working grand,waiting for the second.

Looking at website that's €695 ex shipping. Is that what you paid?

Any ongoing costs (app use, cloud account etc)?
        Does it have any load sensing capability as I dont see it in the main page?

Advertisement