Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland 2040 plan "will kill rural Ireland"

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭CarlosHarpic

These kinds of people are driven by one thing only when you really get down to it. The GAA. It always comes down to making sure that the Parish Games have enough players in each muddy rain-soaked field next to a packed church for sunday mass. I have also long suspected that the GAA is unoffically involved in 'sweetening' these kinds of groups. The Catholic Church too. The weaponised Comley Maidiens faction.

Apart from their own myopia, they only other function they serve is to hold this country back and make it as expensive as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Ironically rural Ireland is being killed by the one off housing / road frontage brigade. The same people who are complaining about this plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

Deedsie wrote: »
    Dominant Gaelic football team in Ireland?? Dublin... Cop on to yourself, The GAA does far more good than bad. Blaming the GAA for the problems facing rural Ireland is idiotic. It's an amazing association that communities are built around. You clearly have no idea what you are talking about. If it wasn't for the GAA rural Ireland would be in an even worse place than it is now.

What if you live in rural Ireland and do not play the Parish Games? Suicide?

You are also full of it. I know lots of planning decisions granted based on providing players for local parish clubs. This is a huge aspect of the one off housing ffs.

One player got planning permission for a large house with expansive frontage on a busy new N road (for his tractors) because he said he would play for the next parish if he did not get it. This kind of muppertry goes on constantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,440 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Of course those of us born and working here deserve local services too.

• Advertisement

Also, observe the devious tactics of these rural mullahs. A major part of the 2040 plan is to finally make proper cities of Limerick, Cork and Waterford. Which is what makes it really good in my books. Yet what do they mention DUBLIN Airport.

Those of you defending these clowns on here don't be complaining when the Metro is cancelled because of them.

This is why we are the way we are infrastructure wise. The reason why Dublin is never developed begins as culture (GAA clubs and parish halls) in rural Ireland long before it becomes national politics.

You should be very afraid of these clowns. They have more influence over politicians and senior civil servants than the best planning and transportation consultants on the planet.

_Brian wrote: »
    Of course those of us born and working here deserve local services too.

Where exactly is local when you've kilometers upon kilometers of one off housing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Reati

What a sh*tty attitude. Seriously.

They pay taxes for those services just like you. Public services are not a business or profit making exercise. All people who live in this county deserve the necessary public services no matter where they choose to live.

If you don't think the Government of Ireland should provide services to "the blight" then there should be a rural tax refund as they aren't getting services.

I'd take rural Ireland any day over living beside Fintan,Grace Chloe and their 2.3 kids in a 3 bed semi in South Dublin by the Luas line with views of the mountains through the apartment blocks next door.

Reati wrote: »

They pay taxes for those services just like you. Public services are not a business or profit making exercise. All people who live in this county deserve the necessary public services no matter where they choose to live.

If you don't think the Government of Ireland should provide services to "the blight" then there should be a rural tax refund as they aren't getting services.

I'd take rural Ireland any day over living beside Fintan,Grace Chloe and their 2.3 kids in a 3 bed semi in South Dublin by the Luas line with views of the mountains through the apartment blocks next door.
    Great I'm off to Rockall. When can I expect my school, hospital, roads, etc?

There is already a rural tax refund its called the subvention of Ireland by Dublin.

• Advertisement

The GAA is great........ if you are on the team.

The higher the level of the team, the more benefit you get from the GAA.

Otherwise, the GAA does nothing for anyone in the community that does not benefit them directly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Except Dublin and the greater Leinster region where almost 50% of the population live already heavily subside rural Ireland.

If rural Ireland were to rely on the taxation they pay alone it would look like a region out of a 3rd World country

Reati wrote: »

A view of the mountains, you'll pay well for that

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Ironically rural Ireland is being killed by the one off housing / road frontage brigade.
    Don't forget the stone cladding and Roman pillars!

The rural > urban move has been going since the industrial revolution.

Short of the technology of the world ceasing to function, its not going to change

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

The rural > urban move has been going since the industrial revolution.

Short of the technology of the world ceasing to function, its not going to change
    Agreed. During recessions it’s true that most intra-migration is economically based but rural to urban migration occurs during booms too.

There’s this idea out there that rural young people are forced to move to cities but mostly they want to, it’s not just about jobs. Lifestyle too.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,939 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Could you expand on that please?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Rural Ireland has been destroyed by one off houses for the best part of a century making it difficult to provide services in clusters like towns or villages.

Our larger rural towns are ignored and cities like Cork and Galway are screaming for basic infrastructure (like a road around them; or anything more than the most basic bus service).
    Ironically rural Ireland is being killed by the one off housing / road frontage brigade. The same people who are complaining about this plan.

This, a million times this.

All of this failure, and yet the task force established to draw attention to it begins life by criticising the lack of rural airports.

We don't need rural airports. Airlines are not investing in our rural airports because we a small island nation. One major international airport is enough. Look at the Netherlands - a bit smaller than Ireland but with 17m people and two major aiports, Schipol carrying 68 million (twice that of Dublin) and Eindhoven, which is comparable to Cork.

These guys are doing themselves a disservice by highlighting the wrong things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Nermal

2040 is too far away. How can we speed this up?

sdanseo wrote: »

These guys are doing themselves a disservice by highlighting the wrong things.

This is how these creatures are wired. The can't function any other way. Remember WEst On Track? They wanted public transport in the west of Ireland... Great so let's create a fully timetabled rural bus network feeding into Galway, Limerick and Sligo. So instead, they demand some single track linefor the best part of a billion euros to meander three trains a day to cities already rail connected. I was roaring laughing at some WoT hysteric on the radio screaming about 'we are living on the reservation out side the Pale!!!' I stopped laughing when the DoT cut them a cheque for 300 million and the Dart Underground and the Metro was cancelled.

'we want deh train boyo and we have a priest!'

looksee wrote: »
    Could you expand on that please?

I think he means the overall tax take and the transfer of the income from urban regions like Dublin and Cork into the rest of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

And Rural Ireland has been killing Urban Ireland for decades. Progress is a bitch.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

D.L.R. wrote: »
    And Rural Ireland has been killing Urban Ireland for decades. Progress is a bitch.
    In addition..

Rural Ireland has been holding up rural Ireland for decades. Town centres becoming derelict whilst every approach road gets lined with thousands of one off houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

>>> 100% agree <<<

Everyone wants to live in their ugly monstrosity on an acre while simultaneously complaining about the lack of nearby services

I'm quite happy living in my <house designed around the surrounding landscape> on my over an acre without services on my doorstep. But go ahead and generalise, really intelligent way to debate.

368100 wrote: »
    I'm quite happy living in my <house designed around the surrounding landscape> on my over an acre without services on my doorstep. But go ahead and generalise, really intelligent way to debate.

I'm sure there are many thousands of people very happy in their rural houses each on an acre of land. Wonder how much of it you utilise other than for staring at.

Unfortunately the collective are causing planning to be an uphill struggle and even more unfortunately a quick peek at google maps tells you the damage is done.

I'm sure there are many thousands of people very happy in their rural houses each on an acre of land. Wonder how much of it you utilise other than for staring at.

Unfortunately the collective are causing planning to be an uphill struggle and even more unfortunately a quick peek at google maps tells you the damage is done.

Well its my land, bought and paid for by me so I'm perfectly entitled to utilise it or not as I want.

368100 wrote: »
    Well its my land, bought and paid for by me so I'm perfectly entitled to utilise it or not as I want.

Within the confines of the Planning Acts, which unfortunately are not restrictive enough.

No one is blaming you, I'm blaming national policy over decades.

• Advertisement

Within the confines of the Planning Acts, which unfortunately are not restrictive enough.

No one is blaming you, I'm blaming national policy over decades.

Im certainly open to the argument about policy, not argoing it's what it should be. My original point was about the generalisation that all rural dwellers do nothing but complain, which isn't true. I spend 4 hours a day commuting in and out of Dublin, again not complaining as it's the price I pay for living where I do. I also like the balance of being in the city during the day and getting out to the country each evening, best of both worlds (for me)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement